oneBoro Forum

Swansea vs Boro 2-1 (Morsy)

33 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

If you get into the position Bettinelli is in and try and shift your weight from a neutral position to you left foot. The first thing you'll notice is the body shift towards that side, your knee and shoulders will dip slightly (not a lot but slightly) towards the side you've shifted your weight to.

You see that movement from Bettinelli after the ball is past Spence, not before the ball is hit or the moment it is hit. It is my opinion that Bettinelli gets caught flat footed and reacts too late.

Is he the sole factor in the goal being conceded? No. 

Is it a difficult save to make? Yes.

Should he do better? Yes.

He can't shift his weight for a shot across his body before the ball is hit, because he doesn't know if Ayew is going to intentionally try for front post?

He doesn't have inhuman reaction speeds. He'll have decided it was cross goal probably around the same time it deflects off Spence, hence the movement just after.

This isn't a dig or a "if you don't have experience your opinion doesn't count" type thing, but have you played goalie at any level? Because if you have, you'd know just how difficult a deflection like that is to react to. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

K Look, he magicked him out of the water!

Quest will usually side with the ref from what I've seen over the past few years, so the fact they unequivocally didn't in this instance says it all to me.

Posted Images

Ref actually sat down with Warnock post game.

"For the foul he said he thought their defender got the ball and was fouled by Yannick. When you watch the incident, Yannick gets the ball and the defender falls down, it should have been a penalty or a goal.

"He's totally got it wrong. He said if he's made a mistake he'll hold his hand up so I'll get an apology which won't help me one little bit."

The conversation then turned to the late penalty.

Warnock said: "He points and gives a corner, from somewhere within 15, 20 seconds he changes his mind and gives a penalty.

"He said he gave a corner but then when he stood still and thought about it he didn't think he (Saville) got the ball. I don't understand it.

"In general I think the ref did a lot better in the second half because Ayew was diving all over the place, but it's two major decisions."

10 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Ref actually sat down with Warnock post game.

That ref should have more focus on the ball, cause apparently he has lost his own balls ... 

18 minutes ago, Brunners said:

He can't shift his weight for a shot across his body before the ball is hit, because he doesn't know if Ayew is going to intentionally try for front post?

He doesn't have inhuman reaction speeds. He'll have decided it was cross goal probably around the same time it deflects off Spence, hence the movement just after.

This isn't a dig or a "if you don't have experience your opinion doesn't count" type thing, but have you played goalie at any level? Because if you have, you'd know just how difficult a deflection like that is to react to. 

personally thought the keeper had the shot covered until the deflection

58 minutes ago, northern boro said:

The FA are deciding whether to charge Warnock following his comments made to the ref after the game.

This irks me. The FA get paid lots of money from broadcaster’s for those interviews and players/managers are contractually obligated to give interviews (I’m sure Sir Alex was fined weekly for not speaking to MOTD when he refused to speak to the BBC)  To then say they can’t say what they are feeling is pathetic. 
As a side point it’s easier to silence or fine managers for highlighting incompetence within the FA rather than the FA accepting responsibility themselves

• Like 3

There was talk on BBC Tees this morning of a "go fund me page" being set up for Warnock if he gets fined which would be another humiliation for the FA as no doubt it would be back in the sports news and all over social media. 

Referees are human and they won't get every call correct but the ones that they are getting wrong just from a Boro perspective (and I am sure every other Club will have similar grievances like Stoke and Fulham last week) are horrendous when they are so blatantly obvious. The FA are failing to ensure the standard of Officiating is to an acceptable level. How they do that is up to them, more training, additional linesmen/assistants, a retired Ref sat in the stands observing but mic'd up or whatever it's their choice. The implementation and complete farcical mess of VAR illustrates how incompetent and unfit for purpose they actually are.

