oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

Just now, Snowblind said:

I don't think any of those can be compared to the Ched Evans case to be fair.

All abhorrent, but sexual violence is much worse than failing a drugs test, grabbing a guys nuts, or being a Brexiteer. 

Football is littered with some awful characters, but there has to be a line. For me, Ched Evans is one of those lines.

My point is more the consistency with which we are hiring these kinds of characters. Can add woodgate into that too, though his transgressions were a long time ago and I don't think define him anymore. All of the above have been very recent history. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Snowblind said:

I don't think any of those can be compared to the Ched Evans case to be fair.

All abhorrent, but sexual violence is much worse than failing a drugs test, grabbing a guys nuts, or being a Brexiteer. 

Football is littered with some awful characters, but there has to be a line. For me, Ched Evans is one of those lines.

I totally agree with you, Snowy. I would be absolutely appalled if we signed Ched Evans, if we go down that route we might as well get Jinky Johnson back as well. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Neverbefore said:

My point is more the consistency with which we are hiring these kinds of characters. Can add woodgate into that too, though his transgressions were a long time ago and I don't think define him anymore. All of the above have been very recent history. 

Very true. NML has at least shown some remorse for his actions - and they affect almost solely him. Issues like this are also far more wide spread within football than many people realise, but as always money keeps things quiet.

• Like 1
Just now, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

I totally agree with you, Snowy. I would’ve absolutely appalled if we signed Ched Evans, if we go down that route we might as well get Jinky Johnson back as well. 

Woah there...at least there was irrefutable proof that Johnson had groomed and sexually assaulted his victim.

Ched Evans was found NOT GUILTY after being made to serve half his sentence. 

Don't act like they're comparable.

• Like 2

Even if you were to look past all the baggage (which we absolute shouldn't), he's no better than the strikers currently at the club, his goal scoring record is average at league 1 level and below average at this level and he's older than all of them. Hard pass in every sense of the phrase, not that he'd know what that means.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Woah there...at least there was irrefutable proof that Johnson had groomed and sexually assaulted his victim.

They are totally comparable, Evans raped a girl in a hotel, the fact he was eventually acquitted has more to do with the justice system and the way that victims of rape are treated. Johnson fingered a 15 girl in a supermarket car park with her consent.
Both are very wrong and I wouldn’t want either player at the club I support. 

3 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

As I said before, the courts fail victims of sexual violence on a very regular basis. Despite a leap in women coming forward with cases, charges dropped 23% last year. Prosecutors are often pressurised to drop cases rather than take them to court, and even then for young men of Evans's age at the times, only ⅓ result in conviction by a jury. The Harvey Weinstein cases highlighted the dangerous "real victim" rhetoric - as did the Brock Turner case in the US. 

Johnson's victim was a vulnerable young girl who satutorialy couldn't consent to his advances. In a similar vein, Evan's victim was paralytically drunk and passed out, therefore vulnerable and unable to consent. Both men knew this. Yes, the age of Johnson's victim is important - but the action is the same. A woman being raped at 15 or 95 is still rape.

• Like 2

This is exactly the reason I don't want to sign him.

Arguments starting over just being linked with him, imagine if he actually donned the shirt. There would be absolute pelters from opposition fans too.

• Like 2

More concerned about the quality than anything the more I think about it. 

If this is the calibre of player were looking at, the imagination were going to show, were going to be a longggg way off top 6 next season. 

I hope it's rubbish.

• Like 5
7 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

They are totally comparable, Evans raped a girl in a hotel, the fact he was eventually acquitted has more to do with the justice system and the way that victims of rape are treated. Johnson fingered a 15 girl in a supermarket car park with her consent.
Both are very wrong and I wouldn’t want either player at the club I support. 

For the last time, he wasn't acquitted, he was found NOT GUILTY.

He was wrongfully imprisoned in the first place, do you not think that's an important point to consider? He almost had his football career destroyed because of a LIE.

1 minute ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

He was wrongfully imprisoned in the first place, do you not think that's an important point to consider? He almost had his football career destroyed because of a LIE.

He took advantage of a paralytic woman and had sex with her, is that the type of behaviour you condone?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

That's exactly the sort of mindset and rhetoric which makes women scared to come forward when they've been victims of sexual violence. 

Do some research, man. Stop reading the red tops and actually talk to women who've been victims of similar violence against them. That's 97% of women by the way - who've suffered sexual assault of any kind. 20% of women experience it before they turn 16. Talk to them about their experiences with the police, and if they made it to court, and then tell them to their faces that they're lying, if you can.

• Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""