oneBoro Forum

Next seasons manager....

14 minutes ago, Smokedsalmon said:

Gutted by this news. Club once again shows no ambition or long term thinking. Even if Warnock DOES get us up next year, what's the end goal? He never keeps teams up. He doesn't build teams to play the modern game, and you can't stay up in the Prem anymore by playing ****house basic kick and run football (as Allardyce is finding out this season).

Warnock's time at this club ends with us mid table in the Championship, one way or another.

Whats the end goal with an Eddie Howe type manager? Alright it would be better football but Bournemouth just existed in the Premier league and never competed in the cups. 

I'm not saying Warnock is the best we can do but what's the best we can achieve now as a club? Probably survive by the skin of our teeth for a few years before we get relegated again. Thats the depressing reality of football I'm afraid. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The average life of a Championship manager is measured in months rather than years. I get the desire for a long term plan but we had one supposedly with Woodgate and that didn't last for long and wors

Can't believe you're even moaning about the club in a hypothetical situation where we did get promoted. We're in the Championship, the Europa League is irrelevant to us. The club should plan

Why do youngsters like you and @Brunners have to Americanise everything? Could you not say preparing to play Hurling 🤷‍♂️ @boroie and @Leesider back me up here 😃

Just now, Duvel said:

What will be the 'icing on the cake' then? 

A new striker? New keeper? The loan players back for next season? 

I think he clearly wants a new first team striker - using Britts wages hopefully we can bring someone in there who will score 15-20 goals and be a Warnock choice.

I would imagine we will have Bolasie back next season too.

Nooooooo. The only real excitement next season will be to see if the ball will spend more time in the air or on the ground. The only positive part about this is I won't have to contemplate whether I should shell out for the streaming service. Neil if you're reading this: your football is absolutely diabolical to watch. And to pay for it would be insane. That said I'll probably end up paying for multiple matches anyway as I just can't help myself.

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I'm not saying Warnock is the best we can do but what's the best we can achieve now as a club? Probably survive by the skin of our teeth for a few years before we get relegated again. Thats the depressing reality of football I'm afraid. 

We could start by actually having the ambition to play football that doesn't make your eyes bleed.

2 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Nooooooo. The only real excitement next season will be to see if the ball will spend more time in the air or on the ground. The only positive part about this is I won't have to contemplate whether I should shell out for the streaming service. Neil if you're reading this: your football is absolutely diabolical to watch. And to pay for it would be insane. That said I'll probably end up paying for multiple matches anyway as I just can't help myself.

Careful, I hear Kelloe lurks these threads, desperate to apply 🤨🤬 or 😂 emojis to your posts if you aren't happy with the status quo.

• Haha 1
27 minutes ago, Smokedsalmon said:

Even if Warnock DOES get us up next year, what's the end goal? 

Earn 170,000,000 from promotion, try and stay up but accept we will probably be relegated. Help secure the finances of the club and raise the profile of a championship level club.

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Whats the end goal with an Eddie Howe type manager? Alright it would be better football but Bournemouth just existed in the Premier league and never competed in the cups. 

I don't understand the lack of ambition in Boro fans. Everyone seems to be absolutely buzzing to watch another year of hoofball because "what better could we do?" and it baffles me.

If you aren't in a competitive sport to challenge for titles, what is the point? Literally, what is the point?

I'm not saying I want Boro to be challenging for the Premier League, but should we be challenging for a Europa League spot? Absolutely. That is probably the zenith of achievement for a club of our size - and we've done it before, twice - so why not again?

As a football club, we should be out-lining a path-way to the Europa League. How do we turn this team into one capable of finishing 6-7th in the Premier League? If we aren't asking that question, what is the point?

1 minute ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

Earn 170,000,000 from promotion, try and stay up but accept we will probably be relegated. Help secure the finances of the club and raise the profile of a championship level club.

