oneBoro Forum

Boro v Bristol City 1-3 (Fry)

17 minutes ago, Dan1234 said:

I don't get why so many on here think the only 2 options are a long ball defensive hoof merchant like Pulis or Warnock or a young guy with no experience and local connections like Woodgate.

I'm not saying those are the only options, I'm trying to point out that Gibson's recent track record of appointments is rubbish. 

Can you really see him thinking outside of the box? 

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I swear to God, some of you guys love to swim around in all the agony.  Some of you even swim around on your backs, using a straw to take small sips from the Lake of Agony, then guggeling the nice war

As long as we give him the best boots. 

I for one hope Warnock stays next season. Majority of people were happy/expected mid table when he took over. Now we are there and achieving that, you all want him out?  This squad isn’t very good,

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I'm not saying those are the only options, I'm trying to point out that Gibson's recent track record of appointments is rubbish. 

Karanka was outside the box. But that's one out of...  A lot. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Neverbefore said:

Karanka was outside the box. But that's one out of...  A lot. 

I just can't see us going down that route again. I think he wants an experienced manager who he can trust or a rookie he can control. 

I'd love to go down the foreign route because it opens up so many more options for bringing players but I don't think Gibson wants to feel like he's losing control of the club. 

I honestly see people like Steve Bruce, Mark Hughes and Mick Mccarthy being the types of managers we'll see in the future, either that or someone like Downing/ George Friend.

• Sad 2
2 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I just can't see us going down that route again. I think he wants an experienced manager who he can trust or a rookie he can control. 

I'd love to go down the foreign route because it opens up so many more options for bringing players but I don't think Gibson wants to feel like he's losing control of the club. 

I honestly see people like Steve Bruce, Mark Hughes and Mick Mccarthy being the types of managers we'll see in the future, either that or someone like Downing/ George Friend.

This makes me utterly miserable, mainly because you're probably right. Pulis and Warnock in the space of a year is bad enough, if we have to add another from the British manager club I honestly don't know how eager I'll be to watch us every week anymore. Its already at an all time low (far worse than Strachan and mogga at their worst, albeit with better results).

37 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Is there anyone who still thinks that Warnock is the right manager?

He throws his team under the bus, moans about not having the right players (even though he’s signed an entire teams worth), he plays a long ball game that is totally down to chance and doesn’t suit the players that we have and spends the whole match screaming at the ref instead of at the players. 

I really don’t understand the love for Warnock, can someone please explain why he has so much adulation on this message board (and on fmttm). When he was first appointed I got slated for saying that he’s another in a long line of poor appointments, if anything, he’s worse than I thought he would be. We need to get someone in before next season starts so that he can evaluate the players we have and get them playing football.

We need a proper plan and a decent manager, I’m sick of this club spending a fortune on unneeded players and then promising that things will be better once we get them off the wage bill, it’s farcical. 

The right manager or the best we can hope for with Gibson's track record is probably a better way of putting it right now.

I think the 'throwing the team under the bus' thing is a bit overplayed, to be honest. I think how he's dealt with our forwards leaves a sour taste in the mouth (wanting opposition strikers as opposed to his own, including one he signed) but I think he's just telling us more than others in his position would. He's not the only manager who will go in at half-time 3-0 down and have a right go at his players, some managers will be less honest about it in the press but I prefer him to say that as he thinks it is, I prefer to know what he's actually thinking instead of being given the bland meaningless Monk responses or the feigned honesty of Pulis.

The other aspect to it though is that I think him, Blackwell and Jepson work together in a way that allows him to blow his top without losing the respect of the players. It won't be the first time he's had a go at them this season but look at them after the Reading game, the players and management team are together. He's said something in the past akin to he'll have a go and then the next day, they move on as people. I think we've seen enough broken dressing rooms in the past to see this probably isn't one of them. As an addition to that, I don't think we've ever seen a manager at this club so publicly and positively speak about some of his players. McNair, Fry, Dijksteel, Bola, Howson, Tav are all players I can think of from the top of my head that he's in some way publicly put on a pedestal and by and large done it at the right time, too.

He is absolutely stubborn in how he wants us to play but then that doesn't make him much different to other managers we've had, including the best manager we've had for the past 10 years. Karanka played the game his way and nothing made him change that until we got promoted. It wasn't exactly a stellar brand of football either but it got the job done and I think a lot of people would forgive him for that if it got us into the play-offs this year, though whether that's more down to the mid-table expectations a lot had I don't know.

Don't get me wrong, in spite of all this I'd prefer someone other than Warnock in charge of the club in terms of how we play on the pitch and yeah, taking a bit more responsibility on that front would go a long way at times. I also think yeah, we're far too inconsistent and that's a problem he needs to solve if we want to finish in the top 6 (and I still 100% believe he has to finish in the top 6 with this squad and with all the experience him and his staff have at their disposal or he has failed this season). But I also think there are aspects to his management that I really like that I wasn't expecting. I think despite what people have said about his response to last night, him and his team by and large have the respect of the dressing room because it would be wrong to say all parts of the team just get unfettered abuse. Him, Blackwell, Jepson, they seem to walk that tightrope of feedback well with a lot of players in a way that allows them to critique and encourage. And he manages that while still giving us more information about what goes on behind the scenes than any manager has ever really done.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Can I see him doing it? Probably not but that's more to do with how disillusioned I've become with the Boro since probably Karanka left. Now whether we win or lose its all very meh. 

