Jump to content
oneBoro Forum

Boro v Bristol City 1-3 (Fry)


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Dan1234 said:

I dunno if it's a coaching thing or not and I know we did ok earlier in the season as a 3 at the back but since reverting to it McNair and Djiksteels positioning as been all over the shot. 

Now that Fry is back imo we should we going back to a flat 4 (that was the best defence in the league). 

I'm not going to slate Fisher as he seems a solid enough championship right back, but he isn't a wing back and the back 5 thing seems to be about making sure he starts from what I can see?

Thats the really puzzling thing. Some games we look pretty solid and actually do keep clean sheets.

Then we have games like last night...

Besides the coaching, could it also be the player and formation changes?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I swear to God, some of you guys love to swim around in all the agony.  Some of you even swim around on your backs, using a straw to take small sips from the Lake of Agony, then guggeling the nice war

As long as we give him the best boots. 

I for one hope Warnock stays next season. Majority of people were happy/expected mid table when he took over. Now we are there and achieving that, you all want him out?  This squad isn’t very good,

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Thats the really puzzling thing. Some games we look pretty solid and actually do keep clean sheets.

Then we have games like last night...

Besides the coaching, could it also be the player and formation changes?

 

I think there is a mix of things happening with the back line.

McNair and Djik are learning the role of centre back on the job.

They are going to make mistakes - to a lesser extent it’s the same with Fry. In an ideal world he has a good senior pro next to him to coach him through the game. I thought he was poor on the first two goals last night.

I do think it’s slightly unfair to be switching them from a 4 to essentially a 3 at the back.

In a 3 the CB’s really needs to be able to read the game and anticipate the attack. Our back line is reactive and gets moved about by clever strikers. Again though they are learning.

A big loss in the 5 is the 3 man shield isn’t there. Last night there was loads of room in the middle of the pitch and simple through balls beat the midfield and defence.

Some of this comes from our insistence to man mark. OppositionS have learnt to move our defence around and cut out the midfield. 

I also wonder if the short preseason is having an effect. Could be a lot of mental fatigue there. Difficult end of season, short preseason, small squad and game after game could all be having an effect.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The annoying thing is that the soft goals didn't come about because we were chasing the game, we'd been embarassingly opened up at the back at 0-0 on a number of occasions.

The defending made absolutely no sense last night.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Have to say I am livid with Warnock's comments post match, and with the Gazette for not questioning them.

"Again Warnock was left wishing he had another team's striker" - then why did we spend all summer chasing Chuba Akpom, his 'top target', and end up shelling 3m on him during a pandemic?!

Complaining he hasn't got the tools when he went out and bought the wrong one! Yet again we sign another utter waste of space for relatively big money and then bemoan that our horrible, negative style of play doesn't bring out the best in them.

At my wit's end, I really am. Warnock gets away with murder with both the press and our fan base, all because he's a good public speaker.

Edit: and some people want him to be director of football when he retires! I can't think of anything worse.

Edited by Smokedsalmon
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

The annoying thing is that the soft goals didn't come about because we were chasing the game, we'd been embarassingly opened up at the back at 0-0 on a number of occasions.

The defending made absolutely no sense last night.

 

 

The fact Warnock had a go at the strikers is baffling.

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Blanco said:

No no @AnglianRed this can’t be true. Do you not know that a good defence is not required at all. The experts say that must mean you only want dinosaur football if you defend your goal. 11 attack minded centre forwards is all that’s needed. Score more than the opposition. How could it possibly go wrong 🤷‍♂️

Were playing with the 3 centre backs that you wanted all season, and it's still not working. Those goals last night came from lapses of concentration, not because of us trying to attack too much. Were playing with two holding midfielders on top of 3 centre backs!

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Smokedsalmon said:

Have to say I am livid with Warnock's comments post match, and with the Gazette for not questioning them.

"Again Warnock was left wishing he had another team's striker" - then why did we spend all summer chasing Chuba Akpom, his 'top target', and end up shelling 3m on him during a pandemic?!

Complaining he hasn't got the tools when he went out and bought the wrong one! Yet again we sign another utter waste of space for relatively big money and then bemoan that our horrible, negative style of play doesn't bring out the best in them.

