Jump to content
oneBoro Forum

Next seasons manager....


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Changing Times said:

I think it definitely won't be offered to them.  The actual idea of either of them managing us is ridiculous.  I think only a special sort of mind would even contemplate it 🙂

They will be great managing us in the Premier League next season 😻

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The average life of a Championship manager is measured in months rather than years. I get the desire for a long term plan but we had one supposedly with Woodgate and that didn't last for long and wors

Can't believe you're even moaning about the club in a hypothetical situation where we did get promoted. We're in the Championship, the Europa League is irrelevant to us. The club should plan

Why do youngsters like you and @Brunners have to Americanise everything? Could you not say preparing to play Hurling 🤷‍♂️ @boroie and @Leesider back me up here 😃

I'm pleased Warnock is sticking eound for another year.

I like the players he's brought in -exciting attacking wingers and attacking players. Yes, the football has been poor recently, but we have shown some promise this year - the run when we were scoring 3 or 4 goals a game for examples. 

 

Hopefully he gets his desired striker in the summer and we are a force to be reckoned with next season. The crowds will help as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he's exceeded expectations considering the amount of missed targets he had in the summer and injuries he's had to deal with. We are not far away to be honest we compete well in most games against 'promotion rivals', build our frontline to be more clinical and we could be right up there next season in my opinion.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

I'm sure Wilson meant to say Rounders, but had a slip of the keyboard. 😉

Isn't Hurling (like most Gaelic sports) just one of those things you put on to impress tourists, so they can say, "Look at those Irish and their funny ancient ways"😁😝

Like getting them to kiss the blarney stone and try their hand at riverdancing?

 

The Irish Tourist Board have a lot to answer for! Ive never seen a leprechaun, never wore an arran sweater, never said' Top of the morning' & i dont have a pig in the parlour,Then again if the Americans swollow up that rubbish,all the better.To be fair when i was about 8,i got my mam to cut up a bedsheet and sew it on to a Cork Gaa jersey.Hey Presto- The  White Boro Band- The only Boro shirt in Ireland!!

 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Don't bother with a long term plan because it didn't work out under Woodgate?  We didn't have a long term plan.  Gibson wanted Pulis to stay on, not to appoint Woodgate, then when that didn't happen he settled for Woodgate as the cheapest option.  The rest of it was nonsense to appease fans after appointing someone most of them didn't want.  It was all for show.

You have long term plans precisely because of the financial pressures on football clubs at this level.  It stops you from blowing huge sums of money and then changing tack a few months later.  It stops you from massively increasing your revenue but somehow ending up worse off.  Although weirdly, you actually get credit for 'putting things right'.  The past year is exactly why having some actual plan in place is worthwhile because it allows you to weather storms like that.  It doesn't mean that everything will always go right, it means that when it goes wrong then you can deal with it without it becoming a catastrophe.  A few years ago, this football club was in a very strong position even following relegation, and we have systematically screwed ourselves since then.  

I have no idea what people's personal circumstances have to do with this either?  If you're trying to make a comparison between that and football, then I think you're well wide of the mark.  But, anyway, lots of people do start out with nothing and end up with a lot more, look at Gibson as an example of that.  Do you think he's achieved the things he's achieved in his life without having ambition?  When he started Bulkhaul, do you think he was just hoping to have a couple of trucks or a whole fleet?  Ambition is your aim, a plan is how you get there.  I think Gibson has ambition for Boro but I'm not convinced there's been a serious plan in place beyond him doing whatever he feels like at any given time.

Back to Warnock, there is no future with this appointment, his age ensures that.  But also, from a purely football perspective, Warnock has never kept a side up that he has managed to get promoted, and it's not as if promotion is exactly guaranteed when you look at how many tries he's had at getting promoted from this division in the first place.  So either we go up, come back down, have to change the manager, or we don't go up, and have to change the manager.  We're changing the manager whatever happens but he'll be left with a squad built for one style of play only unfortunately.  The job being passed on to Blackwell or Jepson is utterly ridiculous so I'm not surprised it was Blanco who suggested it.  Blackwell was so in demand before coming here that he was building a kitchen wasn't he?  But yeah, give him the Boro job, why not.  If I didn't know better I'd assume it was a Mackem or Geordie suggesting it rather than someone claiming to be a Boro fan.

Despite all of this, I wish Warnock luck here next season, but I doubt I will be a part of it.  I think I'll be happier not watching Boro games, and I should have already taken that decision this season.  If we win then I'll be happy, if we play as we often do then I'll be less unhappy not having had to watch it.  Hopefully Gibson is now actively looking to sell the club though as I suspect that's what is required now.

As far as planning goes the Golden Thread was going to be how Boro would do things going forwards but the thought, logic and implementation of it was farcical. Gibson may (or may not) have wanted Pulis to stay on but it was impossible for Pulis to stay, there was already a Pulis out banner, social media meltdowns, inflatable dinosaurs and our season card sales were going down faster than Sunderland.

