• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s called ‘Boro Lads Messageboard’  Don’t think they thought about the abbreviation for too long tho 🤦‍♂️

I don’t want Gibson to sell the club. However, I do want him to delegate his powers to a Director of Football. Much in the same way that whilst Delia Smith is a great cook, she knows her limitations r

If I wrote a post that said, 'I don't like foreigners, they are all smelly', I assume that at least some people would see that as a bit offensive, even if it's almost certainly the case with SmogDane.

Posted Images

If I wrote a post that said, 'I don't like foreigners, they are all smelly', I assume that at least some people would see that as a bit offensive, even if it's almost certainly the case with SmogDane.  Similarly, if I wrote a post saying, 'British people are much better than foreigners', that would be seen as a touch xenophobic, even if I am living proof of the absolute truth of this.  So why is this kind of discussion even taking place?  The issue isn't about British or foreign ownership, it's about good or bad ownership/direction/call it whatever you want, and that isn't determined by nationality.

• Like 6
27 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

If I wrote a post that said, 'I don't like foreigners, they are all smelly', I assume that at least some people would see that as a bit offensive, even if it's almost certainly the case with SmogDane.  Similarly, if I wrote a post saying, 'British people are much better than foreigners', that would be seen as a touch xenophobic, even if I am living proof of the absolute truth of this.  So why is this kind of discussion even taking place?  The issue isn't about British or foreign ownership, it's about good or bad ownership/direction/call it whatever you want, and that isn't determined by nationality.

I was thinking that earlier when someone used the phrase “faceless foreign owner”. My wife is foreign and she’s got a very nice face thank you very much, so much xenophobia on this forum lately. 

5 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

@Kelloe what's with the confused reactions on all of my posts mate? Is reading comprehension difficult for you?

He does the same on mine as well.  He used to do angry faces on them all but I started mentioning it on the forum so he changed to confused ones.  I was hoping he might go for the hearts next to make me feel loved.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

I was thinking that earlier when someone used the phrase “faceless foreign owner”. My wife is foreign and she’s got a very nice face thank you very much, so much xenophobia on this forum lately. 

I'm sure that all of her bits are as delightful as any woman born in Blighty 👍

56 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Because these discussions are always spurred on by people, and I don't just mean on here, specifically asking for a foreign takeover when they see another club taken over, regardless of who the takeover is by.

Saw dozens of people saying it when Barnsley were taken over after their owner sadly became terminal (arguably not the best example as it's going very well for them right now).

British owners aren't intrinsically better or worse than foreign owners, and foreign owners aren't intrinsically better or worse either.

I've dove in to the thread late on, so I've not actually followed the initial discussions, but the first post I saw was requesting Sunderland's new owner to take us over, despite there being absolutely no evidence of him being successful as an owner there yet.

That was swiftly followed by a post praising the owners of Leeds, Villa and Wolves, so I assumed that was the direction of the conversation in the thread.

Edited by TeaCider24
  • Like 1
19 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

I think that particular phrase is generally used for absentee overseas owners, who rarely if ever actually come to watch the club they bought and are happy to do what they need to do over the phone / internet.

The kind of owner that just treats a club like another asset in their portfolio.

I don't think its meant to be an insult to foreigners in general.

I mean you could have a faceless British owner, if they did the same thing.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

I've dove in to the thread late on, so I've not actually followed the initial discussions, but the first post I saw was requesting Sunderland's new owner to take us over, despite there being absolutely no evidence of him being successful as an owner there yet.

His old man used to own Marseille when they were half decent. Obviously that doesn't mean that the son will be successful, but there is certainly pedigree and expertise he can call upon.

5 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

His old man used to own Marseille when they were half decent. Obviously that doesn't mean that the son will be successful, but there is certainly pedigree and expertise he can call upon.

It's not something I'd find overly reassuring, personally.

I don't actually know anything about him except for the fact he's 4 years younger than me, but his Dad being a successful owner doesn't mean he would be.

Could make a similar argument for Gibson if his daughter was his successor as owner, I'd not be immediately confident in her just because of Gibson's stewardship, though if it were to happen I'd hope that she'd be a good owner.