oneBoro Forum

Captain

10 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

The only one who comes close to ticking the Captain boxes now looks like a Vietnam war protester from the 70's. Whatever he is going through at the moment doesn't scream leadership to me.

But how, son?

• Haha 1
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's not really what he said though, at all. Reminder of the comments -   “It’s something we’ve been thinking about as a squad, and we’ve just come to this decision,” said Assombalonga, wh

Your second paragraph conflicts with your first one surely? It's not about increasing his value per se, more a case of maximising it or polishing a turd in common parlance. Britt isn't and never

Plays well with a man alongside him. We seen that for a couple of months under Woodgate when he played alongside Fletcher and they scored that quality goal against Millwall. But other than that we hav

On 2/24/2021 at 12:01 PM, Neverbefore said:

Just wanted to open a discussion about our current captaincy issue and how significant it is to our current position. 

I think most people were confused and definitely apprehensive when Britt was named captain at the start of the season. The rumour was that it was a way of giving him added responsibility which would in turn hopefully lead to an upturn in form or even him signing a new contract. Obviously none of this has worked out, whatever the initial thinking behind it was. 

Last night's conversation after the match regarding our apparent mental fragility got me to thinking - how much of this is down to not having a proper captain to lead the team on the pitch. Would we have fallen apart like we did last night after the first goal if prime leadbitter was out there? Would we be consistently struggling against weaker teams if Southgate was organising the team from the back?

So just a couple of questions to start the discussion -

How important do you think a captain is to the side both on and off the pitch?

Do you think a different decision at the start of the season would leave us in a better position now?

Would you change captains in the middle of the season right now or do you think that could lead to dressing room division?

Who would you like to see take over if you would?

Well its something Warnock has identified as a problem, so I'd say it is fairly significant.

I think Boro are living proof of how important a captain / leader is on the pitch. Off the pitch probably not so much - although I gather they are supposed to help keep the players in line during social occasions, public engagements etc. as well as be a senior figure for other players to talk to about problems.

I'm not sure picking a different player to be skipper would have made much difference, as we don't seem to have any genuine leaders in the squad. Think we're going to have to buy one in from somewhere.

I think the season is too far advanced for there to be any point in changing the captain. Also see previous answer.

If we were to change skipper, for the sake of argument, I'd probably give the armband to someone like Howson or Morsy. Possibly even McNair. Someone who's in a position to see what's happening ahead of / around them and hopefully also with the character to galvanise the rest of the team.

Boro desperately need a Paul Ince / Southgate type of player.

1 hour ago, AnglianRed said:

Well its something Warnock has identified as a problem, so I'd say it is fairly significant.

And then he gave the captaincy to Assombalonga, so how significant a problem do you think he believes it to be?

40 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

And then he gave the captaincy to Assombalonga, so how significant a problem do you think he believes it to be?

I think we all knew at the time it was both bait and an attempt to halt the slide on a devaluing asset while trying to convince other clubs how valuable he was to us. Lets face it he couldn't point to his goals return in trying to boost his value.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I think we all knew at the time it was both bait and an attempt to halt the slide on a devaluing asset while trying to convince other clubs how valuable he was to us. Lets face it he couldn't point to his goals return in trying to boost his value.

Giving someone the captaincy doesn't increase their value, and his value was always going to decrease because he's out of contract this summer.  Do you really think that after giving him the armband, clubs elsewhere would have been suddenly prepared to bid for him, or add a few extra million to their valuation?  I don't see what difference it would make to them?

If Warnock believed that the captaincy has huge importance then he'd have given it to somebody on that basis, and he didn't, he gave it to one of the least likely candidates. 

1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

My comment was based on what he said in the article - not who he gave the armband to.

As I also said, I don't believe we have any players who are actual captain material. NW clearly thinks the same, so maybe he just went "Eenie, meenie, minie, moe"?

Just now, AnglianRed said:

My comment was based on what he said in the article - not who he gave the armband to.

As I also said, I don't believe we have any players who are actual captain material. NW clearly thinks the same, so maybe he just went "Eenie, meenie, minie, moe"?

I know what your comment was based on, mate.  I'm saying his words and actions don't match, do they?

34 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Giving someone the captaincy doesn't increase their value, and his value was always going to decrease because he's out of contract this summer.  Do you really think that after giving him the armband, clubs elsewhere would have been suddenly prepared to bid for him, or add a few extra million to their valuation?  I don't see what difference it would make to them?

If Warnock believed that the captaincy has huge importance then he'd have given it to somebody on that basis, and he didn't, he gave it to one of the least likely candidates. 

Your second paragraph conflicts with your first one surely?

It's not about increasing his value per se, more a case of maximising it or polishing a turd in common parlance. Britt isn't and never will be a Warnock Striker but he is by far the highest earner at the Club. He had/s little resale value because of his contract coming to an end but, if there was a chance to offload him last Summer then we wanted as much as we could get whether that be £5 million or 50p. It helps in bartering if the buyer doesn't know you want rid of the "asset".

If you are negotiating a sale then you accentuate the positives and try and actually sell the product not dumb it down and point out it's limitations. If you are trying to sell a car you wash and polish it first. Selling Britt was very likely a deal breaker in SG splashing cash on the type of Striker Warnock actually wanted, not so much for what we may have got for him but more in terms of getting his wages off the payroll and putting that money to better use.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Your second paragraph conflicts with your first one surely?

It's not about increasing his value per se, more a case of maximising it or polishing a turd in common parlance. Britt isn't and never will be a Warnock Striker but he is by far the highest earner at the Club. He had/s little resale value because of his contract coming to an end but, if there was a chance to offload him last Summer then we wanted as much as we could get whether that be £5 million or 50p. It helps in bartering if the buyer doesn't know you want rid of the "asset".

If you are negotiating a sale then you accentuate the positives and try and actually sell the product not dumb it down and point out it's limitations. If you are trying to sell a car you wash and polish it first. Selling Britt was very likely a deal breaker in SG splashing cash on the type of Striker Warnock actually wanted, not so much for what we may have got for him but more in terms of getting his wages off the payroll and putting that money to better use.

No, I don't see how the second paragraph conflicts with the first?  I'm saying the captaincy is next to meaningless, and whatever Warnock has said about it, the fact that he gave it to Assombalonga probably supports that.  Again, I don't see why the captaincy makes any difference to how other teams would view him, I really don't believe that football clubs work like that, and every club out there would have known we wanted rid.  These things aren't giant secrets, it's mostly just common sense.

Is Howson now our captain?  Quite happy with him or McNair.  Think Bola could be good captain in the future - was impressed with his leadership the game he had the armband, but think he needs to build up more experience first.  Fry's performance has always dipped on the occasions he's been given the armband.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Warnock's confirmed Howson is captain for the rest of the season.

Quite right, Britt did not take the opportunity and very clear that he will be off at the end of the season