That MFC are not very good at planning and that their Woodgate strategy (like Southgate) was flawed and amateurish beyond belief I think is a given. With a distinct lack of personnel changes in senior roles since at the club since (indeed one less) I doubt a new plan would have much more success. It is possibly better to have a wily astute manager who can source his own players via his own contacts etc. and set up a team to do what he believes will garner a promotion bid rather than try again to implement a new dawning under those given constraints and maybe to his credit SG has accepted that.

The "personal circumstances" I think was pretty clear, people talk about Steve Gibson's lack of it yet you eloquently proved why he has far more of it than anyone on here. If it was that easy we would all be doing it and so would every Club in the country, I struggle why you failed to grasp that but then I have to admit that I struggle generally with a lot of your thought processes. I guess we are just wired differently.

The "future" with any Championship Manager is around twelve months at best (I think the average is actually less) because the demand for instant success doesn't permit for longer. Fans inevitably get restless and want a new one and they want it now, or worse they didn't want him in the first place (Woodgate, Pulis, Monk etc. etc. just with ourselves). A plan with a particular style of football and type of playing personnel etc. is a great ideal and I'm not against it but that brings us back as to who implements the plan and for that and Boro see Woodgate and the Golden Thread.

Steve Gibson has made many mistakes, some absolute howlers and his seemingly narcissistic style of control hasn't ingratiated himself very well with those under 45 years old (let alone those of us older) but if you think he is bad then I guess you didn't live through the Charlie Amer era. As Mogga would likely say "it is what it is".

As fans we have two choices, get behind the team and make the best of it or walk away and watch Champions League on the telly instead of Championship at the Riverside on a cold wet Tuesday which is a typical Boro trait when times get tough. That's not a dig at anyone, I refused to renew my season card after Pulis and the Club hoped that myself and others would renew just on the basis that Pulis had gone, it worked for some but others held their nerve waiting to see who was the successor. When it was Woodgate I walked away for a multitude of reasons and that as much as anything was another reason why the announcement of his appointment was delayed for fear of losing even more Season card renewals. I have no doubt that some may decide to walk away now and if successful many will come back in time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Blanco said:

Yes it’s still a popular sport in West Cork. I’m sure @Leesider could elaborate more being a Cork man

Yeah,it still goes on,massive money changing hands there, Best of luck trying to drive past one on a narrow road,its like they own the rd & you have no business on it whatsoever,

I tried it once and i threw it over a ditch!! Harder than it looks to follow to contours & falls on the rd.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This to me feels very much like the Mowbray era of the type of job he asked to do, get rid of the big wages in players like  Britt for example bring in players who can do the same or better job for less and get competent coaching staff in who know what they are doing. I think personally Gibson trying to replicate the way he got promotion last time by getting someone in to balance the books and then have one big push towards promotion with the next manager. 

 

If i am right, will that work? time will tell. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Warnock clearly rates Tav, he has also brought in Kebano, Bolasie, Watmore and NML.  I know we have had a few hoof ball games of late but I struggle to see how those five players skill sets fit the big Striker to hoof it up to mantra. Without doubt Warnock likes a big Striker but he's not the only Manager to have that preference and his sides have also had other players like Hoilett and NML as recent examples from Cardiff that are more than just the footballing equivalent of Neanderthals. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

As far as planning goes the Golden Thread was going to be how Boro would do things going forwards but the thought, logic and implementation of it was farcical. Gibson may (or may not) have wanted Pulis to stay on but it was impossible for Pulis to stay, there was already a Pulis out banner, social media meltdowns, inflatable dinosaurs and our season card sales were going down faster than Sunderland.

That MFC are not very good at planning and that their Woodgate strategy (like Southgate) was flawed and amateurish beyond belief I think is a given. With a distinct lack of personnel changes in senior roles since at the club since (indeed one less) I doubt a new plan would have much more success. It is possibly better to have a wily astute manager who can source his own players via his own contacts etc. and set up a team to do what he believes will garner a promotion bid rather than try again to implement a new dawning under those given constraints and maybe to his credit SG has accepted that.

The "personal circumstances" I think was pretty clear, people talk about Steve Gibson's lack of it yet you eloquently proved why he has far more of it than anyone on here. If it was that easy we would all be doing it and so would every Club in the country, I struggle why you failed to grasp that but then I have to admit that I struggle generally with a lot of your thought processes. I guess we are just wired differently.

I still don't get.  Lots of people are successful relative to their starting point in life but not everyone wants to be because some people don't have ambition at all.  So the fact that some people aren't trying shouldn't preclude other people from trying, and the same goes for football clubs as well.  If that's what you are suggesting that is?   Ambition and planning aren't one and the same.  You can have ambition but plan poorly and not achieve your aims.  You can make a great plan for one thing but not have one for another and it ends in failure, and it doesn't matter what success you've had in the past.