The consequences of their ineptitude has resulted in them now victim blaming rather than sorting their own hopeless mess out, trying to shut up the whistle-blowers. I have watched Football for more decades than I care to remember and have been frustrated with Referees and their Assistants regularly, dodgy offsides, free kicks, penalties, off the ball incidents etc. it's a part of the game but I cannot ever in my lifetime remember a season where there were so many miscarriages of justice in games (not just Boro to be clear), not just minor interpretational errors but blatant and blindingly obvious events which took place in full view of the Officials and they still managed to makes a pigs ear of it.

2 hours ago, Brunners said:

It's just the way I see it is all, I have my view on it and you have yours.

I don't claim to be a peace broker but at least my posts have at least has brought a small moment of harmony between yourself, @Will and @Humpty😂 Just need @wilsoncgp on board and it'll be almost as momentous as peace between Palestine and Israel! 😂

I 100% take that as a dig! 😉

I played football as a kid and through my teens, I played right back 9 times out of 10, so normally was on the receiving end of being blamed by the keeper who couldn't defend his near post. But was also the reserve keeper when the actual keeper was injured or AWOL, but that was sporadic, then in my twenties I predominantly play in goal at 5 a-side. Yourself?

Anyway can we get the next match day thread up asap, so we can look forward to blaming Bettinelli in the next game instead! 

40 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

It's just the way I see it is all, I have my view on it and you have yours.

I don't claim to be a peace broker but at least my posts have at least has brought a small moment of harmony between yourself, @Will and @Humpty😂 Just need @wilsoncgp on board and it'll be almost as momentous as peace between Palestine and Israel! 😂

I 100% take that as a dig! 😉

I played football as a kid and through my teens, I played right back 9 times out of 10, so normally was on the receiving end of being blamed by the keeper who couldn't defend his near post. But was also the reserve keeper when the actual keeper was injured or AWOL, but that was sporadic, then in my twenties I predominantly play in goal at 5 a-side. Yourself?

Anyway can we get the next match day thread up asap, so we can look forward to blaming Bettinelli in the next game instead! 

I played in goal all the way up to about u13s and then (despite being told repeatedly I was a great goalie and it was 100% my best position) I was given the option of moving out of goal and I did it. I was then a striker for a couple seasons before eventually settling at RB. I was still backup goalie though and played probably 10ish games a season in goal for one reason or another.

Still wish I'd stayed in goal full time though!

has anyone done a league table flipped with us getting all the correct decisions rather then being on the wrong end of them. there is always a few but seems to have been a right horror show from officials this season.

its almost like the refs are corrupt like the FA and all of them are running betting scams. they even manage to use VAR as a scam tool for their advantage. the shocking decisions on that are just as bad. 

how bad does officiating have to be before we question their integrity?

• Like 1

Talking about that late penalty and apologies if already mentioned but didn't Ayew put the ball into the net exactly the same area as the  previous game?

I know there is a lot of kidology when taking the penna but maybe Bett should simply have told himself to go the same way as the previous one?

Or is Ayew waiting for the keeper to commit before striking the ball?

A few years back there was some research that showed keepers would save more penalties by staying put. 

it however didn’t really take into account whether the penalty taker reacted to the keeper or not.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

A few years back there was some research that showed keepers would save more penalties by staying put. 

it however didn’t really take into account whether the penalty taker reacted to the keeper or not.

As a keeper, it's a massive risk to stay put for a penalty. If you do and the taker just rolls it into either corner you look a right knob. It looks better to commit either way.

When I was a lot younger I saved a penalty once just by assuming the taker would hit it into the top left corner. Usually such penalties aren't savable but the lad tried to loft it in rather than going for power and I just caught it, haha.

• Like 1

I have watched some higlights different angles from the first Swansea goal ..

If the ball doesnt deflect off Spence .. It would be off target across the box

• Wow 1
19 hours ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

It is rather infuriating when the taker just shoots down the middle, while the keeper dives one way or the other.

But penalties are a total lottery. If the taker shoots hard and accurately for the corners, the keeper has very little chance. Anything else and its probably 50/50 (or maybe 33/66 - left/middle/right).

You could argue the takers should have the advantage, given they can stutter their run-ups, but we've also seen players try to be too clever and mess up their shots as a result.