oneBoro Forum

Next seasons manager....

2 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

I do too, but I honestly don't get why people are that bothered.

Seems to have been treated slightly harshly, but I don't think he played particularly well when he was given a chance. Lots of parrying in to dangerous areas.

He only seems to be getting built up by people because of how poor Bettinelli has been for most of the season (though I actually think he's played well in the last two games).

Last season people were fuming that Pears was dropped for him, now they're fuming he's been dropped himself.

Stojanovic improved a lot during the run of games he had and I believe that he would have continued that improvement.  When he first started playing games for us he was he was unreliable and I had about as much confidence in him as I do in Bettinelli.  In his final games for us I had confidence in him being able to save most things that Randolf would have done.  I stopped thinking 'Oh dear, a corner, we're going to concede here'.

• Like 2
  • Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The average life of a Championship manager is measured in months rather than years. I get the desire for a long term plan but we had one supposedly with Woodgate and that didn't last for long and wors

Can't believe you're even moaning about the club in a hypothetical situation where we did get promoted. We're in the Championship, the Europa League is irrelevant to us. The club should plan

Why do youngsters like you and @Brunners have to Americanise everything? Could you not say preparing to play Hurling 🤷‍♂️ @boroie and @Leesider back me up here 😃

1 hour ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

I'm fairly happy that Warnock is staying on next season. Let's be honest, after narrowly avoiding relegation how many people genuinely expected us to be in the top half of the table this close to the end of the season?

Next year fans will be back in the stadium and that should be a massive boost. I'm not expecting us to make the playoffs but I am expecting some canny signings in the summer and workrate will see us up there this time next year, not attractive football.

I'm seen as one of the most negative people on here and in the predictions thread at the start of the season I said 8 -12th. We underachieved last season, were not over achieving this season. 

That will be my prediction for next season too. Warnocks game of playing for breaks and luck will get enough results in this league to always be comfortable but I genuinely think that that Cardiff season was a fluke. Other than that, every team who has been promoted from the league since weve been back in it have all been the best football teams. 

Football has changed, we can't expect to get promoted by defending and hoping we have enough quality to win by a goal every game anymore. 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

You mean the kind of special mind that would contemplate appointing Woodgate?

4 hours ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

More the type of mind that would appoint Agnew, I would say. 

I think they were different circumstances. Agnew was brought to the club by Gibson (the second time). Even then he had a long-standing relationship with the club going back 10 years on and off, and had worked with Gary Gill before that as well. Woodgate has also been part of the club for a good while and is a local lad, who Gibson clearly had/has a lot of time for.  Blackwell and Jepson are outsiders who have been brought to the club by Warnock.  I don’t think Gibson will have the same relationships with either of them that he had with Agnew and Woodgate.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Duvel said:

I think on the whole the majority of fans seem to be happy with it. I think if people can see progress in our league position thats enough to buy a manager time. 

It wouldn't surprise me if Warnock got us up next season as well, he knows how to get teams promoted and if he gets a good striker we might not be far away. 

The other side of it is what happens after that and is there a long term plan or vision. Maybe Gibson will see one year in the Premier league as enough of a plan and then we go from there. 

It worked brilliantly the last time 😬

15 hours ago, TheJew said:

I think it feels right that Warnock is staying. Despite the turgid football, his transfer dealings at least make sense on the whole.

If he gets a few quality additions this summer, we could be half decent next year. 

Then it'll be most likely the excitement of a new manager. Warnock bows out with Promotion, and the Boro appoint someone awesome to take them into the new Premiership era.

But that is the problem in a nut shell. The new manager comes in and what if he doesn’t fancy Warnocks signings?? You then go into the routine of buying to replace all over again, leave with an unbalanced squad and don’t progress

Will i cannot deny NW saved us from a near fatal relegation but neither will I give him any credit for the achievements this season to-date. The fact he has gotten away without much criticism is the fact we were so dire the season before. 

I think the football is chronic, his game plan, selections, substations and the timing are bewildering. Progress and consistency, well there is none to speak of despite signing 11 players today. Hs press contributions are Jurassic revolving around how he wishes to have players from other teams, which hardly boosts moral. But they are comical in a way. 

Is it really that difficult to-play players in there rightful portions, to play the ball on the floor and let the ball do the work, to pass between players, move into space, a-bit of awareness and talk to each other, play in the final third, drop players that don't perform, mentor fringe players. 

I stated mid table and with players NW wanted, possibly a bit higher which is were I expect to finish, not the play offs, but I did expect to see some decent football. 

If he leaves I will not be disappointed nor will I celebrate either because quite frankly I don't think there is a plan to leave the Championship for greener pasture anytime soon, if at any time. 

