oneBoro Forum

Next seasons manager....

Warnock is the only manager we have had since McClaren who's addressed the imbalance in the squad.

Let him get some powerful centre forwards in and then let's see.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The average life of a Championship manager is measured in months rather than years. I get the desire for a long term plan but we had one supposedly with Woodgate and that didn't last for long and wors

Can't believe you're even moaning about the club in a hypothetical situation where we did get promoted. We're in the Championship, the Europa League is irrelevant to us. The club should plan

Why do youngsters like you and @Brunners have to Americanise everything? Could you not say preparing to play Hurling 🤷‍♂️ @boroie and @Leesider back me up here 😃

2 minutes ago, TheJew said:

Warnock is the only manager we have had since McClaren who's addressed the imbalance in the squad.

Let him get some powerful centre forwards in and then let's see.

Since McClaren? In what way were we imbalanced under Karanka?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Didn't some of that happen before Warnock ever showed up, and wouldn't it all have happened regardless of who the manager was?  Some players were sold, some left when their contracts expired, a couple will likely leave when their contract expires this summer, and a couple have been kept on like Howson and Johnson.  I'm not even sure you could call some of the players who have left losses.  We were glad to be shot of them.

Perhaps. But a player like Howson signing on a lesser contract, Fletch being offered a lower deal and considering it, and Marvin Johnson re-signing and actually contributing aren't exclusive of who the manager is. Getting players like Dijksteel and Bola to play as they have, and even getting the best out of McNair, are firmly on Warnock's doorstep. Even look at Fry now compared to when people were writing him off over the last 2 years. Then add to that the Watmore deal. And signing our first genuine wide players for *** knows how long.

What happens in logic and what happens in reality aren't always married. Again, Pulis' tenure being a case in point.

If I were Gibson? I wouldn't have offered him a deal right now. But it's quite easy to see why he has. And it's quite easy to see what Warnock has done here in a short, tumultuous period. It's a 'safe' decision. Not exciting. But at a time when all football clubs at this level are struggling to meet financial demands, you can absolutely understand going for safety.

• Like 5
9 hours ago, J.T. said:

And one other thing... I’m reading comments from Boro fans on Twitter/Facebook and they’re delighted by the news. I honestly don’t get it. What am I missing? Pulis was the worst manager in the world, yet Warnock is great. I couldn’t stand Pulis but he had us in a better position than Warnock currently has us in and the football is no better. The only difference is that the expectation has been lowered so much because of how ridiculously inept Woodgate was.

Just look at FMTTM, they are all delighted that he’s signed up for another year. I don’t know how censored it is over there, Rob has a habit of banning people that don’t agree with him, but I’ve never seen such one sided praise for a Boro manager. I don’t get it either, maybe we are the ones that are missing something. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, J.T. said:

And one other thing... I’m reading comments from Boro fans on Twitter/Facebook and they’re delighted by the news. I honestly don’t get it. What am I missing? Pulis was the worst manager in the world, yet Warnock is great. I couldn’t stand Pulis but he had us in a better position than Warnock currently has us in and the football is no better. The only difference is that the expectation has been lowered so much because of how ridiculously inept Woodgate was.

I think on the whole the majority of fans seem to be happy with it. I think if people can see progress in our league position thats enough to buy a manager time. 

It wouldn't surprise me if Warnock got us up next season as well, he knows how to get teams promoted and if he gets a good striker we might not be far away. 

The other side of it is what happens after that and is there a long term plan or vision. Maybe Gibson will see one year in the Premier league as enough of a plan and then we go from there. 

• Like 1

I'm fairly horrified at the thought of Warnock being the one to rebuild our squad when the last high earners leave and we have close to a clean slate to mould the squad. He's only here for a year but the squad will be build around players suited for direct hoofball with the ball more in the air than on the ground. When he leaves the only logical solution will be to bring in another manager of the same mould to continue with the assmebled squad. But we all know that Gibson will hire someone with a totally different mindset, and we start from scratch again with chopping and changing.

This summer is the perfect time to actually try to build something that resembles a squad with the intention of playing decent football. The defence and central midfield is more or less set to go, so a new manager would have the relative freedom of building his own attack. 

