oneBoro Forum

Next seasons manager....

1 minute ago, Smokedsalmon said:

I've never said I demand SUCCESS, I've said I demand COMPETITION.

Norwich are trying to compete in the Premier League. They've stuck with the manager, the style, the squad. If we did that, and got relegated, I'd be happy. We tried.

We aren't trying.

They didn't try at all.

They accepted relegation the second they were promoted last time around, their manager virtually said that outright.

• Like 1
  • Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The average life of a Championship manager is measured in months rather than years. I get the desire for a long term plan but we had one supposedly with Woodgate and that didn't last for long and wors

Can't believe you're even moaning about the club in a hypothetical situation where we did get promoted. We're in the Championship, the Europa League is irrelevant to us. The club should plan

Why do youngsters like you and @Brunners have to Americanise everything? Could you not say preparing to play Hurling 🤷‍♂️ @boroie and @Leesider back me up here 😃

3 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

I just don't agree that it's a reasonable position to take that it's bad planning by the club to try and get promoted if we don't have a plan in place for European football.

Especially not in the modern game where managers rarely last longer than 2-3 years.

Norwich had a long term plan, they're storming the league with decent football.

Are they *** getting in to Europe.

They might not in the next 5 years but why should they not look to be in the running for that in the long term? I don't look at a club like Norwich and see them settling for where they are, they'll keep trying to push on and even if Farke leaves will look to bring in someone of a similar mind to push them further. They obviously weren't fussed on relegation so long as it continued their long-term plan and that seems to have done them the world of good vs. the other relegated teams, as it did with Dyche too.

2 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

They went down with 21 points last season, 38 points off the European places.

Obviously by your definition they're failures.

They virtually confirmed that they were expecting to be relegated early on last season, to the point where it was part of their plan for it to happen.

Why would they be considered failures by our definition? They're going to get promoted again and are sustainably still improving their team and sticking to their ethos in doing it, including sticking by their manager. What about that is failing in the long-term? What is it about 'long-term plan' that you're not understanding? You seem to think long-term means "Getting promoted then getting into Europe straight away", that's not long-term thinking at all.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, TeaCider24 said:

They didn't try at all.

They accepted relegation the second they were promoted last time around, their manager virtually said that outright.

They didn't spend millions and millions trying to stay up, no. They kept the finances healthy and the squad intact. Long-term planning and foresight so that they can bounce back at the first time of asking, with a better squad, and more money to spend.

That's, again, all I'm asking for. A long-term goal.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Blanco said:

I think it has been well documented on here that I am enjoying watching the matches at the minute and I don’t think a future appointment in the same style would change that. Time to cut to the chase... you just want fannying about football don’t you? 🤷‍♂️

Not at all mate! I've said it before on here I want us to play an aggressive, counter-pressing style a-la Klopp, Nagelsmann, Rangnick etc.

Quick transitions and high tempo attacking play are the way to dominate the modern game! Possession is a meaningless stat, but that doesn't mean you ping it into the channels every time without thought, which is what we do.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

They might not in the next 5 years but why should they not look to be in the running for that in the long term? I don't look at a club like Norwich and see them settling for where they are, they'll keep trying to push on and even if Farke leaves will look to bring in someone of a similar mind to push them further. They obviously weren't fussed on relegation so long as it continued their long-term plan and that seems to have done them the world of good vs. the other relegated teams, as it did with Dyche too.

Why would they be considered failures by our definition? They're going to get promoted again and are sustainably still improving their team and sticking to their ethos in doing it, including sticking by their manager. What about that is failing in the long-term? What is it about 'long-term plan' that you're not understanding? You seem to think long-term means "Getting promoted then getting into Europe straight away", that's not long-term thinking at all.

I have no problem whatsoever with what Norwich are doing, I admire them for it.

I'm arguing that Warnock not being a pathway to European football does not mean that there's no point in getting promoted under him, or that the club couldn't stay up with this style of play. Burnley do it year after year.

I expect Farke to leave Norwich in a year or two having either been relegated with them or scraped by, I don't expect Norwich to get European football at any point in the next decade. It doesn't mean Farke was a bad appointment or that Norwich's plan is poor.

• Like 1
Just now, Smokedsalmon said:

Not at all mate! I've said it before on here I want us to play an aggressive, counter-pressing style a-la Klopp, Nagelsmann, Rangnick etc.

