Jump to content
oneBoro Forum

Next seasons manager....


Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, RiseAgainst said:

I think people are giving Warnock the benefit of the doubt because he's done what no manager has done in the last decade and bring in quality wide options. Even Karanka, our best manager in that period, played Stuani out wide incessantly. Warnock has actually signed several players with genuine attacking promise, suggesting that the current tactic of hoof it to the (not very) big man up front may not be his long-term approach. Let's face it, Cardiff did more than hoof their way to promotion under him.

With some time to bed in, a front four of Kebano, Bolassie, Watmore and Fletcher is mouthwatering, with the likes of NML and Johnson in reserve. The fact Britt and Akpom couldn't hit a cow's *** with a banjo is holding us back, but I don't believe Warnock would have signed the wide creative players he has if his sole tactic in the rest of his time at the Boro is going to involve asking a s**t keeper to hoof it. There has to be more in his long-term plan than that, otherwise he might as well do what Pulis did and play four central defenders and five defensive midfielders.

Surely NW needs the summer to see what sort of tune he can wring from this promising (if currently under-delivering) squad? That's why I and probably others are cautiously optimistic about his contract extension.

i agree we have some decent players in the squad now, but I honestly dont think Warnock got these players in to play a passing game. He's an odds man, long ball hoping for the ball to drop, hes played this way his whole managerial so why would he change now?

IMO  he'll continue with his long ball/play the odds style and the players he are there purely so that when the ball does drop we have better quality players to do something with it when it does. And i dont doubt it will be somewhat effective, it will probably work again as it has done this season we'll do fine and if the ball falls kindly we might even make a playoff push. But i think a manager who plays the modern way will get alot more out of this group and will actually play a style people will pay to see.

Not sure who id pick currently and im happy to wait till the summer, but surely fans cant see a 72 year old Neil Warnock as the future of this club?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The average life of a Championship manager is measured in months rather than years. I get the desire for a long term plan but we had one supposedly with Woodgate and that didn't last for long and wors

Can't believe you're even moaning about the club in a hypothetical situation where we did get promoted. We're in the Championship, the Europa League is irrelevant to us. The club should plan

Why do youngsters like you and @Brunners have to Americanise everything? Could you not say preparing to play Hurling 🤷‍♂️ @boroie and @Leesider back me up here 😃

4 hours ago, tmcc said:

i agree we have some decent players in the squad now, but I honestly dont think Warnock got these players in to play a passing game. He's an odds man, long ball hoping for the ball to drop, hes played this way his whole managerial so why would he change now?

IMO  he'll continue with his long ball/play the odds style and the players he are there purely so that when the ball does drop we have better quality players to do something with it when it does. And i dont doubt it will be somewhat effective, it will probably work again as it has done this season we'll do fine and if the ball falls kindly we might even make a playoff push. But i think a manager who plays the modern way will get alot more out of this group and will actually play a style people will pay to see.

Not sure who id pick currently and im happy to wait till the summer, but surely fans cant see a 72 year old Neil Warnock as the future of this club?

He isn't the future he is the route to the premiership where we can then sustain with the luxury of choosing football philosophy 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Warnock had been hoping to celebrate the new contract he signed this week with a positive result, with Middlesbrough announcing on Thursday that the 72-year-old has agreed to stay on as manager next season.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, DurhamRed said:

He isn't the future he is the route to the premiership where we can then sustain with the luxury of choosing football philosophy 

honestly cant tell if this is satire or not, but anyway ill reply as if its not.  surely there has to be a better option than a man whos going to be gone in 12 months and has retired numerous times already? Also you call him the route to the prem, but what are the realistic outcomes under warnock?

1.) we finish midtable/close to playoffs again and hes gone at the end of the season, leaving the next manager in the exact same position we'll be in at the end of this season. except he'll have a squad built by and for neil warnock.

2.) he does a *** job and we have a poor start and hes gone early into next season leaving us in need of a new manager, another season already wasted and again a manager taking over a side built for neil warnock.

3.) we somehow get promoted, with a manager whos never kept a side in the league. so based on his track record hes most likley out by christmas or will take us down and  retire after the season anyway. Again, leaving us in need of huge rebuild after relegation.

all three senarios leave us no better place than were going to be at the end of this season.

Most annoyingly for me, is the fact that this summer is  the best time to have got a long term solution in as many high earners like britt and co are out of contract and our squad is littered with loan players who will leave. a  This was the perfect oportunity to get long term solution of manager in and give them a chance to build on the stable platform Warnock has built. I see little to now benefit of letting a manager with an old school style rebuild our squad when hes gone in a year to 18 months tops.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, tmcc said:

honestly cant tell if this is satire or not, but anyway ill reply as if its not.  surely there has to be a better option than a man whos going to be gone in 12 months and has retired numerous times already? Also you call him the route to the prem, but what are the realistic outcomes under warnock?

1.) we finish midtable/close to playoffs again and hes gone at the end of the season, leaving the next manager in the exact same position we'll be in at the end of this season. except he'll have a squad built by and for neil warnock.

2.) he does a *** job and we have a poor start and hes gone early into next season leaving us in need of a new manager, another season already wasted and again a manager taking over a side built for neil warnock.

3.) we somehow get promoted, with a manager whos never kept a side in the league. so based on his track record hes most likley out by christmas or will take us down and  retire after the season anyway. Again, leaving us in need of huge rebuild after relegation.

all three senarios leave us no better place than were going to be at the end of this season.

Most annoyingly for me, is the fact that this summer is  the best time to have got a long term solution in as many high earners like britt and co are out of contract and our squad is littered with loan players who will leave. a  This was the perfect oportunity to get long term solution of manager in and give them a chance to build on the stable platform Warnock has built. I see little to now benefit of letting a manager with an old school style rebuild our squad when hes gone in a year to 18 months tops.

