oneBoro Forum

Boro v Bristol City 1-3 (Fry)

The past three games sums up our season in a nutshell. Just as we start to look like we start to look like we've clicked, we slump to an unforeseen embarrassing defeat. It's that inconsistency that has underpinned our season. Last season we were consistently bad, whereas this season we've fluttered between good and bad results. While we're disappointed and frustrated, we really don't need to rip everything up and start again. Sign a new goalkeeper, CB who is a leaders and genuine target man then we'll be good enough for promotion. We need to let Warnock build the team to suit his style, not rip up the foundations yet again. We've need to stop going around in circles like we have since relegation in 2017.

• Like 2
  • Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I swear to God, some of you guys love to swim around in all the agony.  Some of you even swim around on your backs, using a straw to take small sips from the Lake of Agony, then guggeling the nice war

As long as we give him the best boots. 

I for one hope Warnock stays next season. Majority of people were happy/expected mid table when he took over. Now we are there and achieving that, you all want him out?  This squad isn’t very good,

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

I for one hope Warnock stays next season. Majority of people were happy/expected mid table when he took over. Now we are there and achieving that, you all want him out? 
This squad isn’t very good, certainly not top 6. Not to mention we have had key injuries all the way throughout the season. Dijksteel, Fry, Hall, Howson, Tav, Bolasie, Fletcher, Browne and I’m sure there is more. 
If you really think a new manager is going to come in here with this group of squad and improve it significantly then I think you’re dreaming tbh. We are punching above our weight, and that’s with Warnock improving the likes of Fry, Dijksteel and Bola massively from last season. 

This season isn’t over so pointless being negative all the time. It’s the same after every loss. If we beat Cardiff then we again truly in the mix for top 6. We all know how quickly this league changes and how anyone can beat anyone. 

If this squad isn't a top 6 squad, I don't know what is tbh. Injuries are fair enough, we've not always had our first choice team fit this season but taking that out of consideration, this is easily capable of being top 6. Some people go on about the quality of our squad as if it needs significant improvements all over but that takes away from the fact most teams in this division are not very good.

15 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

@BoroSmoggie your argument that were not good enough falls apart a little when you look at who we are achieving good results against Vs who we are struggling against. Were not beating teams who are significantly weaker on paper than us whereas were not doing too badly against the better teams in the league. 

I think with the additions in January we have a top 6 squad now. I didn't before that and we were only a couple of points behind so there's absolutely no reason why this group of players shouldn't be in the top 6.

All fair points. What I would say though about struggling against lesser teams is that that what makes me think this squad just isn’t good enough. We can raise our performance and get a result against the big boys, but whenever the onus is on us to get a result and go and score the goals we more often then not struggle. Not sure if it’s a mentality thing or what, but again our squad is pretty young. 

Agree on the squad we have currently, probably is a top 6 squad. However the miss of Tav and Bolasie (and now Fletcher) imo doesn’t make it one. When everyone is fit, yes I’d agree. I’d have loved see Kebano, Tav and Bolasie behind Fletch. 

3 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

If this squad isn't a top 6 squad, I don't know what is tbh. Injuries are fair enough, we've not always had our first choice team fit this season but taking that out of consideration, this is easily capable of being top 6. Some people go on about the quality of our squad as if it needs significant improvements all over but that takes away from the fact most teams in this division are not very good.

Yeah, when everyone is fit, with the squad we have now, post January, it is a top 6 squad. However any team that has Britt/Akpom as there options for the season simply isn’t enough. 
Before January though, let’s not forget we were playing the likes of Spence. Johnson and Coulson on the wings. That’s bottom half standard options in key areas. Our options from the bench for most of the season has been Spence, Coulson, Roberts, Wing then Akpom/Britt. Sorry but that’s no where near the quality needed for a top 6 side. 
I’ve always thought the starting 11 we put out is usually semi decent, but as soon as we get injuries, we’d struggle. That has been the case, with Fry, Tav and Fletch specifically. We also didn’t have Watmore for the first half of the season either.

Does anyone know where I could find a table for the amount of time each club has missed through injury? I'm convinced we've not been that badly hit by injuries this season, not in the context of the pandemic.

