oneBoro Forum

A new direction and a change of style?

10 hours ago, DurhamRed said:

Why didn't Gibson not see if the new Sunderland owner wanted to buy us before he took over Sunderland as we must be a better alternative and closer to Premiership with investment. As I do think we need a new young more ambitious owner to go back to the top again as I want us to be doing what Leeds are doing not sat in this league for years. 

Like it or not we don't have a fan base as big as Sunderland and they'll be a lot cheaper to buy in their current guise.

• Like 1
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s called ‘Boro Lads Messageboard’  Don’t think they thought about the abbreviation for too long tho 🤦‍♂️

I don’t want Gibson to sell the club. However, I do want him to delegate his powers to a Director of Football. Much in the same way that whilst Delia Smith is a great cook, she knows her limitations r

If I wrote a post that said, 'I don't like foreigners, they are all smelly', I assume that at least some people would see that as a bit offensive, even if it's almost certainly the case with SmogDane.

Posted Images

I can't see Gibson changing his rather parochial approach to MFC. I think whenever Warnock leaves, he'll approach a Steve Bruce/Martin O'Neill-style pragmatist. Cue dull, defensive football, angry OB posts, rinse and repeat.

What I'd like to see is a long-term focus on developing youth rather than buying experience. We have an awesome academy that already produces talented young players. We could aim to more closely follow the model Southampton have demonstrated where young players come through and are sold to high-end PL clubs (okay, usually Liverpool), generating revenue to further strengthen the development of young players. And while it'd be sad to see those players go, the Saints look like a steady club nowadays, and the fans are happy (insofar as any fans ever are!)

Okay, that would turn us into something of a selling club. But it would be sustainable at a time when Gibson's arms are growing shorter compared to other club owners. It would hopefully enforce consistency on future managerial appointments. It would make us an attractive club to watch, with a focus on youth and pace. It would allow us to stop spunking wodges of cash on overpriced concrete donkeys like Gestede. And it wouldn't really matter who our manager was, providing they bought into the ethos. No more baby-and-bathwater transformations from Monk to Pulis, or from Woodgate to Warnock.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, DurhamRed said:

Why didn't Gibson not see if the new Sunderland owner wanted to buy us before he took over Sunderland as we must be a better alternative and closer to Premiership with investment. As I do think we need a new young more ambitious owner to go back to the top again as I want us to be doing what Leeds are doing not sat in this league for years. 

You need to get on Netflix first and whip up drama about a club thats done absolutely nothing first.

On 2/25/2021 at 1:48 PM, DurhamRed said:

I just feel Gibson has done all he can he has had his moment won us our only ever cup took us to European final. Just feel time has to come for someone else to have a chance to shape us with new ideas and methods. 

cool idea that keeps being repeated variously, but no suggestions to the question of who will buy us?

they would need to be happy not making any profit, (which probably isnt how they got to have a lot of money in the first place).

for boro to have a new owner more has to happen than many suggesting it happens on message boards. 

a) gibson has to want to sell

b) someone with enough cash has to want to buy.

until then, dream on.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, HolgateHero said:

cool idea that keeps being repeated variously, but no suggestions to the question of who will buy us?

they would need to be happy not making any profit, (which probably isnt how they got to have a lot of money in the first place).

for boro to have a new owner more has to happen than many suggesting it happens on message boards. 

a) gibson has to want to sell

b) someone with enough cash has to want to buy.

until then, dream on.

If Sunderland can find a 2 billion pound owner I'm sure we can 🙂

Be careful what you wish for.

Ipswich fans hounded Mick McCarthy out of his job and celebrated him leaving like they been promoted. League 1 is now like a 2nd home. 

Arsenal fans hounded Wenger out of his job as top 4 was not good enough. Now they would snap your hands off for a Europa league spot.

Birmingham fans hated the Gold&Sullivan ownership and wanted them out. They not come close to enjoying the success they had under them.

