oneBoro Forum

Next seasons manager....

Warnock isn't a guarantee of promotion. In the modern era (last 25 years) he's won 3 and he's managed pretty much consistently for that time. Hes not a magic wand that will get you promoted every time.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The average life of a Championship manager is measured in months rather than years. I get the desire for a long term plan but we had one supposedly with Woodgate and that didn't last for long and wors

Can't believe you're even moaning about the club in a hypothetical situation where we did get promoted. We're in the Championship, the Europa League is irrelevant to us. The club should plan

Why do youngsters like you and @Brunners have to Americanise everything? Could you not say preparing to play Hurling 🤷‍♂️ @boroie and @Leesider back me up here 😃

16 hours ago, LinoJo3 said:

Still seems a bit up in the air wether warnock will be here or not, one week he sounds like he wants to stay then he sounds like he’s off. I’m in 2 minds, I can see the benefits of keeping warnock but equally the benefits of getting someone new in.

from the obvious out of work managers there are the ambitious and unlikely options. All did well in the championship but didn’t really help their reputations in the premiership. I don’t think we’d have a chance with any of them but you never know if gibson decides to put up the cash...

Eddie Howe

Marco Silva

Frank Lampard

More realistic options:

Wagner

Paul Cook

wildcard option:

Gareth Ainsworth

Personally interested to hear people’s wildcard options as there’s nothing to exciting in the realistic but obvious options.

I think football will be in a state of flux for the next couple of seasons. Brexit could change the market completely for English clubs. There will be alot of out of work footballers out there and NW seems pretty good at persuading people to come play for him.

I'd be happy with Warnock to steer us through for the next 2 years, then when things return to normal we need to look at a long term plan. 

I think he will stay with the aim of getting us promoted, if he can, then defining that plan may be easier with a few quid behind us. 

If he does leave, with the squad we have now I think we would need another experienced head. I doubt Gibson will go foreign again so Howe or Cook for me. 

If he goes with a rookie again, I can see him going for John Terry. If he does go rookie, he needs an old head as number 2.  

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, SmogInSheff said:

I think football will be in a state of flux for the next couple of seasons. Brexit could change the market completely for English clubs. There will be alot of out of work footballers out there and NW seems pretty good at persuading people to come play for him.

I'd be happy with Warnock to steer us through for the next 2 years, then when things return to normal we need to look at a long term plan. 

I think he will stay with the aim of getting us promoted, if he can, then defining that plan may be easier with a few quid behind us. 

If he does leave, with the squad we have now I think we would need another experienced head. I doubt Gibson will go foreign again so Howe or Cook for me. 

If he goes with a rookie again, I can see him going for John Terry. If he does go rookie, he needs an old head as number 2.  

I think Gibson is happy to stick with Warnock and the only reason that he’ll be looking for a new manager is if Warnock decides to either leave or stay in an advisory capacity (Jepson and Blackwell anyone?)

I think it’s unfair on Gibson to say he’d never employ a foreign manager, I don’t think he’s that narrow minded and you could hardly call Karanka’s tenure here a failure.

On that basis are we assuming he’ll never employ another Scottish manager after the Strachan fiasco? “Foreign” is a catch all slightly xenophobic term, maybe Gibbo wouldn’t employ a feisty Latino manager  from Spain, Italy, Portugal or South America, but what's to say he wouldn’t employ a methodical German a progressive Scandinavian manager or a tactical Dutchman?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

I think Gibson is happy to stick with Warnock and the only reason that he’ll be looking for a new manager is if Warnock decides to either leave or stay in an advisory capacity (Jepson and Blackwell anyone?)

I think it’s unfair on Gibson to say he’d never employ a foreign manager, I don’t think he’s that narrow minded and you could hardly call Karanka’s tenure here a failure.

On that basis are we assuming he’ll never employ another Scottish manager after the Strachan fiasco? “Foreign” is a catch all slightly xenophobic term, maybe Gibbo wouldn’t employ a feisty Latino manager  from Spain, Italy, Portugal or South America, but what's to say he wouldn’t employ a methodical German a progressive Scandinavian manager or a tactical Dutchman?

I think you have nailed it billy. If Warnock chooses not to stay on as manager I think he will be replaced by Blackwell and Jepson. It’s sticking out to me anyway 

• Like 2

"advisory capacity (Jepson and Blackwell anyone?"  This is actually what I think will happen. 

OK - I'll say non-british manager. Hope I am wrong, just don't think he will after AK/Orta etc... Which I agree was a success in my opinion and I wish he hadn't ripped it all up after AK left.

12 minutes ago, SmogInSheff said:

"advisory capacity (Jepson and Blackwell anyone?"  This is actually what I think will happen. 

OK - I'll say non-british manager. Hope I am wrong, just don't think he will after AK/Orta etc... Which I agree was a success in my opinion and I wish he hadn't ripped it all up after AK left.

I would wager that by now he knows himself that ripping things up and constantly starting all over again is very expensive and hasn't been productive. If he doesn't then we (and he) are pretty much doomed whatever he does.

• Like 1

I don't know if this was discussed in another thread or not (👀) ...would you be happy with him becoming Director of Football with an inexperienced, up and coming manager hired?

Just now, Humpty said:

I don't know if this was discussed in another thread or not (👀) ...would you be happy with him becoming Director of Football with an inexperienced, up and coming manager hired?

Problem is you need to be on the same page. Can get messy if you have different philosophies flying around

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Humpty said:

No, he’d have too much influence over an inexperienced manager, NW is a robust character and you’d need a manager who was his own man to a certain extent, otherwise it’s just NW managing by proxy. 

Blackwell has had some mixed fortunes with clubs (probably took on a few jobs he shouldn’t have).

I really wouldn’t be against it. It would allow the club to build on what Warnock has done and does for the next season or so. 

Would make more sense to have continuity than bring in someone who wants to make wholesale changes. 

Don't get why people want us to stick to what we've got at the moment to be honest. It's very boring, hard to watch, splits the fan base and hasn't been successful across either pulis or Warnock. 

If we want to change all of that, this summer is the time to do it with so many big earners out of contract and the knowledge that fans will be back next season. If we go for continuity were just going to end up with another squad of players on 4 year contracts that can only play one way. 

Tear it up and start again this summer, it's the only way were going to get successful football that's actually worth watching in my opinion. 

• Like 1

Warnock in his first part season saved us from going down. That was a massive success.

He hasn’t had a full season yet or even a proper preseason and we are flirting with the play offs? Hardly failing.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

Warnock in his first part season saved us from going down. That was a massive success.

He hasn’t had a full season yet or even a proper preseason and we are flirting with the play offs? Hardly failing.

It’s the style of football that most object to, sure we aren’t going to play like Man City, out from the back, but if we could keep the ball down and play some decent controlled passes on the ground, we’d all be a lot happier.

We’ve got the players to play like that, the only question is, is the manager capable of playing that type of football?