oneBoro Forum

Next seasons manager....

Just now, Smokedsalmon said:

Yeah, I totally agree. So let's say it's Warnock that takes us up.

We stick with him throughout the Prem season, we go down, we keep the squad together. Is it Warnock that's going to then carry on in the Champ, like Dyche or Farke have done? At 75? He's going to sign on for MINIMUM another 3 seasons for us to build on this hypothetical success?

We are relying on Warnock getting us up next year, and someone else coming in the year after to keep us up. That's not a long-term plan, that is bonkers.

I think that it is a long term plan because I’m convinced that Blackwell and Jepson will take over when Warnock retires. If I’m right it is a long term plan whether people like it or not. It is far better than lurching from one kind of manager to a different kind every time we hit a bad patch as has been pointed out on here by several posters. It provides a long term plan with an identity of how we play. It won’t provide what I call “fannying about football” but it would provide everything else that people have been crying out for since Karanka left.

• Like 1
  • Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The average life of a Championship manager is measured in months rather than years. I get the desire for a long term plan but we had one supposedly with Woodgate and that didn't last for long and wors

Can't believe you're even moaning about the club in a hypothetical situation where we did get promoted. We're in the Championship, the Europa League is irrelevant to us. The club should plan

Why do youngsters like you and @Brunners have to Americanise everything? Could you not say preparing to play Hurling 🤷‍♂️ @boroie and @Leesider back me up here 😃

9 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Can't believe you're even moaning about the club in a hypothetical situation where we did get promoted.

We're in the Championship, the Europa League is irrelevant to us.

The club should plan for promotion, that is the end goal in itself.

I don't just want to be in the Premier League either, I'd rather we were there to accomplish something, to help us win trophies, to compete with the very best. No, we'll probably never have the resources some clubs have but we've proved in the past we don't need that.

There's no reason we should be scoffing at a long-term plan that sees us challenging for European football places. You can absolutely make and adjust plans for the future whilst dealing with the short-term goals right now. Duvel was literally asking what our ultimate goals are and I think @Smokedsalmon is spot on to say we should be aiming high, be ambitious. You can still do that whilst dealing with the here and now. Our problem is we're so focused in on the short-term aim of getting promoted we couldn't give a toss what happens afterwards. If it's Warnock who takes us up, it could very well be Warnock who takes us back down too.

• Like 2

Warnock has saved us, to be fair to him. Yes the football is dire. Yes he's a bit of a ***. But he's turned around the diabolical decisions of the Monk, Pulis, and Woodgate eras and made us competitive again.

One more year. Let him keep consolidating the turnaround. Then, we move forward. That's the hope. 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Blanco said:

I think that it is a long term plan because I’m convinced that Blackwell and Jepson will take over when Warnock retires. If I’m right it is a long term plan whether people like it or not. It is far better than lurching from one kind of manager to a different kind every time we hit a bad patch as has been pointed out on here by several posters. It provides a long term plan with an identity of how we play. It won’t provide what I call “fannying about football” but it would provide everything else that people have been crying out for since Karanka left.

I just don't understand what success you think a combination of Blackwell & Jepson would bring to the club. Do you seriously see it taking us forward? Are you enjoying watching the matches at the minute? All power to you if you are mate, but for me, if Boro appointed them two after Warnock left, I'd be absolutely distraught. Would be a horrible step sideways.

Putting aside my obvious misgivings around Warnock as a person, what if we lose 8 or 9 of our last 12 games and end up in the bottom quarter?

Why is the decision being made so soon? Warnock showed at Cardiff that he struggles to turn his side around once he's on a really bad run and had to walk from that role admitting he . I know people would say it's better to know and be able to prepare early for the summer but do we really want stuck with a manager who has us in freefall?

Hypothetical of course but it highlights why we really should have waited. By all means, if we're intent on keeping him tell him that if we finish top 10 or top half at the end of the season he's got another year, any less than that and it will be reviewed. Feels like Gibson is bending over backwards for him, just like he did pulis.

I just don't agree that it's a reasonable position to take that it's bad planning by the club to try and get promoted if we don't have a plan in place for European football.

Especially not in the modern game where managers rarely last longer than 2-3 years.

