oneBoro Forum

Captain

All these Boro players doing zoom calls with the fans and building a bond between players and fans and guess what.... Britt nowhere to be seen.

Says everything about the lad to me! He's everything you don't want in a captain especially on the pitch. He's no leader and never has or will be. He was given it to see if it gave him a kick and it failed miserably.

Howson who has been extremely poor last few games should of been giving it for me. With Fry and McNair as back up options when Howson was rested.

For me, people talk way to much about captaincy being important. It's important to the fans but for the club and players it isn't.

All these players are competetive in their own right hence why they made it to a professional football over other equally talented players who didn't make it. That's the difference for me.

Britt being captaining the side or not, won't of improved our results or performance imo.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's not really what he said though, at all. Reminder of the comments -   “It’s something we’ve been thinking about as a squad, and we’ve just come to this decision,” said Assombalonga, wh

Your second paragraph conflicts with your first one surely? It's not about increasing his value per se, more a case of maximising it or polishing a turd in common parlance. Britt isn't and never

Plays well with a man alongside him. We seen that for a couple of months under Woodgate when he played alongside Fletcher and they scored that quality goal against Millwall. But other than that we hav

12 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

The only one who comes close to ticking the Captain boxes now looks like a Vietnam war protester from the 70's. Whatever he is going through at the moment doesn't scream leadership to me.

Don’t judge, you weren’t there man!

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

All these Boro players doing zoom calls with the fans and building a bond between players and fans and guess what.... Britt nowhere to be seen.

To be fair, Britt did do a Zoom thing earlier in the season with MFC Foundation, speaking to kids about racism during Black History month.

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

To be fair, Britt did do a Zoom thing earlier in the season with MFC Foundation, speaking to kids about racism during Black History month.

Yeah the less said about that the better for me 👍.

The same Britt who said the players didn't want to take the knee anymore as they felt the club did enough in house....

Just now, diggerlad07 said:

The same Britt who said the players didn't want to take the knee anymore as they felt the club did enough in house....

That's not really what he said though, at all. Reminder of the comments -

“It’s something we’ve been thinking about as a squad, and we’ve just come to this decision,” said Assombalonga, who took over the captain’s armband earlier this summer. “We obviously took the knee in the last game, but as a squad, we’ve talked about it since then. As a captain, I spoke to the boys because I wanted to take that responsibility. QPR didn’t do it at their last game, so it was something we spoke about.

“There’s an important point to it, but I just feel now that there has to be action. It has to lead to something, as opposed to just being a trend. It can’t be a case of us just doing it for the sake of doing it. We want to see some action.

“I don’t want to be doing it for the rest of my career. I’ve probably got six or seven years left of my career – I don’t want to be taking a knee every time but then still be waiting for a change.

I’ve got a little girl, and I don’t want her to be asking, ‘Daddy, why do you keep on taking a knee?’, and then when I explain to her, she asks, ‘Well, has there been any change?’, and I have to say, ‘Well, no, actually there’s not been any change’. We didn’t take the knee today, and that’s why – because we want to see change.”

Nothing in there equates to what you just attributed to him. 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

That's not true is it? The statement was that it's time for 'action instead of empty statements', I don't think that's a case of thinking our club does enough, more that instead of taking the knee, we should get out there and do more to publicise the action we take against racism. Which getting the club captain to speak to kids about racism is a part of, surely.

I think Sam Morsy is a good captain. I watched him at Wigan where he was captain and he certainly led from the front when he was there. He was both vocal and encouraging

I understand maybe not giving it to him in his first season here but if we continue with him and Howson as a two next season then maybe he someone to look at for the captaincy. 

Morsy has some of the attributes but he needs to sort his own performances out first. Reading was the first game where I would say he had a really good showing. Every other game he has been poor to average. 

Honestly think it should be Fry. He's come on leaps and bounds under Warnock and definitely seems to be finding his voice and becoming the leader in the defence. Plus he's one of the few players in our squad who is from round here, which always helps. I know it didn't work out giving him it under Woody but lets be honest, nothing worked out under Woody.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, diggerlad07 said:

Says everything about the lad to me! He's everything you don't want in a captain especially on the pitch. He's no leader and never has or will be. He was given it to see if it gave him a kick and it failed miserably.

Howson who has been extremely poor last few games should of been giving it for me. With Fry and McNair as back up options when Howson was rested.

For me, people talk way to much about captaincy being important. It's important to the fans but for the club and players it isn't.

All these players are competetive in their own right hence why they made it to a professional football over other equally talented players who didn't make it. That's the difference for me.

Britt being captaining the side or not, won't of improved our results or performance imo.

He's everything you don't want in a captain on the pitch, he's no leader and never has or will be, but the captaincy isn't important, and Britt being the captain or not wouldn't have changed our results or performances.  Isn't some of that contradictory or at the very least you are saying it doesn't actually matter anyway?

Boro could make one of us captain if they wanted to, it wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference.  It's easy to spot when Boro lose a game or go through a bad spell because threads like this appear, looking for answers in all the wrong places.

19 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

He's everything you don't want in a captain on the pitch, he's no leader and never has or will be, but the captaincy isn't important, and Britt being the captain or not wouldn't have changed our results or performances.  Isn't some of that contradictory or at the very least you are saying it doesn't actually matter anyway?

Boro could make one of us captain if they wanted to, it wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference.  It's easy to spot when Boro lose a game or go through a bad spell because threads like this appear, looking for answers in all the wrong places.

No what I meant was it doesn't matter to me who's the captain as all players are leaders in their own way and have a competitive streak otherwise they wouldn't of made it to professional level on ability alone. You need to have that extra nasty/ruthless streak to make it as a professional.

Even if Howson had been captain then we would of been in the exact same position with the same amount of pts imo.

Grassroots I think it does make a difference but not at professional level and that's coming from someone who was captain at grassroots for over 12years.

That's what I was trying to get across, but yeah I can understand how my words were confusing.

1 hour ago, Will said:

Honestly think it should be Fry. He's come on leaps and bounds under Warnock and definitely seems to be finding his voice and becoming the leader in the defence. Plus he's one of the few players in our squad who is from round here, which always helps. I know it didn't work out giving him it under Woody but lets be honest, nothing worked out under Woody.

Yeah Fry is definitely the long term choice I agree.

Only negative I have with it, is that Boro fans give pelters to homegrown players unnecessarily so I hope it wouldn't dent his confidence and performances when we go through a bad patch.

A fter reading through the replies on this thread im still unable to add any half decent suggestions to the questions raisedin the OP. T he main conmclusion going thru my mindis that its thrown up another importantly needed addition in the summer.

no-one in the current squad stands out as a serios contender and my personal take on Britt being given it was to try to give him more reason to involve himself in games but it hsnt happened. 

Totally agree we badly need a Leadbitter character in the squad, even if my Android spell check just changed his name to lead otter.

Britt has been a waste of space as a captain, but surely McNair could do a job for us until we recruit a proper leader? He plays in defence or midfield, is a seasoned player and a full international, generally does a good job on the pitch and has physical presence.