Of course there are instances where fans demand for change has resulted in positive times but I am certainly not going to wish Gibson leaves or we get new ownership.

Gibson is not perfect but i rest easy at night in knowing he will not let us go down the shi**er

Edited by TLF10
  • Like 5
8 minutes ago, BluebirdinExile said:

At least Steve Gibson is Middlesborough through and through, how many clubs and supporters can boast that their owner is from their city/Town?  👍

image.gif.44908fc92fad13c3e649a13b484643d7.gif

25 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Be careful what you wish for.

Ipswich fans hounded Mick McCarthy out of his job and celebrated him leaving like they been promoted. League 1 is now like a 2nd home. 

Arsenal fans hounded Wenger out of his job as top 4 was not good enough. Now they would snap your hands off for a Europa league spot.

Birmingham fans hated the Gold&Sullivan ownership and wanted them out. They not come close to enjoy the success they had under them.

Of course there are instances where fans demand for change has resulted in positive times but I am certainly not going to wish Gibson leaves or we get new ownership.

Gibson is not perfect but i rest easy at night in knowing he will not let us go down the shi**er

Great post @TLF10

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, BluebirdinExile said:

At least Steve Gibson is Middlesborough through and through, how many clubs and supporters can boast that their owner is from their city/Town?  👍

It's not necessarily a good thing in this instance, though. Steve Gibson likes being "the man", he enjoys being adored by the majority of the fan base (we wouldn't have a football club if it wasn't for him, didn't you know) and that's why he's unlikely to ever allow anyone else to invest in the club. He's a bloody narcissist.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Late checking in with this thread properly, but sorry for posting a topic already discussed if it’s rubbed people up the wrong way. I wanted it to go in the direction of potential candidates and their brand of football, rather than Steve Gibson’s control of the club. 

some great suggestions in here but like others have said, i doubt Gibson has the connections or desire to go for a surprise pick and transform how we play. 

I think as shown with Woodgate, most fans would actually be patient and happy to have a long term project IF they can see and get behind what’s happening. I genuinely think people wanted Woodgate to do well but could just tell he didn’t have the ability to deliver it. It’s a shame, but the right decision was to let him go. 

I do hope the experience of woodgate doesn’t deter that type of Avenue in the future but with a more experienced person being given the time to build. 

The selection of Woodgate split the fanbase from the off for a variety of reasons be they concerns about his past misdemeanours whether they be founded or unfounded through to not showing anything to give credence at this level that he had the required ability in coaching terms or even because of his reputation in footballing circles which challenged his intellectual ability.

SG thought because he was an ex Boro lad, one of our own that he could stick him in on the cheap and the fans would immediately buy into it, treating us like morons rather than mushrooms. The local rag was seemingly coerced or duped themselves into buying into it and then that Golden Thread presser just confirmed everything that the naysayers suspected. The lack of an experienced coach because he allegedly refused to work under Woodgate allied to Robbie Keane sat alongside wasn't remotely believable. Bevington's role was farcical and I can only guess he was sat biting his lip wondering what on earth he had got himself into.

It didn't take a genius to work out that if that was the path to be taken some foundational planning was required before Gibbo's big JCB went in. Clearly they hadn't given any consideration to the issues in the first paragraph here and had they done so and addressed them over time with some clever PR they could have alleviated things but they just went headlong into it and in doing so killed it before Woodgate stood any chance whatsoever. 

That said there was no "Avenue", it was a dead end and I hope that any future hopes of a radical change is properly planned and prepared for with all due diligence.

From the way NW is talking in regards to recruitment it seems he is planning on staying for one more season. Hopefully the planning with NW at the helm can start as soon as possible.

• Like 1

Warnock saying he’s meeting Gibbo next week to discuss the future.

Also made some interesting comments about Akpom being the recruitment teams top choice and that they didn’t get to watch him play.

I think Warnock will want an overhaul of the recruitment set up. Seems he has identified that the stats they are looking are either wrong or at least not enough on their own.