I will say though, that the only positive thing about Warnocks tactics is that he has an eye for decent wingers. He just uses them wrong. Players like Tav, Kebano and Watmore are never going to win headers. They need the ball in their feet and run at defenders and get into the box. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
22 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Just look at FMTTM, they are all delighted that he’s signed up for another year. I don’t know how censored it is over there, Rob has a habit of banning people that don’t agree with him, but I’ve never seen such one sided praise for a Boro manager. I don’t get it either, maybe we are the ones that are missing something. 

I'm not saying people are wrong to hold the opinion, but from what I've see this site has always been far more vocally negative than anywhere else since Warnock took over.

It's not just FMTTM, I'm always checking Facebook and Twitter threads and throughout the season people seem to have always been generally happy with Warnock, even when we lose, but on here it's far more critical of everything.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I think on the whole the majority of fans seem to be happy with it. I think if people can see progress in our league position thats enough to buy a manager time. 

It wouldn't surprise me if Warnock got us up next season as well, he knows how to get teams promoted and if he gets a good striker we might not be far away. 

The other side of it is what happens after that and is there a long term plan or vision. Maybe Gibson will see one year in the Premier league as enough of a plan and then we go from there. 

IF we somehow manage to get promoted next season I hope we just gamble and take on someone completely new. I really don't want to be managed by a Warnock or Karanka type in the Prem. I'd rather do like Southampton did when Adkins got them promoted and they changed him for Pochettino. Change manager upon promotion to someone with a more technical approach. We did the dull and defensive approach last time and it didn't work out. Let's just gamble on someone with a track record of decent football.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

I'm not saying people are wrong to hold the opinion, but from what I've see this site has always been far more vocally negative than anywhere else since Warnock took over.

It's not just FMTTM, I'm always checking Facebook and Twitter threads and throughout the season people seem to have been generally happy with Warnock all, even when we lose, but on here it's far more critical of everything.

I had a discussion yesterday on Facebook when the club revealed the extension. One of the posters asked if I even live in Middlesbrough because Warnok brings a smile on the face to a lot of people in the town. I should have asked him if he knows a guy who goes by the name Changing Times.

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Borodane said:

I had a discussion yesterday on Facebook when the club revealed the extension. One of the posters asked if I even live in Middlesbrough because Warnok brings a smile on the face to a lot of people in the town. I should have asked him if he knows a guy who goes by the name Changing Times.

I think Warnocks straight talking and working class background will be popular with a lot of fans. It was the same with Pulis for a while, the interesting thing will be when the fans come back.

If we are grinding out 1-0 wins in a promotion push then I think the majority will accept that. If we are stinking the place out and outside the playoff places next season then fans will voice they displeasure. I don't think a lot of fans get wrapped up in the 'longterm vision' of the club they just want to see wins on a Saturday. Thats probably why this forum seems more negative because the conversation gets quite in depth at times. 

Back to the Pulis comparison... I've seen a few bad games under Warnock but its still not in the same league as Pulis' negativity or at least the way it ended under Pulis. At least under Warnock you see 3 or 4 attack minded players rather than 5 centre backs and 4 central midfielders. 

• Like 4

Warnock repeatedly talked about needing 2 or 3 players yesterday in the various pressers he did. I think he is purposely being clever here as imo he needs a minimum of 4 players and that is providing Fletcher and Marv stay. Britt is clearly on way out. If Fletcher and Marv stay i think we need the following 4 players as a minimum: 

GK, Wide men x2, Striker.

There no guarantee Fletcher and Marv will stay so that 4 could become 6. Think NW alluded to fact Marv not happy with his game time of late even thought he now played enough games to trigger a contract extension.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Warnock repeatedly talked about needing 2 or 3 players yesterday in the various pressers he did. I think he is purposely being clever here as imo he needs a minimum of 4 players and that is providing Fletcher and Marv stay. Britt is clearly on way out. If Fletcher and Marv stay i think we need the following 4 players as a minimum: 

There no guarantee Fletcher and Marv will stay so that 4 could become 6. Think NW alluded to fact Marv not happy with his game time of late even thought he now played enough games to trigger a contract extension.

Next season Marv will get more game time as we won’t have Bolasie or Kebano in front of him. 

15 hours ago, Changing Times said:

I think it definitely won't be offered to them.  The actual idea of either of them managing us is ridiculous.  I think only a special sort of mind would even contemplate it 🙂

You mean the kind of special mind that would contemplate appointing Woodgate?

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

I really struggle to see why we need to spend money on a keeper. We currently have one playing in the 2. Bundesliga which is hardly a worse level than the Championship and by all accounts he's doing fairly well.

• Like 1