oneBoro Forum

A new direction and a change of style?

Hello all, 

I was going to do a massive long rant about how supporting boro is crap right now and how since Pulis, Woodgate and now seemingly with Warnock, the enjoyment factor just isn’t there anymore. But we’ve read about it and there have been some fantastic posts about this by other members and I won’t bore you with it further. 

Looking ahead into the future when things aren’t as bad, I do often wonder what direction the club is going to go in. When the time comes to have a new manager at the helm, what would you want to see us go for?  

Im interested to gauge what people would want to see from a Boro team in terms of their style of play and identity.

I’d love to see people’s suggestions on a realistic manager and style of play that you’d want to see us go for.

For example, for me I am so bored with defensive football and kicking it long. I would love to see us go for...

Eddie Howe with a possession based approach of players being comfortable on the ball and high press to win it back.
Howe traditionally plays a 442 with two strikers and lots of width. I think that would be really popular with boro fans. 

This combined with a philosophy of bringing through youth players into the team is another big positive for me and would fit well into our traditional history of “using the academy”. 

I’d love to hear other suggestions! 

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s called ‘Boro Lads Messageboard’  Don’t think they thought about the abbreviation for too long tho 🤦‍♂️

I don’t want Gibson to sell the club. However, I do want him to delegate his powers to a Director of Football. Much in the same way that whilst Delia Smith is a great cook, she knows her limitations r

If I wrote a post that said, 'I don't like foreigners, they are all smelly', I assume that at least some people would see that as a bit offensive, even if it's almost certainly the case with SmogDane.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Humpty said:

Yes, don’t you dare go to the effort of starting a new thread, the last thing we need on here is more discussion.

The fewer threads the better otherwise it confuses peoples tiny minds. 

• Haha 2

Humpty I normally stick up for you, but this time I can’t. 

Someone has taken the trouble to start a thread in an interesting and well thought out manner and you dismiss him straight away by saying that he shouldn’t have started a new thread. 

When you used to post links to the great Boro articles that you had written, nobody moaned that they had heard it all before.

Have a bit of tolerance man. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

I mean, there IS currently a thread discussing this, though. So while he has been pretty blunt about it, @Humpty does have a point.

There are subtle differences, that thread was written assuming NW would be manager next season, this thread is about the type of football that we’d like to play and which manager would be the best fit, I’d go along with Eddie Howe.

The guy has posed an interesting question and in his mind it deserved a new thread, I’m sure ManBearPig is aware of the other thread, he shouldn’t be castigated for starting one of his own should he?

Eddie Howe would make me very excited. But he'd need at least a couple of years to transform this negative, plodding, beareth of creativity side. I'd take a season of being lower mid table with the promise of better football in the long term. 

• Haha 1

@ManBearPig So my choice is with the thinking in mind of people who have experience in coaching younger players, being influential in their development and bring them through to the first team level which would hopefully help us get the best out of our academy. Also thinking of someone who has history playing "possession" based football and is capable of implementing a press effectively too, but also have a track record of having a set system/formation, but being tactically adept enough to tweak that system to best expose opposition weaknesses.

I'm unsure if they would be realistic but someone like Hannes Wolf; ex-Stuttgart, Hamburg and Genk manager. He got promoted with Stuttgart in his first season in charge, directly after they'd been relegated. He also got Hamburg playing some really good football whilst there, ultimately they just missed out on promotion that season he was in charge, but of late that seems to be a Hamburg trait as they did the exact same thing the season after under a new manager too. Genk is a bit of a blot on his record so far, but he still had a win % of close to 40% there. The big thing for me with Wolf is that he was manager of the Dortmund under age groups U-17's, U-19's and the 2nd team winning national championships in those stints. Only thing is he is currently the German U-18 manager so not 100% sure if we could tempt him out of that role.

Plus German/Austrian managers with an emphasis on pressing seems to be all the rage at the moment (Klopp, Tuchel and Hasenhuttl), so it would be nice to be "on trend" for a change! 😂

• Like 2
2 hours ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Humpty I normally stick up for you, but this time I can’t. 

Someone has taken the trouble to start a thread in an interesting and well thought out manner and you dismiss him straight away by saying that he shouldn’t have started a new thread. 

When you used to post links to the great Boro articles that you had written, nobody moaned that they had heard it all before.

Have a bit of tolerance man. 

That’s not in the slightest bit relevant to this issue (mainly because my writing was original 🤓 but I digress)...there used to be an issue with duplicating posts on here. I was merely directing bear to the thread as I thought he might not have seen it. 

I wonder who’s next in line to take a pot shot?

image.gif.a5aabe528179862fa6e686b7c5401d3f.gif

41 minutes ago, Humpty said:

That’s not in the slightest bit relevant to this issue (mainly because my writing was original 🤓 but I digress)...there used to be an issue with duplicating posts on here. I was merely directing bear to the thread as I thought he might not have seen it. 

I wonder who’s next in line to take a pot shot?

image.gif.a5aabe528179862fa6e686b7c5401d3f.gif

I expect it’ll be Blanco next, it’s his turn. 

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

@ManBearPig So my choice is with the thinking in mind of people who have experience in coaching younger players, being influential in their development and bring them through to the first team level which would hopefully help us get the best out of our academy. Also thinking of someone who has history playing "possession" based football and is capable of implementing a press effectively too, but also have a track record of having a set system/formation, but being tactically adept enough to tweak that system to best expose opposition weaknesses.

I'm unsure if they would be realistic but someone like Hannes Wolf; ex-Stuttgart, Hamburg and Genk manager. He got promoted with Stuttgart in his first season in charge, directly after they'd been relegated. He also got Hamburg playing some really good football whilst there, ultimately they just missed out on promotion that season he was in charge, but of late that seems to be a Hamburg trait as they did the exact same thing the season after under a new manager too. Genk is a bit of a blot on his record so far, but he still had a win % of close to 40% there. The big thing for me with Wolf is that he was manager of the Dortmund under age groups U-17's, U-19's and the 2nd team winning national championships in those stints. Only thing is he is currently the German U-18 manager so not 100% sure if we could tempt him out of that role.

Plus German/Austrian managers with an emphasis on pressing seems to be all the rage at the moment (Klopp, Tuchel and Hasenhuttl), so it would be nice to be "on trend" for a change! 😂

That makes perfect sense, AK was an under 21 coach before he took over as well as an assistant at a huge club, we needed to find another Aitor but instead we’ve found another Pulis. 

We have eight players, Bettinelli, Archer, Bolasie, Kebano, NML, Johnson, Assombalonga, Fletcher who will be either out of contract or returning to their Parent Clubs in the Summer.

Seven of them are as a minimum in the matchday squads but five or six would likely be starters. That is half the current first team!

There is a major rebuilding job to be done in the summer whoever the Manager is and hopefully the planning for it is going on now rather than leaving it late because we know how that can turn out. The biggest issue however is who will be managing and what style of player will they want.