At my wit's end, I really am. Warnock gets away with murder with both the press and our fan base, all because he's a good public speaker.

Edit: and some people want him to be director of football when he retires! I can't think of anything worse.

He's signed 11 players since he joined us. The cheek of the man to still complain he hasn't got what he needs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Blaming a lack of strikers is a deflection tactic. 

We defended awfully last night and they opened us up several times in the first half. 

Sometimes as a manager you get it wrong and sometimes your team plays badly. Just take it on the chin and move on. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Duvel said:

Blaming a lack of strikers is a deflection tactic. 

We defended awfully last night and then opened us up several times in the first half. 

Sometimes as a manager you get it wrong and sometimes your team plays badly. Just take it on the chin and move on. 

He has not once accepted that we were beaten due to him getting it wrong.

It's always the ref. Has a go at them before the game even starts! No wonder we never get a decision when he is so consistently aggressive towards them.

Then it's the injuries - "I wish I had my full team" he says a week after signing 3 new players!

Or it's the pitch. Or the weather. Or that the moon's didn't align.

Man's nothing but a walking box of excuses. Treating the club like a final holiday before retirement. Get rid.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

If we are to stick the 3 at the back,i would like to see Mc Nair,Fry & Hall,Dijks at right wing back & Bola on the left, Hall would bring that experience & Dijks is a much better fit on the right.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Smokedsalmon said:

He has not once accepted that we were beaten due to him getting it wrong.

It's always the ref. Has a go at them before the game even starts! No wonder we never get a decision when he is so consistently aggressive towards them.

Then it's the injuries - "I wish I had my full team" he says a week after signing 3 new players!

Or it's the pitch. Or the weather. Or that the moon's didn't align.

Man's nothing but a walking box of excuses. Treating the club like a final holiday before retirement. Get rid.

I don't like the ref thing, fair enough once in a blue moon everyone is entitled to feel hard done by but not every other week. 

People complain about the standard of refereeing nowadays but who in their right mind would want to get into that profession with the total lack of disrespect that they get. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there anyone who still thinks that Warnock is the right manager?

He throws his team under the bus, moans about not having the right players (even though he’s signed an entire teams worth), he plays a long ball game that is totally down to chance and doesn’t suit the players that we have and spends the whole match screaming at the ref instead of at the players. 
 

I really don’t understand the love for Warnock, can someone please explain why he has so much adulation on this message board (and on fmttm). When he was first appointed I got slated for saying that he’s another in a long line of poor appointments, if anything, he’s worse than I thought he would be. We need to get someone in before next season starts so that he can evaluate the players we have and get them playing football.
 

We need a proper plan and a decent manager, I’m sick of this club spending a fortune on unneeded players and then promising that things will be better once we get them off the wage bill, it’s farcical. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Is there anyone who still thinks that Warnock is the right manager?

He throws his team under the bus, moans about not having the right players (even though he’s signed an entire teams worth), he plays a long ball game that is totally down to chance and doesn’t suit the players that we have and spends the whole match screaming at the ref instead of at the players. 
 

I really don’t understand the love for Warnock, can someone please explain why he has so much adulation on this message board (and on fmttm). When he was first appointed I got slated for saying that he’s another in a long line of poor appointments, if anything, he’s worse than I thought he would be. We need to get someone in before next season starts so that he can evaluate the players we have and get them playing football.
 

We need a proper plan and a decent manager, I’m sick of this club spending a fortune on unneeded players and then promising that things will be better once we get them off the wage bill, it’s farcical. 

With Gibsons decision making im not sure it gets much better than this.

Forget about a long term plan itll never happen. Compared to Woodgate he looks like a genius and his football is better to watch than Pulis' (i know that bar is low). 

At this level he has a good track record of getting teams up so I'm guessing a few people are overlooking the football being not the most attractive if he gets results. 

I think we are still a season away and a few players away from being a promotion contender with Warnock and what's the alternative? Downing as manager next?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Duvel said:

With Gibsons decision making im not sure it gets much better than this.

Forget about a long term plan itll never happen. Compared to Woodgate he looks like a genius and his football is better to watch than Pulis' (i know that bar is low). 