 

Option 3 leaves us infinitely better off than we are now?

We could be relegated on 0 points after promotion and we'd still be better off than we are now if we do go up.

There is no such thing as a long term solution manager in this game anymore, with the odd exception.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TeaCider24 said:

Option 3 leaves us infinitely better off than we are now?

We could be relegated on 0 points after promotion and we'd still be better off.

how?, we'd be back in the championship, managerless or under the management of a firefighter type like big sam brought in during the back end of the season trying to save us from relegation. I fail to see how this is infinitely better?

yes we would have some extra money from the prem parachute payments, and some better players signed during out time in the prem. but we it leaves us with a huge rebuild to do,which historically we've been very poor at. 

we'll have players on high wages again and the new man coming in will be under great pressure to get instant promotion or he'll be out the door. and then we just rinse and repeat the last two periods weve had following relegation.

EDIT:

we currently have a fan base with realistic expections, a somewhat finacially stable club, especially in comparrsion to others and great foundation to move forward from.  this is a great time to plan long term not just keep a 12 month solution in charge.

 

Edited by tmcc
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we all agree the playoffs are a pipe dream now over and we can now go about with a more flexible strategy approach. I think it was a period we could have used to find a new manager, clear out more of the back room, look at current players commitment, skill, fitness and look for fresh faces. Possible with guidance from NW. 

I don’t support NW contract extension because I feel we could, should build over the summer with a new manager. Why, because the contracts of a few high earners are up, we need long term commitment from new signings not journey men,  it needs someone younger, experienced with fresh ideas 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tmcc said:

how?, we'd be back in the championship, managerless or under the management of a firefighter type like big sam brought in during the back end of the season trying to save us from relegation. I fail to see how this is infinitely better?

yes we would have some extra money from the prem parachute payments, and some better players signed during out time in the prem. but we it leaves us with a huge rebuild to do,which historically we've been very poor at. 

we'll have players on high wages again and the new man coming in will be under great pressure to get instant promotion or he'll be out the door. and then we just rinse and repeat the last two periods weve had following relegation.

EDIT:

we currently have a fan base with realistic expections, a somewhat finacially stable club, especially in comparrsion to others and great foundation to move forward from.  this is a great time to plan long term not just keep a 12 month solution in charge.

We need a rebuild whatever happens.

If we had to rebuild in 2 years time with a new manager, we'd have more money and a better squad than we would if we had to rebuild this summer.

There'd be just as much pressure on a new manager at the end of this season, given we clearly could have made the play-offs this year with a bit more luck and refereeing competence.

Either Warnock is exceeding expectations with this squad, in which case, why not keep him on, or he's doing worse than expected and surely his replacement should be expected to achieve promotion or the play-offs at a minimum.

You can't have it both ways.

Whoever our next manager is, I don't think he'll be here longer than 2-3 years even if he does well.

Edited by TeaCider24
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

In hindsight warnock again was an incredible easy and safe option for gibson and one he was always going to take. 
I think gibson is poor at finding managers and either deep down he knows this or just plain doesn’t like the process.

Warnock is probably the best option simply because any alternative would most likely have been awful. Think about it, if woodgate was likely the only candidate after pulis then who on earth would we have ended up with if he’d said no?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

There are 170,000,000 reasons why we would be better off

 

and we'd spend about 100 million of that easily on a squad trying to stay in the prem, include wages and theres very little of the money to stay around. 

following relegation we'd be almost no better off and most likely stuck in a position of trying to balance the books to avoid economic hardship like the last two times weve been relegated.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, tmcc said:

and we'd spend about 100 million of that easily on a squad trying to stay in the prem, include wages and theres very little of the money to stay around. 

following relegation we'd be almost no better off and most likely stuck in a position of trying to balance the books to avoid economic hardship like the last two times weve been relegated.

Sorry but how can you argue that having premiership and guaranteed parachute payments wouldn’t be a good thing? We spent awfully after the last promotion and still got it all back through sales. Having that money would be a god send for this club, now more than ever.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

I know everyone's deflated after Saturday, but are people honestly trying to argue we're better off not getting promoted? If they are, they clearly live in a world where finance is irrelevant. And I wish it was irrelevant, but it's the absolute cornerstone of everything that happens in modern football.

Nobody wants us to be relegated from the PL again in the supine, pathetic fashion we were under Agnew. But the £170 million promotion brings could transform this club. And just because it didn't have the desired effect last time (cheers, Garry), I would hope - to use an awful modern cliche - lessons have been learned from the many mistakes of that catastrophic season.

I hate the PL, incidentally. VAR is ruining the spectacle, I'm so bored with the 'fight for Champions League places', and I resent the ridiculous kick-off times. But it's the pinnacle of our sport, it puts towns on the map in ways nothing else can, and one promotion could set MFC up financially to cope with a very difficult few years post-lockdown. If Neil Warnock can get us there (probably next season), let's worry about how we stay there further down the line. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, tmcc said:

and we'd spend about 100 million of that easily on a squad trying to stay in the prem, include wages and theres very little of the money to stay around. 

following relegation we'd be almost no better off and most likely stuck in a position of trying to balance the books to avoid economic hardship like the last two times weve been relegated.

But we don’t have too. I don’t remember Norwich spending a fortune trying to stay up.

We could go up bank and build.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

But we don’t have too. I don’t remember Norwich spending a fortune trying to stay up.

We could go up bank and build.

Yeah but look where they are now. Relegated after one season.... and sat top of the league with a 10 point cushion

 

 what was my point again 🤷‍♂️

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...