oneBoro Forum

Next seasons manager....

20 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

I thought the criteria for ex players was cb’s only (Woodgate, Mogga, Southgate)

No the criteria is unqualified and inexperienced! 

• Haha 2
  • Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The average life of a Championship manager is measured in months rather than years. I get the desire for a long term plan but we had one supposedly with Woodgate and that didn't last for long and wors

Can't believe you're even moaning about the club in a hypothetical situation where we did get promoted. We're in the Championship, the Europa League is irrelevant to us. The club should plan

Why do youngsters like you and @Brunners have to Americanise everything? Could you not say preparing to play Hurling 🤷‍♂️ @boroie and @Leesider back me up here 😃

Im convinced Warnock will be given first dibs but not convinced he will want another season here. So who next?... at the end of the day one man and one man only will get a say and a casting vote but chances are,given his track record , thats not going to make things better. for me its a lottery and a game of chance. As with picking a striker to net you lots of goals you just have to hope you happen across the perfect fit. im happpy to appoint a totally unknown and hope for that outcome .  Bruce Rioch is a prime example , no one had any clue about his abilities as a manager but he did a marvellous job on a shoestring. but then look what happened at ARSENAL for the same guy ...and look what happpened immediately after with an unknown french manager. i knew nothing about john neal and lennie lawrence prior to them getting the job here but they both worked out well. sometimes it just falls nicely in place. 

as a footnote is anyone noticing the perfect storm forming on the horizon with AK seemingly 2 or 3 losses away from becoming available.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Duvel said:

No chance of Eddie Howe.

Agreed. I might be making this up but I swear one of the reasons he left burnley was he missed the South. He's not likely to come all the way up here anyway if that's true.

Plus he'll have better opportunities than us.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Brunners said:

Agreed. I might be making this up but I swear one of the reasons he left burnley was he missed the South. He's not likely to come all the way up here anyway if that's true.

Plus he'll have better opportunities than us.

You are correct. The reason was well publicised at the time.  It would need to be a pretty major appointment to tempt him North again (suspect Champions league football would be needed).

• Like 2

last time I saw his salary figure, he was offering to accept a reduction from £4m a year he was on at Bournemouth..  but do we really want to be spending more on a manager than half a dozen players. I know you have to pay for quality, but like the players, there should be a figure that we won't go over..  no point in a Prem manager if it means Div 1 squad (wages wise) 

Seriously, could somebody explain why they'd be happy with David Wagner?

Every complaint laid at Warnock's style of football can be laid at Wagner's but worse.

Promoted scoring 56 goals and conceding 58, they won the play-offs without one of their players scoring, an own goal and 2 penalty shootouts.

The very next season, Warnock got promoted automatically scoring 69 and conceding 39.

He kept Huddersfield up in the first season with a fairly meagre 37 points, which I'll accept is still an achievement, but then stank out the league the next season and he was sacked with them on 11 points after 22 games.

Did a terrible job at Schalke too.

I can understand people who want a new direction and a new manager, though I disagree, but I cannot understand why anyone would want David Wagner.

Edited by TeaCider24
  • Like 3

Marco Silva (Ex Hull, Everton and Benfica) would be my number 1 choice but we all know it won't happen as Gibson won't go foreign management again.

Pearson was my choice in the summer but we all knew Warnock was going to be given an extension.

I wanted the 3year long term plan last summer as it was ideal opportunity because of the out of contract players leaving. Additionally, we all knew this season was going to be a free pass because of the lack of money throughout the league.

We need someone who has experience of the league and is relatively young enough to adapt. 

Howe would be excellent, but no way could we attract someone like him.

Fans need to be realistic and accept we are not the driving force we once were and the job isn't attractive as it was.

I have literally no faith in Gibson making key football decisions for this club anymore, and that's why we keep going round in circles.

• Like 1

If we swap Managers again we are back to where we have been too many times lately, a squad of players with a manager who will have his own ideas and preferences who will take a few months to weigh them all up then decide our strikers are garbage, he needs a new midfield (no doubt to add to the ones we already have) and so on and so on.

In an ideal world I'd love a swashbuckling entertaining manager to see us winning 4-3 every week but in the harsh commercial reality that we are living in SG will quite rightly seek to minimise spending and costs. The best solution in that case is Warnock, he gets crocks and out of favour players and builds a team with them. He somehow consistently manages to get promotions with them as well. Yes he has occasionally spent big money and they haven't always worked out but that applies to every single club and manager in the world of football. If anything it's his budget acquisitions that work out best. If there was a 10/10 solution in terms of management we couldn't afford them anyway, Warnock at this level is probably a 7 or 8/10 and in terms of achieving the aim probably as good as any and better than most.

If he stays I would comfortably be expecting promotion within two years (from now). I haven't got that same confident feeling with say a Lampard as an example. Wagner would be even more negative than Warnock so we can cross that one off unless we want really soul destroying football while grinding out promotion. I doubt Eddie Howe would want to come up here plus I reckon he could Cherry pick (pun intended). 

Put yourself in SG's shoes for a minute. Brexit has severely disrupted and caused additional costs and aggravation for haulage companies, Rockliffe lost their insurance claim for Covid disruption and has been haemorrhaging money for years. MFC have played out twelve months with all the associated wages and overheads with no paying customers. He has a Manager who is getting on with it and who he knows knows what he is doing and will like as not have his team ion the top six next season or even top two and won't throw his toys out because he can't spend serious money because he is old school and realises that bills have to be paid. Who is he going to get that would in all reality deliver a better outcome for the here and now?

I would love to see fast paced, slick passing football and the goals fly in but with that taking three or four years to mature with no guarantee that it even would and the likelihood that the same manager will have the fans on his back within seven or eight months if we are sliding down the table its a gamble. Of course it may work from day one and we run away with the Championship but for it to work needs investment in recruitment, scouting and of course purchasing players with those skill sets which if it is done on a budget has an even longer time period in all likelihood for it to work. Meanwhile SG has Neil Warnock who will frustrate, no doubt agitate at times and even create despair and anguish but is probably nailed on to get promotion or at least top six consistently and on a shoestring budget (comparatively speaking compared to past Boro managers).

• Like 2