• Like 1

I think we have a top 6 squad but that is with all the new signings match fit which Warnock hasn't really had the benefit of yet. 

If you look at a full strength 11 then I'd say Norwich, Brentford, Watford and Bournemouth all have better players than us. There can't be many other clubs with a stronger first 11 than us when everyone else is fit.

I think with a better keeper and a good number 9 we could have been closer to the automatic spots but then again most teams would say the same. 

I think with the players he's had available Warnock has done pretty well if you are just looking at points per game. 

48 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Does anyone know where I could find a table for the amount of time each club has missed through injury? I'm convinced we've not been that badly hit by injuries this season, not in the context of the pandemic.

I read somewhere that Bristol had 15 players out with injury before coming up to play us. All teams get injuries and suspensions over a season which is why there are over twenty players in a squad, like yourself I think we have been fairly fortunate with injuries with only one or two out at a time usually. We had Hall injured but Fry and McNair have been more than up to the job, similarly Fletcher but Akpom and Britt were fit (maybe not everyone's cup of tea but nevertheless available). Browne was a peripheral player and only Tav is genuinely considered a miss but we brought in NML, Kebano and Bolasie around the same time so I think that covers that one.

• Like 1

I think we have the makings of a top 6 team, we could start by putting players in there natural positions, McNair in midfield, Hall in the centre of defense. Sending Wood out on loan big mistake in my opinion, it wasn't as if he was having to try to push his way into a rock tight defense, he could not have done any worse last night. 

You have to wonder though why a midfield can not be motivated enough to come out and put in a decent performance, what's it a case of we only get up for games when we feel like it. Warnock has always been known for his man management skills, so I'm just not getting how a team can be so inconsistent its baffling, we need a long unbeaten run and it just doesn't look like happening.   

I think we have the makings of a top 6 team, we could start by putting players in there natural positions, McNair in midfield, Hall in the centre of defense. Sending Wood out on loan big mistake in my opinion, it wasn't as if he was having to try to push his way into a rock tight defense, he could not have done any worse last night. 

You have to wonder though why a midfield can not be motivated enough to come out and put in a decent performance, what's it a case of we only get up for games when we feel like it. Warnock has always been known for his man management skills, so I'm just not getting how a team can be so inconsistent its baffling, we need a long unbeaten run and it just doesn't look like happening.   

2 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

Can someone explain to me why Robson was an ambitious appointment? Genuine question. He also came straight out of the game didn't he? Would we call Lampard or Rooney at Derby ambitious appointments too? What about Southgate or Woodgate? 😄

I think McClaren would probably also essentially line up with Karanka in terms of ambition too, right? Both assistants to world class managers but with no real success or failure attributed to them.

Have we really ever made an ambitious appointment? Or are these just examples of more ambitious because of where they learned their trade?

It wasn't just the Robson appointment that was ambitious it was the whole philosophy change at that time. 

Imagine appointing Gerrard now and giving him loads of money to spend on players. We were able to sign experienced Premier league players like Pearson, Blackmore and Cox. 

Not only that Robson was able to play a fair amount of games in his first season, although he wasn't the player he was in his prime he was a very experienced player to have in the middle of the park. 

We already had a group of good players at the club, for example Wilkinson and Hendrie were probably up there with the best strikers at that level. Then in the same season we brought in Jaime Moreno, Uwe Fuchs who had played in the German top flight and then broke our transfer record for Fjortoft. 

No one at that level could compete with us for resources at the time apart from maybe Wolves and with the money and Robsons pulling power we were at a huge advantage to the rest of the division. 

54 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I think we have a top 6 squad but that is with all the new signings match fit which Warnock hasn't really had the benefit of yet. 

If you look at a full strength 11 then I'd say Norwich, Brentford, Watford and Bournemouth all have better players than us. There can't be many other clubs with a stronger first 11 than us when everyone else is fit.

I think with a better keeper and a good number 9 we could have been closer to the automatic spots but then again most teams would say the same. 

I think with the players he's had available Warnock has done pretty well if you are just looking at points per game. 

