oneBoro Forum

A new direction and a change of style?

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12231456/jiangsu-fc-chinese-football-in-chaos-as-super-league-champions-cease-operations

The owners of the Chinese champions might be looking for a new adventure?

Jiangsu FC fans might be disappointed that they club now might no longer exist but at least they had a few very good seasons they can hold on to as memory for the rest of they days.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s called ‘Boro Lads Messageboard’  Don’t think they thought about the abbreviation for too long tho 🤦‍♂️

I don’t want Gibson to sell the club. However, I do want him to delegate his powers to a Director of Football. Much in the same way that whilst Delia Smith is a great cook, she knows her limitations r

If I wrote a post that said, 'I don't like foreigners, they are all smelly', I assume that at least some people would see that as a bit offensive, even if it's almost certainly the case with SmogDane.

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12231456/jiangsu-fc-chinese-football-in-chaos-as-super-league-champions-cease-operations

The owners of the Chinese champions might be looking for a new adventure?

Jiangsu FC fans might be disappointed that they club now might no longer exist but at least they had a few very good seasons they can hold on to as memory for the rest of they days.

In other news, Chelsea and Manchester City were mid table clubs that very rarely won anything and had both been relegated to the second tier...

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

In other news, Chelsea and Manchester City were mid table clubs that very rarely won anything and had both been relegated to the second tier...

And in other news Bolton, Sunderland, Portsmouth Coventry, Birmignham, Ipswich etc also went on to amazing success when they fans demanded change. Oh hang on...

This is my point. For every success story there are several unsuccessful ones.

Your stance does not make you wrong. Neither does mine. It just depends which side of coin you want to to look at it things from.

• Like 1

I think most Boro fans actually want Gibbo to stay but also to change.  

The club in terms of outlook, philosophy and structure needs to change and that starts at the top.

It been nearly 20 years since Eindhoven and the peak of our achievements under Gibbo. But even then the cracks were showing we had an aging squad on high wages and no sell on value. It was something that had worked but meant long term you are leaking money.

Splashing cash is Gibbo’s modest operandi he did it with Robson and with McLaren it was working. 

Sadly what wasn’t noticed were two dramatic changes to the game. Since the late 90’s science had come more into the game in every area it started with nutrition and training but was quickly evolving into scouting and recruitment. The old ways were beginning to die.

Secondly the game became flooded with money. Now every premier league team could *** money away on wages and transfer fees. For an out of the way unpopular club like ours we lost our only real advantage.

The decline set in post Eindhoven and most fans could see we were on a one way trip.

Following relegation Gibbo did what he does and chucked money at the problem and the ill fated Scottish revolution took place. 

Throwing money at the problem didn’t solve the issues of a club that would go from one style of manager to another over the next two decades.

parachut payments and foreign investors now also allowed clubs to spend crazy money in the championship too in the hope that they would get promoted.

Boro started a cycle of boom and bust that has continued to this day.  Along with the misguided knee jerk reactions of styles of manager. Every new appointment sees revolution not evolution so all the type A players are sold at a lost and more expensive type b players are brought in.

when that appointment fails its time to swing the pendulum and buy type b players and sell type a.

Until the pendulum swing backs again. 

For a brief moment we had an identity under Karbala with a set style and formation. Limited spending took place until Gibson went back to his play book and bought Downing and Rhodes.

Promotion was achieved and Gibson again reverted to type Big Name players big transfer fees. Relegation followed and the pendulum swing again.

With pockets lined with premier league money the spending spree and revolution started (again).

Without any sign of success Boro moved to Pulis (swing) Woodgate (swing) Warnock (swing). Each time spending money and switching style.

This is where I think we need Gibbo to change. Who are we and what are we.

Theres nothing wrong with being an old fashioned Wimbledon but let’s stay that or adopt a high press. Let’s create brand Middlesbrough.

I actually don’t care but let’s stay true to ourselves. Play that system at all levels and have an idea of how we evolve with each appointment. 

it’s time to stop the swing. Reinvent the club identity.

What benefit we could have with real data analysis and modern scouts. Invest in these areas and we don’t sign another Akpom and you win twice.

The question is can Gibson change? If not then what’s the future of the club?

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Oops, sorry, I won’t mention Wolves, Leeds or Villa then. 

Leeds got there after 20yrs of suffering and borderline liquidation. And Villa nearly folded with two owners no one liked in Lerner and that Dr and then cheated they way out of a mess.

Like I said it all depends on how much risk you are willing to take with a clubs future. There are good foreigners out there and if one comes to our club I would welcome him with open arms.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Oops, sorry, I won’t mention Wolves, Leeds or Villa then. 

Villa aren't really a good example, are they?

They were within hours of going out of business 2 years ago because their owners were that incompetent, they then got new owners who spent a fortune again to get promotion in massive breach of FFP. A huge gamble that only just paid off, they then stayed up last season because of faulty goalline technology.

Neither are Leeds, their previous foreign owner was notoriously terrible and they've spent 1 season in the Premier League in the last 15 years, the bottom half of it after today's results. Their summer signings have largely been very expensive donkeys.

They might well become mainstays in the Premier League again, or they could be next season's Sheffield United.

A team that had a brilliant season last year under a British owner, and are now sinking like a stone under a foreign one.

• Like 2
Just now, TeaCider24 said:

Neither are Leeds, their previous foreign owner was notoriously terrible and they've spent 1 season in the Premier League in the last 15 years, the bottom half of it after today's results. Their summer signings have largely been very expensive donkeys.

So not hugely dissimilar to us at the moment?

Just now, TLF10 said:

Or blackburn and Hull.

I hate this Middlesbrough negative mentality, always expecting things to go wrong, there is absolutely no reason why we can’t be a Southampton or a Leicester, but instead supporters assume we’ll end up as Hull or Blackburn if we get a new owner.

As I’ve previously said, you have to take risks, you have to have ambition you’ll get nowhere in life if you succumb to inertia.