At this level he has a good track record of getting teams up so I'm guessing a few people are overlooking the football being not the most attractive if he gets results. 

I think we are still a season away and a few players away from being a promotion contender with Warnock and what's the alternative? Downing as manager next?  

I don't get why so many on here think the only 2 options are a long ball defensive hoof merchant like Pulis or Warnock or a young guy with no experience and local connections like Woodgate.

Why don't we show some bloody ambition and find someone is successful playing a attractive brand of football? You aren't telling me that throughout the smaller European leagues there isn't a whole host of managers being successful and resorting to men behind the ball tactics. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Latest Posts

    • Forget fancy Dan formations this squad is crying out for 442 two fast wingers ,Crooks and Tav in the middle ,a solid stay at home defenders ,find a goalie were all set.
    • Judging by the melt down on here, FMTTM, plus comments in the Gazette, Warnock is walking a tightrope. Anything less than a sterling display v Reading will seal his fate. A live match to ponder the teams short comings with NW's histrionics on the sideline will leave a lot of unhappy campers. Hopefully the team and Warnock are up to the challenge. UTB.
    • It’s not like they’d make a secret plan to get warnock to quit. The guy meant Scott will get on with the job he’s tasked to do, he will want to make an impression and get things going ASAP. His interference will probably annoy warnock who will most likely walk if results carry on as they are.  If gibson didn’t want Scott to throw his weight about and make certain decisions then he wouldn’t have employed him. Equally if gibson hadn’t given/promised Scott certain responsibilities then he probably wouldn’t have took the job. He isn’t just here to be a scout.
    • I think you are reading and interpreting what you want to get angry about rather than what i actually said. I expect every manager to have his approval on all signings even Warnock, even though he wont be here in a years time. Peltier was signed as cover for Fisher who we knew was out for a long while, we absolutely needed him. He clearly can plug a gap, not ideal, but he did ok at LB. we absolutely needed another CB. McNair is useless in a back 4 but ok in a back 3. Like I say, I expect every manager to plan for their team and have their approval over the choice of an owner. As for Scott, we have no way of knowing how successful he will be, what his Job description is or how much autonomy he will have, you are peeing in the wind if you hazard an answer. Gibson has always been hands on,, i don’t see that changing sadly. Since 2006 the owners vision has been wrong more than right, as have his appointments. Don’t take that to mean I am ungrateful for his efforts, without him, we’d not have a club, but goodness me he is due a right decision. I know he is trying his utmost but is having to do so with an imbalanced squad. He does not sign players, that isn’t his job it is Gibson and Bausor that do a deal or walk away. They have tried hard to fix the final third with more pace, flair and finishing, unfortunately the defence has been holed as a result.    I am not suggesting Spence and Coulson were great players, but they are better than nothing. Are you suggesting Warnock prefers Jones as a LB to Coulson? He doesn’t, he is having to make do and mend.  We have no holding midfielder. Howson is doing a job but it is not his best position. He is not refusing to sign foreign left backs at all, you are spinning his comments. He said they haven’t found anyone that fits the bill after being unable to fund UK based LB’s. Why you interpret it as a refusal is odd when he had no say over Morsy and some other signings is beyond silly. Getting a player to agree to come knowing they are going to be mere cover, from abroad especially, in a pandemic too, when you have no money, will not be a doddle, it isn’t like a pic and mix at the cinema.    Get off his back and support his efforts for now, he is not trying to set us up to fail, he has the best record of any manager in the league, but that was with his mix of players, blame the players for their part in the poor performances too and the goals we concede. Warnock deserves some criticism but it needs to be for his failures, not those of others. You can rejoice his departure come May which isn’t long for you to wait. 
    • Then it's not all about Scott. It'll never be all about anyone else with Gibson around. Scott undoubtedly doesn't want Warnock as manager to begin with, it doesn't fit with anything he's been involved in previously. Regardless though, Gibson isn't going to *** off his mate Warnock, he's not going to let someone dictate to Warnock how to do his job, and the idea that they'd try and annoy Warnock into quitting is ridiculous.

×
×
  • Create New...