The outcome of this match can, in my mind, be attributed to three things :

1. Our previous two performances/results and Bristol City's recent run of form led our players (perhaps unconsciously) to believe we would win without trying too hard. Whereas Bristol City players all had to something to prove to their new manager. 

2. We didn't seem to approach the game in the same way as the previous two matches with man marking and an emphasis on making it difficult for them to break us down, perhaps because of reason 1. 

3. Our style of play is governed by the unfortunate fact that we're not as capable of passing the ball as accurately as many of the teams we encounter and consequently aren't much good against teams who set up to play us at our own game. 

18 minutes ago, Duvel said:

It wasn't just the Robson appointment that was ambitious it was the whole philosophy change at that time. 

Imagine appointing Gerrard now and giving him loads of money to spend on players. We were able to sign experienced Premier league players like Pearson, Blackmore and Cox. 

Not only that Robson was able to play a fair amount of games in his first season, although he wasn't the player he was in his prime he was a very experienced player to have in the middle of the park. 

We already had a group of good players at the club, for example Wilkinson and Hendrie were probably up there with the best strikers at that level. Then in the same season we brought in Jaime Moreno, Uwe Fuchs who had played in the German top flight and then broke our transfer record for Fjortoft. 

No one at that level could compete with us for resources at the time apart from maybe Wolves and with the money and Robsons pulling power we were at a huge advantage to the rest of the division. 

I guess that's what it comes down to though, right? It's not just being ambitious in your managerial appointments, I wouldn't even say bringing any of those managers on board is ambitious in and of themselves. It's more about making the most of what you bring in.

Of course, you could throw Monk into essentially the same bracket as those because we threw ourselves and our money behind him, we gave him freedom to spend the likes which even Karanka at this level never had. We gave him pretty much everyone he asked for. The difference is we got burnt big time.

40 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I guess that's what it comes down to though, right? It's not just being ambitious in your managerial appointments, I wouldn't even say bringing any of those managers on board is ambitious in and of themselves. It's more about making the most of what you bring in.

Of course, you could throw Monk into essentially the same bracket as those because we threw ourselves and our money behind him, we gave him freedom to spend the likes which even Karanka at this level never had. We gave him pretty much everyone he asked for. The difference is we got burnt big time.

I think at the time it was seen as a highly ambitious appointment. Those types of appointment seemed to happen a lot less in those days. 

Robson was a huge name at the time and I'd say he was an even bigger name than the likes of Gerrard/Lampard are now. Juninho mentioned when he first signed about how big a name Robson was, I'm not sure whether a young Brazilian player now would be talking about Gerrard in the same terms. 

You are right though, the money was also a huge part of it, without the big wages Robson wouldn't have attracted all those big names but the other side of the coin is that I don't think someone like Lennie Lawrence would have attracted the likes of Pearson and Blackmore either. 

It was the perfect mix of a big name, money and the club moving in the right direction with the new stadium etc.  

The Garry Monk example was different because he wouldn't have attracted the names Robson could even with the big wages. But its a different time now as well to be fair. 

I think if you look back at that time and relate it to now, its probably the equivalent of appointing someone like Gerrard who can still play for a season. Then signing a handful of Premier league players to an already good squad and then adding 2 quality strikers at the back end of the season. 

It felt like the start of a really big journey and a well thought out strategy. We built a really strong balanced squad. Under Monk it was just like giving a 10 year a winning lottery ticket. 

• Like 1

To be fair to Gibson he's still putting funds into the club and the wages we are paying Britt would have bought one of the best strikers in Europe in 1996. 

He just can't do what he did in the 90s, he's not rich enough. 

• Like 2
On 2/23/2021 at 9:35 PM, TeaCider24 said:

Reading losing 1-0 to 10 man Wycombe, hahaha. Missed a penalty too.

Wycombe missed a penalty of their own.

They're just rubbish themselves, which is what confused us all on Saturday.

Losing to Bristol City was far worse than Readings result...I mean a bunch of Turnip heads & Country bumpkins lording it over the ''Mighty Boro" I was expecting The Wurzels to play at half time...And I have to live down here