oneBoro Forum

Next seasons manager....

11 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I seriously wonder if you deliberately use the art of obfuscation to manipulate posts down alleyways to amuse yourself.

CT’s epitaph will read “master obfuscation manipulator who thankfully won’t be amusing himself down alleyways anymore “

🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1
  • Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The average life of a Championship manager is measured in months rather than years. I get the desire for a long term plan but we had one supposedly with Woodgate and that didn't last for long and wors

Can't believe you're even moaning about the club in a hypothetical situation where we did get promoted. We're in the Championship, the Europa League is irrelevant to us. The club should plan

Why do youngsters like you and @Brunners have to Americanise everything? Could you not say preparing to play Hurling 🤷‍♂️ @boroie and @Leesider back me up here 😃

12 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

It was blindingly obvious to the majority who reacted to the post except yourself.

Ok but as I seem to have missed your point then I'm asking you to explain it more clearly.  No idea why you're being arsey when my replies weren't arsey to you though.

4 hours ago, Changing Times said:

We were more competitive under Pulis, and just as competitive under Monk.  The only diabolical decision he has helped to turn around was the one to appoint Woodgate, and that was only made because Pulis turned Gibson down, and Gibson thought he could get away with giving it to Woodgate.

I didn't mean we weren't competitive under Monk and Pulis - as you say, certainly did mean Woody. The issues he's helped turn around for Monk and Pulis are more financial; insane wages, high transfer fees on mediocre players. He's essentially done the job which Pulis claimed he'd be doing, whilst actually just lining his own pockets.

Stability is the most succinct word for it I think. In different ways compared to different tenures, but now at least stable in a higher percentage of aspects. I'm not a fan of the guy, but I am thankful for the work he's done so far. 

I also think he's benefitted from there being no fans in the stadium. Less 'in your face' reviews of the style of football played.

30 minutes ago, Snowblind said:

I didn't mean we weren't competitive under Monk and Pulis - as you say, certainly did mean Woody. The issues he's helped turn around for Monk and Pulis are more financial; insane wages, high transfer fees on mediocre players. He's essentially done the job which Pulis claimed he'd be doing, whilst actually just lining his own pockets.

Stability is the most succinct word for it I think. In different ways compared to different tenures, but now at least stable in a higher percentage of aspects. I'm not a fan of the guy, but I am thankful for the work he's done so far. 

I also think he's benefitted from there being no fans in the stadium. Less 'in your face' reviews of the style of football played.

Didn't some of that happen before Warnock ever showed up, and wouldn't it all have happened regardless of who the manager was?  Some players were sold, some left when their contracts expired, a couple will likely leave when their contract expires this summer, and a couple have been kept on like Howson and Johnson.  I'm not even sure you could call some of the players who have left losses.  We were glad to be shot of them.

1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

Ok but as I seem to have missed your point then I'm asking you to explain it more clearly.  No idea why you're being arsey when my replies weren't arsey to you though.

Exasperation isn't being arsey.

1 minute ago, Changing Times said:

Ok I take that back.  So will you explain your point more clearly please?

It is very clear as illustrated by all the other reactions as I have pointed out previously. I suggest you read it again and if you singularly don't understand it then I can't make it any clearer for you however I suspect that you are just indulging in a series of manipulative tennis semantics for your own gratification.

4 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

It is very clear as illustrated by all the other reactions as I have pointed out previously. I suggest you read it again and if you singularly don't understand it then I can't make it any clearer for you however I suspect that you are just indulging in a series of manipulative tennis semantics for your own gratification.

I have read each of your posts, mate, I wouldn't respond to them otherwise.  I've replied to various bits of it, and as I don't agree with them you've decided I'm manipulating what you've said, but you also won't clarify what you meant, so that makes it pretty difficult for me, doesn't it?

I still don't understand the personal circumstances part of your post earlier but you seem to think it's perfectly clear.  If anyone else understands it and would be willing to explain it then great.  The rest of your post seems to be along the lines of 'it is what it is and we shouldn't expect anything else'.  That's fine but I do expect more and I don't accept it being as it is.  

I've disagreed with the majority of Gibsons appointments since McLaren but despite that, I could still see why he made them. 

Even now, if I imagine I was the chairman and it was my money I was putting in I can see the logic with appointing a safe pair of hands with the likes of Strachan/ Pulis /Warnock. 

Where he's gone wrong is between those pragmatic managers he's appointed various other styles. This has meant we've had no long term vision and managers are left with players they don't want. 

The thing that surprises me is that someone so successful in business can keep making the same mistakes over and over again in football. I would imagine that in business he has to recruit experts from different fields to carry out roles he's not an expert in himself. Why hasn't he done that at the Boro, call it a director of football or sporting director whatever.... he must be able to find some football experts who know how to run a football club. 

We talked on here about Heine Otto and Michael Reiziger the summer that Woodgate was appointed, people who have been immersed in the Ajax culture. Why not look at people like that. I mentioned Bergkamp before, even if we had to pay him a top salary to be a DOF wouldn't it be money well spent if it stopped us wasting money on poor players and he could set up a long term vision for the next decade. 

Unfortunately I don't think Gibson has the fire in his belly that he had in the 90s. I think he knows that we can't compete at the top level and is happy to keep the club afloat in the Championship with the hope of maybe doing a Norwich. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

That's fine but I do expect more and I don't accept it being as it is.  

What can we do though apart from not buying tickets? 

I didn't renew my season tickets when Woodgate was appointed but I doubt it made any difference. 

I've gone from being someone who lived and breathed the Boro to being completely apathetic within the space of a couple of years. The run of Agnew, Monk, Pulis and Woodgate destroyed any belief I had in Gibson getting things right. 

• Like 1

I think it feels right that Warnock is staying. Despite the turgid football, his transfer dealings at least make sense on the whole.

If he gets a few quality additions this summer, we could be half decent next year. 

Then it'll be most likely the excitement of a new manager. Warnock bows out with Promotion, and the Boro appoint someone awesome to take them into the new Premiership era.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Duvel said:

What can we do though apart from not buying tickets? 

I didn't renew my season tickets when Woodgate was appointed but I doubt it made any difference. 

I've gone from being someone who lived and breathed the Boro to being completely apathetic within the space of a couple of years. The run of Agnew, Monk, Pulis and Woodgate destroyed any belief I had in Gibson getting things right. 

Make a fuss about it at least.  Apathy isn't going to get anything done either.  If enough people aren't happy, things will change one way or another.  It's when people just put up with stuff that nothing ever gets done.

This decision has left me feeling completely apathetic towards the club. The thought of having to bare Warnock’s lack of attacking tactics, watching us constantly launch long ball after long ball hopelessly up the field, for another year and a bit is depressing. I really want to re-find my passion for the club (and football, in general) but it’s been so long now since I’ve enjoyed watching Boro play, and it’s now going to be at least another year and a half before I do. 

And one other thing... I’m reading comments from Boro fans on Twitter/Facebook and they’re delighted by the news. I honestly don’t get it. What am I missing? Pulis was the worst manager in the world, yet Warnock is great. I couldn’t stand Pulis but he had us in a better position than Warnock currently has us in and the football is no better. The only difference is that the expectation has been lowered so much because of how ridiculously inept Woodgate was.