I'd say Robson and McLaren were both ambitious appointments, Venebles too along with Karanka. 

I dont get why he wouldn't want to think out the box? Surely as a Boro fan not just owner, he enjoyed the promotion season with Karanka. It certainly brought some amazing nights at the Riverside. He must be able to see how much better those times were compared with Pulis/Warnock and Woodgate. I don't get why he'd intentionally self sabotage.

3 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

This makes me utterly miserable, mainly because you're probably right. Pulis and Warnock in the space of a year is bad enough, if we have to add another from the British manager club I honestly don't know how eager I'll be to watch us every week anymore. Its already at an all time low (far worse than Strachan and mogga at their worst, albeit with better results).

This is miles better than Strachan for me, at least Warnock seems to 'get' the club and know the league. I prefer this to Woodgate and Monk as well, it does feel like we have a manager who knows how to get results. 

Of the pragmatic British managers I think this is about as close as being as good as it gets. 

I'm not saying I'm overly happy with our current style on the pitch but I feel like we are in a reasonably safe pair of hands under Warnock. The worry for me is when Gibson has a vision which he and no one else can see. Thats when we're more likely to end up with another Woodgate. 

• Like 1
Just now, Dan1234 said:

I'd say Robson and McLaren were both ambitious appointments, Venebles too along with Karanka. 

Can someone explain to me why Robson was an ambitious appointment? Genuine question. He also came straight out of the game didn't he? Would we call Lampard or Rooney at Derby ambitious appointments too? What about Southgate or Woodgate? 😄

I think McClaren would probably also essentially line up with Karanka in terms of ambition too, right? Both assistants to world class managers but with no real success or failure attributed to them.

Have we really ever made an ambitious appointment? Or are these just examples of more ambitious because of where they learned their trade?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Dan1234 said:
24 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Can I see him doing it? Probably not but that's more to do with how disillusioned I've become with the Boro since probably Karanka left. Now whether we win or lose its all very meh. 

I dont get why he wouldn't want to think out the box? Surely as a Boro fan not just owner, he enjoyed the promotion season with Karanka. It certainly brought some amazing nights at the Riverside. He must be able to see how much better those times were compared with Pulis/Warnock and Woodgate. I don't get why he'd intentionally self sabotage.

Look i agree with you, I want the same type of vision as you. 

I'm just saying how I think Gibson sees it. 

Lets face it, the Robson days are long gone though. The game has changed too much to bring those days back. 

5 minutes ago, Duvel said:

This is miles better than Strachan for me, at least Warnock seems to 'get' the club and know the league. I prefer this to Woodgate and Monk as well, it does feel like we have a manager who knows how to get results. 

Of the pragmatic British managers I think this is about as close as being as good as it gets. 

I'm not saying I'm overly happy with our current style on the pitch but I feel like we are in a reasonably safe pair of hands under Warnock. The worry for me is when Gibson has a vision which he and no one else can see. Thats when we're more likely to end up with another Woodgate. 

It's not so much Warnock, it's the string of managers we have had that's getting me so down about the club. The fact that since mogga really, weve either had managers who focus on defending first and stiffling games or managers with attacking ambitions but who don't have a bloody clue. I accepted it with karanka because of the success he brought and the fact that on occasions we did break out into good football. 

When it's manager after manager it really brings you down. 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I agree with you on this, Gibson and his team haven't got a clue, we took the budget option with Woodgate, and as for thinking outside the box its a matchbox in Gibson's eyes .I've said it before and I'll say it again  being chairman of a football club for over 30 years doesn't make you a good judge of football and Gibson comes into this category along with his entourage.

• Like 1

With me its got to the stage were I don't expect anything positive to come out of the club and that's a sad state of affairs, and the blame lies totally at the chairman's doorstep, he has taken this club so far backwards its shocking. To be honest not been able to go to the Riverside this season has been a blessing in disguise and the only thing good to come out of lockdown.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I for one hope Warnock stays next season. Majority of people were happy/expected mid table when he took over. Now we are there and achieving that, you all want him out? 
This squad isn’t very good, certainly not top 6. Not to mention we have had key injuries all the way throughout the season. Dijksteel, Fry, Hall, Howson, Tav, Bolasie, Fletcher, Browne and I’m sure there is more. 
If you really think a new manager is going to come in here with this group of squad and improve it significantly then I think you’re dreaming tbh. We are punching above our weight, and that’s with Warnock improving the likes of Fry, Dijksteel and Bola massively from last season. 

This season isn’t over so pointless being negative all the time. It’s the same after every loss. If we beat Cardiff then we again truly in the mix for top 6. We all know how quickly this league changes and how anyone can beat anyone. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@BoroSmoggie your argument that were not good enough falls apart a little when you look at who we are achieving good results against Vs who we are struggling against. Were not beating teams who are significantly weaker on paper than us whereas were not doing too badly against the better teams in the league. 

I think with the additions in January we have a top 6 squad now. I didn't before that and we were only a couple of points behind so there's absolutely no reason why this group of players shouldn't be in the top 6.

• Like 3

What effect does Brexit have on getting a foreign manager? Any? None? I don’t know just wonder if it’s a consideration. 

If it doesn’t I would like to see Reitzger but maybe not yet. This summer is a great opportunity to rebuild the squad but I think it may need someone with real knowledge of the championship.