Quick transitions and high tempo attacking play are the way to dominate the modern game! Possession is a meaningless stat, but that doesn't mean you ping it into the channels every time without thought, which is what we do.

But is my thoughts on what I think is happening not a long term goal?

Which is all you are asking for?

1 minute ago, Blanco said:

But is my thoughts on what I think is happening not a long term goal?

Which is all you are asking for?

I mean, aiming for League 2 would be a long term goal as well, doesn't mean it's the one I want.

Happy to agree to disagree that you think our current style and coaching team can take the team forwards, and I don't! Football is a game of opinions.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Duvel said:

Whats the end goal with an Eddie Howe type manager? Alright it would be better football but Bournemouth just existed in the Premier league and never competed in the cups. 

I'm not saying Warnock is the best we can do but what's the best we can achieve now as a club? Probably survive by the skin of our teeth for a few years before we get relegated again. Thats the depressing reality of football I'm afraid. 

The cups aside, this is a bad thing?

Shocking... absolutely woeful...

Zero ambition... zero inventiveness... zero future planning... Gibson needs to go... and take that dinosaur with him!

6 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

I have no problem whatsoever with what Norwich are doing, I admire them for it.

I'm arguing that Warnock not being a pathway to European football does not mean that there's no point in getting promoted under him, or that the club couldn't stay up with this style of play. Burnley do it year after year.

I expect Farke to leave Norwich in a year or two having either been relegated with them or scraped by, I don't expect Norwich to get European football at any point in the next decade. It doesn't mean Farke was a bad appointment or that Norwich's plan is poor.

Didn't you call Burnley a pointless club a week or two ago?

2 minutes ago, Smokedsalmon said:

I mean, aiming for League 2 would be a long term goal as well, doesn't mean it's the one I want.

Happy to agree to disagree that you think our current style and coaching team can take the team forwards, and I don't! Football is a game of opinions.

You don’t think Warnock can get us promotion? I do. And for me that’s taking the club forwards. Don’t give a crap how we do it or what brand of football we play. I bet all the Cardiff fans are outraged that they signed McCarthy the dinosaur. Getting promotion should be the main aim of both the club and the fans. We can worry about changing style or whatever you want to call it when we have £180million in the bank. Just focus on getting out of this league for now, it doesn’t matter how.  

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Didn't you call Burnley a pointless club a week or two ago?

Yeah?

Am I a Burnley fan? 

They play direct football, their long term plan seems to have been to underfund their manager and just hover about in the league and get knocked out of the cups.

Even when they were briefly in Europe, they didn't plan for Europe.

I'm sure everyone on this board would swap places with Burnley in a heart beat.

57 minutes ago, Smokedsalmon said:

I don't understand the lack of ambition in Boro fans. Everyone seems to be absolutely buzzing to watch another year of hoofball because "what better could we do?" and it baffles me.

I think you misread my post or maybe I didnt explain what I meant very well. 

My point is that the best we could probably do would be to appoint someone like Eddie Howe. He'd play brilliant football but we'd still get battered on a regular basis in the top flight and battle every season to stay up. 

The days of European football are pretty unlikely in my opinion. Look at the players we bought in that era, the best 3 players that Villa had for a start. Southgate, Ugo and Boateng would cost more than 100m nowadays and we bought them before we added the flair players. 

Fair enough if you want a fresh start, let's try and find a manager who will play good football. But in terms of league positions the best we can hope for is what Bournemouth did or Brighton are doing in my opinion, unless we get more investment. The days of spending our way to Europe are long gone. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Humpty said:

The cups aside, this is a bad thing?

Not at all but let's stop talking about Europe when we've spent 1 season in the top flight since 2009. Right now its not realistic. 

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

You don’t think Warnock can get us promotion? I do. And for me that’s taking the club forwards. Don’t give a crap how we do it or what brand of football we play. I bet all the Cardiff fans are outraged that they signed McCarthy the dinosaur. Getting promotion should be the main aim of both the club and the fans. We can worry about changing style or whatever you want to call it when we have £180million in the bank. Just focus on getting out of this league for now, it doesn’t matter how.  

Maybe you're right mate! I hope so. I'm basing my views on the performance of recently promoted teams (and teams in other countries around Europe!) and how they play. There's a lot of football clubs, at the moment, who are battling it out with the traditional big boys (RB Leipzig in Germany, Atalanta in Serie A, Leicester in the UK) through great long-term planning and style, and I'd love for Boro to be a success story for once!