Edited by sanddancer

I think people are giving Warnock the benefit of the doubt because he's done what no manager has done in the last decade and bring in quality wide options. Even Karanka, our best manager in that period, played Stuani out wide incessantly. Warnock has actually signed several players with genuine attacking promise, suggesting that the current tactic of hoof it to the (not very) big man up front may not be his long-term approach. Let's face it, Cardiff did more than hoof their way to promotion under him.

With some time to bed in, a front four of Kebano, Bolassie, Watmore and Fletcher is mouthwatering, with the likes of NML and Johnson in reserve. The fact Britt and Akpom couldn't hit a cow's *** with a banjo is holding us back, but I don't believe Warnock would have signed the wide creative players he has if his sole tactic in the rest of his time at the Boro is going to involve asking a s**t keeper to hoof it. There has to be more in his long-term plan than that, otherwise he might as well do what Pulis did and play four central defenders and five defensive midfielders.

Surely NW needs the summer to see what sort of tune he can wring from this promising (if currently under-delivering) squad? That's why I and probably others are cautiously optimistic about his contract extension.

• Like 5
49 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

I think people are giving Warnock the benefit of the doubt because he's done what no manager has done in the last decade and bring in quality wide options. Even Karanka, our best manager in that period, played Stuani out wide incessantly. Warnock has actually signed several players with genuine attacking promise, suggesting that the current tactic of hoof it to the (not very) big man up front may not be his long-term approach. Let's face it, Cardiff did more than hoof their way to promotion under him.

With some time to bed in, a front four of Kebano, Bolassie, Watmore and Fletcher is mouthwatering, with the likes of NML and Johnson in reserve. The fact Britt and Akpom couldn't hit a cow's *** with a banjo is holding us back, but I don't believe Warnock would have signed the wide creative players he has if his sole tactic in the rest of his time at the Boro is going to involve asking a s**t keeper to hoof it. There has to be more in his long-term plan than that, otherwise he might as well do what Pulis did and play four central defenders and five defensive midfielders.

Surely NW needs the summer to see what sort of tune he can wring from this promising (if currently under-delivering) squad? That's why I and probably others are cautiously optimistic about his contract extension.

They're the runners, still think he wants the big lump up top to win the aerials for them to play off. Be surprised if we weren't still playing a very direct style, hopefully just more effectively with an actual targetman.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Blanco said:

Defenders, Full backs, Midfielders.......

Lend me your ears 👂.......

I dunno billy a bit of Shakespeare and we could claim to have a cultured defence 😃

He was our keeper, faithful and just to us:

But Warnock says he was calamitous;

And Warnock is an honourable man.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Our situation is more like the beginning of A Tale of Two Cities..  it was the best of games.. it was the worst of games..  passes of wisdom, passes of foolishness. displays of belief and displays of incredulity, the season of light and the season of darkness, the autumn of hope and the January of despair...  who said culture was dead 🙂 

• Like 5
17 minutes ago, Old Codger said:

Our situation is more like the beginning of A Tale of Two Cities..  it was the best of games.. it was the worst of games..  passes of wisdom, passes of foolishness. displays of belief and displays of incredulity, the season of light and the season of darkness, the autumn of hope and the January of despair...  who said culture was dead 🙂 

Marvellous OC 😃

4 hours ago, Old Codger said:

Dickens and Shakespeare? Wouldn't get this level of cultural reference on FMTTM. 😉

Edited by Snowblind
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
On 3/4/2021 at 11:12 AM, Blanco said:

I would like to think that we would have learned a harsh lesson from the last time we were promoted. If we were to go up, add no more than 4 players to the squad, not 15 like we did, that completely undermined the squad cohesion. If we can’t compete up there, take it on the chin, drop back down and add 1-2 players and replace any that leave. Returning back up is easier with a joined up squad pulling together not with a mosh mash of mercenaries who don’t give a damn and run at the first sign of a problem 

I’d agree with this however ‘going down and taking it on the chin’ depends a lot on the fans. If we aren’t performing a lot of them are going to start the booing etc, playing at a higher level doesn’t come into it. Our fans need to be more realistic sometimes.

• Like 1
On 3/4/2021 at 11:23 AM, Blanco said:

I think that it is a long term plan because I’m convinced that Blackwell and Jepson will take over when Warnock retires. If I’m right it is a long term plan whether people like it or not. It is far better than lurching from one kind of manager to a different kind every time we hit a bad patch as has been pointed out on here by several posters. It provides a long term plan with an identity of how we play. It won’t provide what I call “fannying about football” but it would provide everything else that people have been crying out for since Karanka left.

If this happened I’d probably give up my season card, there’s literally no point anymore.