The Golden Thread thing isn't the only plan we seem to have formed over the last few years but none of them last because ultimately they are all at the whim of one person, and that person does whatever he likes in the end.  So for example, he interferes in transfers and buys a player that he wants.  That isn't part of the plan, and it actually screws with the plan that is in place, but it's still ambitious.  Another example would be Gibson making it clear following relegation that our aim was to go straight back up.  That was his aim or ambition.  He appointed a new manager, sanctioned heavy spending, and then a few months later changed the manager, and suddenly the spending was a mistake, and had to be 'put right', at least according to the new manager.  I don't recall if Gibson had anything to say for himself at the time though?

As I said, I don't see what anyone's personal circumstances have to do with a haphazard approach to running a football club?

But that last bit in bold there, shouldn't be a given, that's my ultimate point, and fans accepting it is a big part of the problem in my opinion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Another example would be Gibson making it clear following relegation that our aim was to go straight back up.  That was his aim or ambition.  He appointed a new manager, sanctioned heavy spending, and then a few months later changed the manager, and suddenly the spending was a mistake, and had to be 'put right', at least according to the new manager.  I don't recall if Gibson had anything to say for himself at the time though?

No, all Gibson got was a pat on the back for putting his money out there to begin with as per usual. We can't complain about the money he spends and how he spends it because he spends it, apparently. Very little has been said about him or by him accepting the responsibility of the decisions he made. Instead he's publicly scapegoated every bugger else in the division for their spending practices and thrown his former manager under the bus for how he operated during that time, don't mind the bloke who gave him the job to begin with.

13 minutes ago, Changing Times said:
1 hour ago, Redcar Rioja said:

That MFC are not very good at planning and that their Woodgate strategy (like Southgate) was flawed and amateurish beyond belief I think is a given.

But that last bit in bold there, shouldn't be a given, that's my ultimate point, and fans accepting it is a big part of the problem in my opinion.

I couldn't agree more with that. Why is it accepted as a given?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I still don't get.  Lots of people are successful relative to their starting point in life but not everyone wants to be because some people don't have ambition at all.  So the fact that some people aren't trying shouldn't preclude other people from trying, and the same goes for football clubs as well.  If that's what you are suggesting that is?   Ambition and planning aren't one and the same.  You can have ambition but plan poorly and not achieve your aims.  You can make a great plan for one thing but not have one for another and it ends in failure, and it doesn't matter what success you've had in the past.

The Golden Thread thing isn't the only plan we seem to have formed over the last few years but none of them last because ultimately they are all at the whim of one person, and that person does whatever he likes in the end.  So for example, he interferes in transfers and buys a player that he wants.  That isn't part of the plan, and it actually screws with the plan that is in place, but it's still ambitious.  Another example would be Gibson making it clear following relegation that our aim was to go straight back up.  That was his aim or ambition.  He appointed a new manager, sanctioned heavy spending, and then a few months later changed the manager, and suddenly the spending was a mistake, and had to be 'put right', at least according to the new manager.  I don't recall if Gibson had anything to say for himself at the time though?

As I said, I don't see what anyone's personal circumstances have to do with a haphazard approach to running a football club?

I seriously wonder if you deliberately use the art of obfuscation to manipulate posts down alleyways to amuse yourself.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I seriously wonder if you deliberately use the art of obfuscation to manipulate posts down alleyways to amuse yourself.

Eh?  Why not just explain your point more clearly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I couldn't agree more with that. Why is it accepted as a given?

It's a given because the bloke who runs the club, owns the club, directs the club and makes all the decisions about the club even down to what can and what cannot be reported about the club. Us the fans can either accept it or not but it will make absolutely no difference to the decisions being made whether we like them or not. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Latest Posts

    • You'd have to kick out Wrexham, Newport and Merthyr too. I doubt they'd want it though, the drop in finances would be absolutely massive. I wouldn't want them to leave either, I like them being in the same league system as English clubs. If I could reform the leagues from scratch, I'd love a full British league, but far too much time has passed and history been created for it to be workable now.
    • I couldn't remember how to spell Stuani's first name, or Braithwaite. Also a couple of others I struggled with. ☹️  
    • But obviously there's nothing preventing a team from another country competing in a league, there are loads of examples of it even outside of the English leagues. Canadian teams play in the American league. Berwick Rangers play in the Scottish leagues. Derry play in the Republic of Ireland's league. Vaduz plays in the Swiss league. Monaco plays in the French league. Andorra's biggest club plays in the Spanish league. Etc etc.  
    • Thats kind of what I was getting at with my last paragraph. It would be a huge upheaval to an existing system...therefore unlikely to happen. You did just given me another thought though. How about we kick Swansea and Cardiff out of the EFL and make them play in the LoW? Then it would be like the SPL with those two clubs always fighting for the silverware. Wonder what their fans would think of that? 😁

×
×
  • Create New...