• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s called ‘Boro Lads Messageboard’  Don’t think they thought about the abbreviation for too long tho 🤦‍♂️

I don’t want Gibson to sell the club. However, I do want him to delegate his powers to a Director of Football. Much in the same way that whilst Delia Smith is a great cook, she knows her limitations r

If I wrote a post that said, 'I don't like foreigners, they are all smelly', I assume that at least some people would see that as a bit offensive, even if it's almost certainly the case with SmogDane.

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

But to claim changing ownership automatically means that the club spirals down the football pyramid or ceases to exist is wrong. 

I don't think anyone is claiming that changing ownership automatically means that the club spirals down the football pyramid or ceases to exist I think what is being highlighted is that it doesn't guarantee instant success. There are plenty of Clubs who have changed owners and it hasn't worked out or at least just yet as Birmingham, Blackburn and Forest fans will attest to.

It seems some want Gibson to sell the club but should he sell it to the highest bidder to cover as much debt as he has accrued with MFC or to the most altruistic bidder with a guarantee that he or she will invest in a top Latin Coach and £300 million on players? 

I remember when football was a sport and the best team won rather than the richest team won. Personally I'd rather we play our way to the top and earn it and the truth is that even with a multi billionaire owner it is unlikely that we will usurp the mega rich in their Champions League placings. I know Leicester did it in a similar way to how Blackburn once did it (and to a lesser extent ourselves) but the Manchester, Merseyside and London Clubs have always dominated.

1 minute ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

We could have very easily been Wolves if we had took advantage of Mendes.

Very true, it'll always be a big what if, but some of those signings are incredibly dodgy, so I'm not sure what the Chinese owners and Mendes were doing behind the scene.

3 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

The majority of teams in the Championship have foreign owners, the majority will fail to get promoted this season.

The two clubs currently in the automatic promotion spots are British owned.

And both have a clear long term plans, not being implemented by their owners. Something which needs to happen with us, but our Lord and saviour refuses to loosen his vice like grip.

4 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I don't think anyone is claiming that changing ownership automatically means that the club spirals down the football pyramid or ceases to exist I think what is being highlighted is that it doesn't guarantee instant success. There are plenty of Clubs who have changed owners and it hasn't worked out or at least just yet as Birmingham, Blackburn and Forest fans will attest to.

It seems some want Gibson to sell the club but should he sell it to the highest bidder to cover as much debt as he has accrued with MFC or to the most altruistic bidder with a guarantee that he or she will invest in a top Latin Coach and £300 million on players? 

I remember when football was a sport and the best team won rather than the richest team won. Personally I'd rather we play our way to the top and earn it and the truth is that even with a multi billionaire owner it is unlikely that we will usurp the mega rich in their Champions League placings. I know Leicester did it in a similar way to how Blackburn once did it (and to a lesser extent ourselves) but the Manchester, Merseyside and London Clubs have always dominated.

I just want us to be smart, and for a successful business man, Gibson has not made a lot of smart decisions for our club.

5 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

@TeaCider24 Just on the Leeds point you've acknowledged that the previous foreign owners have been pretty shocking, but ignored the fact the new foreign owners have done a pretty good job since they took over in 2017. 

Christiansen was a failure of an appointment, Heckingbottom was a failure of an appointment, they've had huge controversy about touring dictatorships and then that hilarious badge u-turn, Bielsa has been a undeniable success though.

They're going to stay up comfortably, so that success is going to continue, but that's down to the manager, not the owner.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

And both have a clear long term plans, not being implemented by their owners. Something which needs to happen with us, but our Lord and saviour refuses to loosen his vice like grip.

That's if Brentford get promoted.

They have form for bottling it, but that doesn't suddenly mean they have bad owners if they fail to get promoted again.

Norwich have stuck with their owner through promotion and then relegation, and it's paid dividends, but fans would have been in total uproar here if Karanka hadn't been sacked.

• Like 1
Just now, DanFromDownSouth said:

I just want us to be smart, and for a successful business man, Gibson has not made a lot of smart decisions for our club.

Completely agree 100% with this.

My concern is that simply having a Foreign owner may not the panacea that some appear to think its is. It might work and it might bring success but equally we could end up exactly where we are at present (Forest, Birmingham, Wednesday, Blackburn etc.) but with owners who are less committed to the Club than SG is and that means it could get worse, a lot worse.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Very true, it'll always be a big what if, but some of those signings are incredibly dodgy, so I'm not sure what the Chinese owners and Mendes were doing behind the scene.

I agree but we are also the club that appointed two of the (allegedly) most corrupt managers in the game.

Both of whom are British. 

3 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

I agree but we are also the club that appointed two of the (allegedly) most corrupt managers in the game.

Both of whom are British. 

I'm not sure that comment adds anything to the debate, I'm wondering if you mean, Monk, Pulis, Woodgate or Warnock or perhaps going back further? My point is that to use the word "corrupt" and all its connotations is unnecessary.

10 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

That's if Brentford get promoted.

They have form for bottling it, but that doesn't suddenly mean they have bad owners if they fail to get promoted again.

Norwich have stuck with their owner through promotion and then relegation, and it's paid dividends, but fans would have been in total uproar here if Karanka hadn't been sacked.

I was actually referring to Norwich and Swansea. Brentford are another team with a long term strategy but that is in part driven and implemented heavily by their owner.

Either way it's no coincidence that the top 3 teams currently are all much more advanced in their long term planning than most other clubs in the league.

10 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Completely agree 100% with this.

My concern is that simply having a Foreign owner may not the panacea that some appear to think its is. It might work and it might bring success but equally we could end up exactly where we are at present (Forest, Birmingham, Wednesday, Blackburn etc.) but with owners who are less committed to the Club than SG is and that means it could get worse, a lot worse.

Yeah I'm not actually keen on Gibson to sell up myself, but him taking a step back and letting someone with real knowledge of football make those decisions. Basically become a silent owner, much like Smith at Norwich (except her half-time on pitch rallying cries).

I'm only vocal today as a few people seem to equate foreign ownership with the end of the world or that it will 100% not work, but there are plenty of examples of where it has worked. 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

I was actually referring to Norwich and Swansea. Brentford are another team with a long term strategy but that is in part driven and implemented heavily by their owner.

Either way it's no coincidence that the top 3 teams currently are all much more advanced in their long term planning than most other clubs in the league.

Swansea are 4th, their "long term strategy" is only a few years old, and I'm not sure it was deliberate, they got relegated after repeated poor managerial choices (what was Bob Bradley about?), had a complete fire sale and were expected to struggle in the bottom half of the table last season but snuck in to the play-offs against the odds after an excellent run.

I spoke to Swansea fans who were genuinely fearful of a double relegation at the start of last season.

Watford are 3rd, and they don't know the meaning of long term planning.

I don't disagree that a long term plan is preferable, whatever the style is, and it's irritating that it was given lipservice at the start of last season and immediately abandoned.

Edited by TeaCider24
  • Like 2