• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

K Look, he magicked him out of the water!

Quest will usually side with the ref from what I've seen over the past few years, so the fact they unequivocally didn't in this instance says it all to me.

Posted Images

34 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

I have never seen Archer play .. Is he as bad as some are saying?

His career nosedived with some howlers down at the Den. In fairness he seemed to be doing OK and even became the Millwall Player of the year once but then hit some really bad form, became a liability and was dropped and never really recovered. His positioning became very suspect as well as coordination and flapping. I'm guessing the harder he tried the worse he became.

It's possible that he may rebuild his confidence and now would be a good time to do it without crowds breathing down his neck and without pressure because lets face it the Play Offs are all but gone. We may as well see if there is something still there or if he is still as bad as the end of his time at Millwall. The constant changing of clubs since and his inability to get a regular start at any of them would indicate that he hasn't convinced several other Coaches and Managers. 

Dimi didn't exactly impress when he signed but the rest became history so I guess no harm in giving him a try, if he is worse then it becomes an easy decision in the summer regarding the pair of them.

https://newsatden.co.uk/71877-jordan-archer-leaving-millwall-plus-news-of-other-released-and-retained-list/

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Ah i stand corrected. Bettinelli it is. 

He did get it in the season before, in League One, but he imploded at the end of the Championship play-off push season.

5 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

He did get it in the season before, in League One, but he imploded at the end of the Championship play-off push season.

Probably where my confusion lies as i recall he got praise for one season. Either way he can leave as I feel he is preventing the progress of Brynn by being 2nd or 3rd choice here.

4 hours ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Sorry to be that guy. But Bettinelli before (Picture 1), and as Ayew hits the ball (Picture 2) has both his feet planted and doesn't shift his body at all as if he was going to shape and stop the shot to the far post. He's stood completely rooted to the spot. As the ball passes Spence he is practically in the exact same position (Picture 3). 

By Picture 3 he's in a great position to stop the ball going either to the near post or far post. Instead he reacts way too late and the ball slips past his right foot. Deflection or not from that angle, how close he is to the near post and how he has set himself leading upto that point he should be stopping that shot.

I'd understand, if he'd shifted his feet/body or shaped to dive to his left, that the deflection would have thrown him off. But he's literally stood still. 

But that whole situation could have been avoided if Howson cleared man and ball at the header back in, or Bola got out the way. Or further back when we just let Guehi have a free run to the edge of our box with no-one stepping in until Bolasie has to track back and make the foul.

Picture 1.jpg

Picture 2.jpg

Picture 3.jpg

If you’re a keeper, as soon as you anticipate the shot you shift your weight to begin the attempt to make the save. The deflection significantly shifted the direction of the shot. There’s no blame on Bettinelli for that goal.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Humpty said:

If you’re a keeper, as soon as you anticipate the shot you shift your weight to begin the attempt to make the save. The deflection significantly shifted the direction of the shot. There’s no blame on Bettinelli for that goal.

I get that, I said as much in my post. But from the replays when you watch it back, Bettinelli comes from the middle of the goal across to the near post. Then from the time Ayew is about to hit it and the time it's past Spence Bettinelli doesn't move at all. The only time he moves is when the ball is right by the side of him, by that time it's too late.

I also appreciate that he isn't the sole factor in the goal being conceded, but in my opinion, deflection or not, he should have done better in stopping the shot. Especially given his end position after it's past Spence, his proximity to the near post and the angle Ayew has.

Edited by DanFromDownSouth
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
35 minutes ago, Humpty said:

Those images don't appear to help your argument.

Bettinelli barely moves at all. He maybe shifts his weight slightly, but its not like he prepares to make a full length dive or anything.

He is always covering the near post and appears to keep his eye on the ball the whole time.

In the video replay I saw, Spence's intervention only caused the ball to stay lower than it might otherwise have done. It didn't drastically change the direction of travel. He would have only had to move a foot or so to his right to make a solid block / catch. But instead for some reason he just stuck his leg out.

To be honest I don't even know why anyone is still arguing about this. Its over and done. We're not accomplishing anything. But even taking this game out of the equation, he's still proven himself to be a dodgy keeper over the course of the season.

47 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Bettinelli barely moves at all. He maybe shifts his weight slightly, but its not like he prepares to make a full length dive or anything.

He is always covering the near post and appears to keep his eye on the ball the whole time.

In the video replay I saw, Spence's intervention only caused the ball to stay lower than it might otherwise have done. It didn't drastically change the direction of travel. He would have only had to move a foot or so to his right to make a solid block / catch. But instead for some reason he just stuck his leg out.

To be honest I don't even know why anyone is still arguing about this. Its over and done. We're not accomplishing anything. But even taking this game out of the equation, he's still proven himself to be a dodgy keeper over the course of the season.

I normally like you, but you are clearly drunk on a Sunday 🙃

Play it in real time and see how few mili seconds Bettinelli has, from shot fired to going in next to the foot he has all his weight on

1 hour ago, AnglianRed said:

I can’t believe I’m having to argue this 😂

Just because you don’t see him actually move doesn’t mean his weight hasn’t actually shifted.

Dane makes a good point, there are tenths of seconds involved in this. That has to include both the time to process the save and the time to physically make the move. If you’ve played football at any level, you’ll know how much a defection throws you off be it as a goalkeeper or an outfield player that’s been wrong footed.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Will said:

There isn't a keeper in the world who saves that first goal imo

That's clearly nonsense.

Bettinelli isn't close to the main player at fault for that goal, but plenty would have saved it.

I would fully have expected Randolph to save that, and there are dozens of keepers better than Randolph in England alone right now.

Perfectly fine to rag on Betts for 99% of his game, but that's not his fault. Anyone who has played goalie at all will know how much even a slight deflection can change things and as Humpty says, just because he doesn't visibly move, doesn't mean he hasn't shifted his weight.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Perfectly fine to rag on Betts for 99% of his game, but that's not his fault. Anyone who has played goalie at all will know how much even a slight deflection can change things and as Humpty says, just because he doesn't visibly move, doesn't mean he hasn't shifted his weight.

I was a goalie for 15+ years and I can only say I aggree with all of this.

• Like 1