Norwich had a long term plan, they're storming the league with decent football.

Are they *** getting in to Europe.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Putting aside my obvious misgivings around Warnock as a person, what if we lose 8 or 9 of our last 12 games and end up in the bottom quarter?

Why is the decision being made so soon? Warnock showed at Cardiff that he struggles to turn his side around once he's on a really bad run and had to walk from that role admitting he . I know people would say it's better to know and be able to prepare early for the summer but do we really want stuck with a manager who has us in freefall?

Hypothetical of course but it highlights why we really should have waited. By all means, if we're intent on keeping him tell him that if we finish top 10 or top half at the end of the season he's got another year, any less than that and it will be reviewed. Feels like Gibson is bending over backwards for him, just like he did pulis.

That's the thing - he hasn't even been successful.

We haven't even flirted with the play-offs. We've winked at her across the bar and been smacked by her boyfriend every time we've tried to walk over.

I will die on the hill that if we had another manager who wasn't as charismatic as Warnock, the whole fanbase would want rid by now. He's doing no better than Monk did.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, TeaCider24 said:

I just don't agree that it's a reasonable position to take that it's bad to get promoted if we don't have a plan in place for European football.

Especially not in the modern game where managers rarely last longer than 2-3 years.

Norwich had a long term plan, they're storming the league with decent football.

Are they *** getting in to Europe.

They're closer to it than we are! Unbelievably well-run club that is in an amazing financial position, with great young players coming through their team (and making them a lot of money!) and a progressive coach who plays front-foot football. God, I'm jealous.

4 minutes ago, Smokedsalmon said:

They're closer to it than we are! Unbelievably well-run club that is in an amazing financial position, with great young players coming through their team (and making them a lot of money!) and a progressive coach who plays front-foot football. God, I'm jealous.

They went down with 21 points last season, 38 points off the European places.

Obviously by your definition they're failures.

They virtually confirmed that they were expecting to be relegated early on last season, to the point where it was part of their plan for it to happen.

• Like 1
Just now, TeaCider24 said:

They went down with 21 points last season.

Obviously they're failures.

And they're going to be having another crack at it next season whilst we, err, pray for a good target-man to come in.

Yeah, our way is definitely better.

1 minute ago, Smokedsalmon said:

And they're going to be having another crack at it next season whilst we, err, pray for a good target-man to come in.

Yeah, our way is definitely better.

They'll probably get relegated again too, so they'll still be failures with a rubbish long term plan by your definition.

• Like 2
Just now, TeaCider24 said:

They'll probably get relegated again too, so they'll still be failures by your definition.

I've never said I demand SUCCESS, I've said I demand COMPETITION.

Norwich are trying to compete in the Premier League. They've stuck with the manager, the style, the squad. If we did that, and got relegated, I'd be happy. We tried.

We aren't trying.

11 minutes ago, Smokedsalmon said:

I just don't understand what success you think a combination of Blackwell & Jepson would bring to the club. Do you seriously see it taking us forward? Are you enjoying watching the matches at the minute? All power to you if you are mate, but for me, if Boro appointed them two after Warnock left, I'd be absolutely distraught. Would be a horrible step sideways.

I think it has been well documented on here that I am enjoying watching the matches at the minute and I don’t think a future appointment in the same style would change that. Time to cut to the chase... you just want fannying about football don’t you? 🤷‍♂️

35 minutes ago, Whoppy said:

This news isn’t really a suprise at all. I’m happy, we have progressed from last season and have a much better squad even if the playing style isn’t what a lot of us would like. I think another couple of transfer windows for Warnock will be good. I would say though that progress is key, if we don’t get into the playoffs this season I would want top 6 to be the minimum requirement of another Warnock year. 

hypothetical question: We finish outside the playoffs this season and next season we have a guarenteed playoff spot (not top 2) under Warnock. Would you take this? 

That’s exactly the scenario I’ve been expecting since the beginning of the season. I’ve said all along, next season will be the big one for us. 

I’m not a fan of the hoofball that we are currently playing, but I fully expected NW to sign up for another season so I’m not going to throw my toys out of the pram  

As for the long term plan argument...Warnock will have over 2 seasons as manager, that’s more than a lot of managers get at this level. 

• Like 1