We did that already a few years ago mate. We sacked the manager, completely imploded, lost all the momentum and good-will we had built up over 3 years, and then spunked all of the promotion money up the wall.

Oh, but it's going to be different this time, yeah?

Can't believe you're even moaning about the club in a hypothetical situation where we did get promoted.

We're in the Championship, the Europa League is irrelevant to us.

The club should plan for promotion, that is the end goal in itself.

• Like 7

This news isn’t really a suprise at all. I’m happy, we have progressed from last season and have a much better squad even if the playing style isn’t what a lot of us would like. I think another couple of transfer windows for Warnock will be good. I would say though that progress is key, if we don’t get into the playoffs this season I would want top 6 to be the minimum requirement of another Warnock year. 

hypothetical question: We finish outside the playoffs this season and next season we have a guarenteed playoff spot (not top 2) under Warnock. Would you take this? 

6 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Can't believe you're even moaning about the club in a hypothetical situation where we did get promoted.

We're in the Championship, the Europa League is irrelevant to us.

The club should plan for promotion, that is the end goal in itself.

That sort of short-termism is exactly why the football club is unsuccessful. Getting promoted is maybe 1/4 of the battle. The rest is having a footballing philosophy that goes BEYOND the current manager of the team, a successful recruitment department that buys CHEAP and sells HIGH (there are more ways of funding a football club than parachute payments!), and having a long term VISION for what we want to compete for.

We do none of those things. We lurch from platitude to platitude, "smash the league" here and then "tighten the pursestrings" there, many millions of pounds spent - without thought for the future - on players that fit no rhyme nor reason in any sort of tactical system, and appointing managers with completely conflicting footballing philosophies on a cyclical basis.

I find it barmy that this is the bare minimum people are happy to aim for.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Smokedsalmon said:

We did that already a few years ago mate. We sacked the manager, completely imploded, lost all the momentum and good-will we had built up over 3 years, and then spunked all of the promotion money up the wall.

Oh, but it's going to be different this time, yeah?

I would like to think that we would have learned a harsh lesson from the last time we were promoted. If we were to go up, add no more than 4 players to the squad, not 15 like we did, that completely undermined the squad cohesion. If we can’t compete up there, take it on the chin, drop back down and add 1-2 players and replace any that leave. Returning back up is easier with a joined up squad pulling together not with a mosh mash of mercenaries who don’t give a damn and run at the first sign of a problem 

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, Blanco said:

I would like to think that we would have learned a harsh lesson from the last time we were promoted. If we were to go up, add no more than 4 players to the squad, not 15 like we did, that completely undermined the squad cohesion. If we can’t compete up there, take it on the chin, drop back down and add 1-2 players and replace any that leave. Returning back up is easier with a joined up squad pulling together not with a mosh mash of mercenaries who don’t give a damn and run at the first sign of a problem 

Yeah, I totally agree. So let's say it's Warnock that takes us up.

We stick with him throughout the Prem season, we go down, we keep the squad together. Is it Warnock that's going to then carry on in the Champ, like Dyche or Farke have done? At 75? He's going to sign on for MINIMUM another 3 seasons for us to build on this hypothetical success?

We are relying on Warnock getting us up next year, and someone else coming in the year after to keep us up. That's not a long-term plan, that is bonkers.

Warnock must of received assurances on signings in the summer as he won't of been staying otherwise. If we aren't promoted this year we will be trying to replicate what he did at QPR next season 

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, Smokedsalmon said:

I don't understand the lack of ambition in Boro fans. Everyone seems to be absolutely buzzing to watch another year of hoofball because "what better could we do?" and it baffles me.

Ambition and style aren’t the same thing though. Warnock is a sign of ambition it shows we want to try and go up. It’s not going to be nice on the eye but that’s style. Alternatively we could play nice football and accept 12th place by appointing someone like Mogga. That would show no ambition.

as for Europe we are miles away from that. Wolves are what 12th and look at the quality of players they have and how much they have spent.

• Like 3