oneBoro Forum

Next seasons manager....

4 hours ago, Humpty said:

I really don't want another of the merry-go-round-managers. Unearthing a 'Graham Potter' would be ideal.

Totally agree I just don’t know any names to mention. 

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The average life of a Championship manager is measured in months rather than years. I get the desire for a long term plan but we had one supposedly with Woodgate and that didn't last for long and wors

Can't believe you're even moaning about the club in a hypothetical situation where we did get promoted. We're in the Championship, the Europa League is irrelevant to us. The club should plan

Why do youngsters like you and @Brunners have to Americanise everything? Could you not say preparing to play Hurling 🤷‍♂️ @boroie and @Leesider back me up here 😃

4 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

Seriously, could somebody explain why they'd be happy with David Wagner?

Every complaint laid at Warnock's style of football can be laid at Wagner's but worse.

Promoted scoring 56 goals and conceding 58, they won the play-offs without one of their players scoring, an own goal and 2 penalty shootouts.

The very next season, Warnock got promoted automatically scoring 69 and conceding 39.

He kept Huddersfield up in the first season with a fairly meagre 37 points, which I'll accept is still an achievement, but then stank out the league the next season and he was sacked with them on 11 points after 22 games.

Did a terrible job at Schalke too.

I can understand people who want a new direction and a new manager, though I disagree, but I cannot understand why anyone would want David Wagner.

I was simply listing names of out of work managers that we may look at. If you have better suggestions then put them forward...

4 hours ago, diggerlad07 said:

Marco Silva (Ex Hull, Everton and Benfica) would be my number 1 choice but we all know it won't happen as Gibson won't go foreign management again.

Pearson was my choice in the summer but we all knew Warnock was going to be given an extension.

I wanted the 3year long term plan last summer as it was ideal opportunity because of the out of contract players leaving. Additionally, we all knew this season was going to be a free pass because of the lack of money throughout the league.

We need someone who has experience of the league and is relatively young enough to adapt. 

Howe would be excellent, but no way could we attract someone like him.

Fans need to be realistic and accept we are not the driving force we once were and the job isn't attractive as it was.

I have literally no faith in Gibson making key football decisions for this club anymore, and that's why we keep going round in circles.

I would gladly sacrifice 2 signings to bring Howe in. That’s what Leeds did with Bielsa. Sometimes the manager can get more out of the rest of the squad than two new signings could. 

We always seem to go cheap on the managers and spend big on the signings who ultimately flop anyway.

Why not try a different approach and invest in a manager with a proven track record in the English divisions? He plays good football and develops players which is exactly what we need. 

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

I would gladly sacrifice 2 signings to bring Howe in. That’s what Leeds did with Bielsa. Sometimes the manager can get more out of the rest of the squad than two new signings could. 

We always seem to go cheap on the managers and spend big on the signings who ultimately flop anyway.

Why not try a different approach and invest in a manager with a proven track record in the English divisions? He plays good football and develops players which is exactly what we need. 

Yes this is what I’ve been saying for ages! We always seem happy to splurge millions on average players but the manager we seem to put strict budgets on. I’d bet pulis was our highest paid manager in history.

That season is the perfect example £7m and big wages on players like Fletcher and we get some rookie manager to spend the money. Even then I’d bet gibsons dream scenario would have been keeping Agnew as manager.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Brunners said:

Agreed. I might be making this up but I swear one of the reasons he left burnley was he missed the South. He's not likely to come all the way up here anyway if that's true.

Plus he'll have better opportunities than us.

Just checked this and from his interviews, he left Burnley because his mother died, which he was understandably struggling with, and all of his remaining family were down south, that and he was offered the Bournemouth job again.

Obviously that's not a contradiction of what you've said, but it's more nuanced than just not wanting to work in the North.

That was 8 years ago, and he's obviously not going to get the Bournemouth job back.

But I wouldn't be surprised if he got the Crystal Palace job in the summer.

3 hours ago, JMC91 said:

The suggestion of Blackwell or Jepson being in charge is possibly the bleakest prospect I've ever seen mentioned on here.

Well if we can't get Warnock for some reason, it does make sense to hire a couple of his mates 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ManBearPig said:

Yes some of Howes signings in the Championship were superb, sold Grabban for £3 mill and bought Calum Wilsom for £3mill, Matt Ritchie for half a mill just to name 2. You can only ask the man if he's interested, give him a few of the clubs positives, great scouting  and recruitment team, on 2nd thoughts just stay quiet and ask him if he'd like the job.

4 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I would wager that by now he knows himself that ripping things up and constantly starting all over again is very expensive and hasn't been productive. If he doesn't then we (and he) are pretty much doomed whatever he does.

That's why he should be changing things this summer, when it won't be expensive to rip it up.  You don't then waste money building a team for a manager who isn't going to be here for very long, and is wedded to a particular style of play, that I sincerely hope our next manager isn't.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, BearSmog said:

Has anyone mentioned Eddie Howe? Just wondering..

Howe can you go a page without mentioning Eddie ?

9 hours ago, Humpty said:

I really don't want another of the merry-go-round-managers. Unearthing a 'Graham Potter' would be ideal.

Could go for his successor at Ostersunds Ian Burchnall. The season after Potter left he basically got exactly the same points and position in the league as they did the season before. The 2nd season was marred by off field issues, the chairman getting jail time amongst a lot of uncertainty.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Duvel said:

I think Howe will have Premier league offers when he's ready to make a comeback. 

Taking over from Hodgson. Can't be long before he retires.