oneBoro Forum

Coventry vs Boro 1-2 (Hall, Saville)

Good result in the end. Need a couple of favours tomorrow to keep us in the running. Barnsley win both their games in hand and we are 7 points off the playoffs.

A three game swing is a lot to ask at this stage.

• Like 2
  • Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have said plenty positive when there's been something positive to me, which has been few and far between! We just watch football in different ways. I know you like defensive football with

Absolute rubbish. Only one team plays more long balls than us per game. We have the least percentage of possession in our third of the pitch in the championship, showing we get rid of the ba

Posted Images

49 minutes ago, Uwe said:

Think Johnson is better as a impact player. Just don’t think he can produce for 90 mins 

Before Kebano, NML and Bolasie arrived he was a regular starter and providing the most assists and was the second highest scorer. Not only that but he linked up well with Bola behind him, overlapping one another and covering. It is since he has been dropped that we have been struggling these last few weeks to beat sides like Coventry tonight.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Before Kebano, NML and Bolasie arrived he was a regular starter and providing the most assists and was the second highest scorer. Not only that but he linked up well with Bola behind him, overlapping one another and covering. It is since he has been dropped that we have been struggling these last few weeks to beat sides like Coventry tonight.

He was dropped for Watmore rather than those players.  He played in the defeats against Birmingham and Sheff Wed though, so I'm not sure it's as simple as him not playing means we can't beat sides like Coventry.  He was brought back in for the game at Norwich but that was really a defensive move from Warnock if anything.  Since then he's hardly had a sniff mind.

I think that it is a fairly safe bet that Johnson will get a new contract.  Fairly cheap, willing to play where asked and seems to be popular with teammates...  generally forward-thinking, not too injury prone and rarely shoots from daft angles when he can pass to a player in a better position. might not be a world beater, but definitely someone who won't stand there with his thumb up his orifice

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

He was dropped for Watmore rather than those players.  He played in the defeats against Birmingham and Sheff Wed though, so I'm not sure it's as simple as him not playing means we can't beat sides like Coventry.  He was brought back in for the game at Norwich but that was really a defensive move from Warnock if anything.  Since then he's hardly had a sniff mind.

From memory both he and Watmore played against Wednesday, against Birmingham he was taken off for Watmore (I think). It's obviously more complex than just him not playing, the ones who have played in his place haven't delivered the same or better which is more of a problem. Watmore early days looked like he was going to be special but he has tailed off. Meanwhile Warnock has removed something and replaced it with a lesser alternative.

11 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

Cardiff had 27% possession, won 4-0. 

I love it when direct football works.

Possession can help you control games, but in the end getting a result is about what you do with it.

11 hours ago, thatoldchestnut said:

I am sick to death of hearing about sodding sky blues. What happened to Coventry or city?

They got bombed quite badly during the war.

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, Barnaby said:

The sprinklers were on until 5 mins before KO. Its like a ploughed field 

All teams prepare a pitch that will give them the edge. Back in the early days I have seen BORO narrow pitch’s and flood them before games. The grass is cut to length be it long or short pending the arrival team. It’s to be expected a pitch is not presented to favor the opponent.  The reason we are so inconsistent is more to to do about NW then any other deriding factor.  I only hope he is not given another contract. 

• Like 1

Disclaimer: This post is written with a neutral Neil Warnock view. 

When we play teams like these last two games vs Cardiff and Coventry, it appears that we play more hoof ball and the game turns out pretty scrappy.  BUT, the opponents way of playing and approach makes it very difficult for us to play the football we as fans would like to see!

Head ping Akpong and long passes - What is it good for? Nothing at all, but at times the game has it's own life and that's just the way things turn out. I don't believe for a second, that Neil tells his players to try and string 50 head passes together, before booting the ball out of play ... 

I know it's very frustrating to watch, but it's more difficult to turn it around mid game, than it looks. It was only short spells before and the last 15 minutes of the game, that Coventry gave us the possibility of playing with the ball on the deck. Sometimes you just have to give the opponents som credit; while starting to let go of the belief that the Boro have a divine right to play best and win every time.

Coventry put pressure on us and wanted to nullify us from the off! 

So you also have to give our lads some credit, for being able to turn around a scrappy game with another freak goal against. 

We will never be Barcelona  or Liverpool and in spells we play some ok football. We are still very much in the race for a top six finish and our fixture list seems easier on paper than our rival's! 

When we visit Swansea on Saturday, I guarantee you, that the head tennis will be at a minimum, and we will give them a good go. Both teams will play better football and we might get a result. 
If we should lose, it's still not the end of the world. 

God I love the Championship when we enter the last 15 games .. A LOT can still happen in both ends of the table .. What more do you need as a football fan? 

Have a nice day, fellow fans ❤️

• Like 2

Absolute rubbish.

Only one team plays more long balls than us per game.

We have the least percentage of possession in our third of the pitch in the championship, showing we get rid of the ball as far up the pitch as possible as soon as possible.

Were 17th in the table for possession. 

Were 21st in the table for successful pass percentage

Even getting away from the stats, 90% of our games this season have been scraps, all because that's what our tactics are. We are the reason every game is a head tennis match, not the opposition. 

• Like 6

We simply play to shithouse the other team. There is not much else to it. And there is only one man to blame for it. I've accepted that's the reality but I don't like it. I see no reason to try and explain why we play like we do. It's certainly not because of the opposition. We play like we do because that's the way Warnock sets us up. Even though we don't have striker to play that way. If that doesn't tell you something about the limits of Warnocks tactical knowhow, then I'd argue you are refusing to see it. Warnock IS the definition of hoofball. The only difference from him and Pulis is that he plays actual full backs and wingers. But the gameplay is just as dire.

• Like 2