• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s called ‘Boro Lads Messageboard’  Don’t think they thought about the abbreviation for too long tho 🤦‍♂️

I don’t want Gibson to sell the club. However, I do want him to delegate his powers to a Director of Football. Much in the same way that whilst Delia Smith is a great cook, she knows her limitations r

If I wrote a post that said, 'I don't like foreigners, they are all smelly', I assume that at least some people would see that as a bit offensive, even if it's almost certainly the case with SmogDane.

Posted Images

The problem with foreign owners is that in many cases it is a toy for them with no emotional commitment to the team or the area. Now there are of course some really nice ones but as in the example in China above they can just quit and leave the club to go under. There are around two workers a day dying in Qatar with the folly of the World Cup which sold its soul, personally I'd be very cautious about who would buy our club and what their commitment would be for it. Derby and Newcastle are openly up for grabs but the process isn't as convenient as the dream.

It does work in some cases and no doubt there will be other examples of it working (as well as it not) but it smacks of immature petulance that we have to have the same latest fashion fad. Personally I enjoyed Chelsea with Bonnetti. Osgood, Cooke and Harris as much as I did City with Summerbee, Lee, Bell and Doyle. I would be far happier with a club that doesn't sell its soul to those with questionable morals.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

I hate this Middlesbrough negative mentality, always expecting things to go wrong, there is absolutely no reason why we can’t be a Southampton or a Leicester, but instead supporters assume we’ll end up as Hull or Blackburn if we get a new owner.

As I’ve previously said, you have to take risks, you have to have ambition you’ll get nowhere in life if you succumb to inertia. 

Risk needs to be calculated. Be foolish to take risks because of boredom and for changes sake.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Is it 1 season in the past 12 seasons we've had in the Prem now? 

Yes, and it's 1 season in 17 for Leeds.

They've had foreign owners for 8 years now, and threw *** at the wall until it stuck.

People forget just how many managers they were going through before a gamble finally paid off with Bielsa. 

Hardly an example of the wonders of foreign ownership.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I would be far happier with a club that doesn't sell its soul to those with questionable morals.

I'm not sure any fan would be to be fair! 😂

I'd rather we kept Gibson, but there does need to be change right throughout the club and that starts from the top and trickles down.

I'd also love us to be self-sustaining and pay off those debts to Gibson, that way when the day comes he does step down/retire, we aren't relying on him propping the club up and we don't owe him anything.

But to claim changing ownership automatically means that the club spirals down the football pyramid or ceases to exist is wrong. 

4 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Risk needs to be calculated. Be foolish to take risks because of boredom and for changes sake.

There has to be a motivator for change, I’d say boredom would be a good starting point.

When I was bored with my job, I quit and went freelance, it was a risk, but I’ve never looked back and I’ve had 20 years of travelling the world and meeting some amazing people. sometimes change is for the better. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Yes, and it's 1 season in 17 for Leeds.

They've had foreign owners for 8 years now, and threw *** at the wall until it stuck.

People forget just how many managers they were going through before a gamble finally paid off with Bielsa. 

Hardly an example of the wonders of foreign ownership.

So 1 in 12 for us, but 1 in 17 for Leeds. 

We've done basically the exact same in terms of throwing money at the wall. Whether that was the £100m in debt we accurued during the PL years in the 2000's or the million we spent on wages under Strachan or the millions we spent under Monk. We've gone through 8 managers in that time and only 1 was successful. But hey at least Gibson is English, he's absolved of any criticism.

1 hour ago, TLF10 said:

I agree we could be a much bigger and better club without him in charge. Equally we would be a much lesser and shi**er club if we was not in charge. 

So what you're saying is, don't risk anything in life and be happy with permanent mediocrity? Because we'll always be a mediocre club as long as Gibson is in charge.

• Confused 1
1 minute ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

There has to be a motivator for change, I’d say boredom would be a good starting point.

When I was bored with my job, I quit and went freelance, it was a risk, but I’ve never looked back and I’ve had 20 years of travelling the world and meeting some amazing people. sometimes change is for the better. 

Sorry wholly disagree with that. Your reason for changing a job due to boredom i fully back and accept as that is a personal decision for you. As it would be for anyone changing a job.

That example cannot be linked to wanting change at a a football club imho

Wanting to change ownership of a football club is something that affects the entire town and boredom is not a good starting point for wanting change imho.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

So 1 in 12 for us, but 1 in 17 for Leeds. 

We've done basically the exact same in terms of throwing money at the wall. Whether that was the £100m in debt we accurued during the PL years in the 2000's or the million we spent on wages under Strachan or the millions we spent under Monk. We've gone through 8 managers in that time and only 1 was successful. But hey at least Gibson is English, he's absolved of any criticism.

I haven't absolved him of any criticism.

There are 24 teams in this league every season, every one of them wants to get promoted. 

Only 3 of them will succeed.

I think people need to realise that it's not just down to ownership that we're not an established Premier League team.

We've rarely struggled to compete financially in this league, the decision making can and should be questioned, but faceless foreign owners are just as prone to poor decisions as Gibson.

Sheffield Wednesday are staring relegation in the face after abysmal decisions, and they still don't have a manager after sacking Pulis almost immediately.

• Like 2

I can’t believe people are using Chelsea and Manchester City as examples. Absolutely laughable. One in the heart of the wealthiest area of the country and the other in the country’s second city with half of a nearly 3m population to draw from. 

We’re also in a different league to Leeds and Villa so there’s little use in comparing us to them. 

Leicester and Southampton are fairer comparisons in terms of size.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

So what you're saying is, don't risk anything in life and be happy with permanent mediocrity? Because we'll always be a mediocre club as long as Gibson is in charge.

No what am saying is don't think grass is automatically greener on the other side.

Some people are wanting to risk future of our club for that and that is view people are welcome to hold.

I and some other fans are maybe not. Maybe for some the memories of 86 are still there more than they are for others.

• Like 1