oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

1 hour ago, Brisbrough said:

Very long time lurker here and first time posting... absolutely not ITK but just heard something today about a new GK. There’s a player identified who NW is in contact with regularly. No idea if it’ll come off but I was told looking very likely from a very close contact of the player who I know well. Good age, lots of potential and Championship experience. 

Christian Walton or Joe Lumley is my guess?

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

18 hours ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

Well, fair play to Warnock. He's taking a very pragmatic view of our situation and saying that what he wants and what he may end up getting could be very different things.

As he says, there is not much money around and lots of competition for the best players, so basically we shouldn't get our hopes up. But if he can't significantly improve strengthen the squad, it won't be for the want of trying.

I think the other main problem is that he, Blackwell & Jepson will be limited, not only by lack of money (and players willing to come to the "grim, frozen North East") but by the style of play they want to employ and the players that will fit the bill.

Which is why I've been saying we shouldn't expect a dramatic improvement next season.

10 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

So you think Warnock is okay with him being like that?

Well he is the same manager who persisted with Bettinelli for most of the season. Also refused to give Coulson or Roberts a run in the side, when plenty were clamouring for it. Most of us have questioned his judgement at various times, including his timing and choice of subs.

Maybe NW just doesn't see anyone better available to him? Also to be fair to him, if Dijksteel is injured there probably isn't anyone better.

Edited by AnglianRed
31 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Well he is the same manager who persisted with Bettinelli for most of the season. Also refused to give Coulson or Roberts a run in the side, when plenty were clamouring for it. Most of us have questioned his judgement at various times, including his timing and choice of subs.

Maybe NW just doesn't see anyone better available to him? Also to be fair to him, if Dijksteel is injured there probably isn't anyone better.

Why do people assume and/or insist that they're speaking on behalf of others? In general, whenever I read a statement like this, it's usually sharing an extreme opinion. 

For the record, I do not share your views. 

12 minutes ago, Mr_Maz said:

Why do people assume and/or insist that they're speaking on behalf of others? In general, whenever I read a statement like this, it's usually sharing an extreme opinion. 

For the record, I do not share your views. 

Fine - change "most" to "many". 🤷‍♂️

If you read any matchday thread, you'll see a fair number of posts doing this. Even in games we've ended up winning.

14 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

He's played 39 times this season mate, he clearly doesn't have a problem with how the lad carries himself. Ability wise might be a different question. 

As I said before, I think he sees through it now. Probably also gave him the benefit of the doubt for a while because of his age. The history of football is plagued with players given a chance who don't repay it or who have played through a lack of preferred alternatives. Just because Warnock played him doesn't mean he's been enamoured with him all along.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember many months ago Warnock being quoted as saying Spence could end up in the PL or in non-league. If that's a manager who is convinced by a players winning attitude then I'm Mrs Doubtfire.

11 minutes ago, 2plus2 said:

As I said before, I think he sees through it now. Probably also gave him the benefit of the doubt for a while because of his age. The history of football is plagued with players given a chance who don't repay it or who have played through a lack of preferred alternatives. Just because Warnock played him doesn't mean he's been enamoured with him all along.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember many months ago Warnock being quoted as saying Spence could end up in the PL or in non-league. If that's a manager who is convinced by a players winning attitude then I'm Mrs Doubtfire.

Well he's alread kicked gestede, Britt, Fletcher, shotton and a couple of others to the curb for not showing the desire to play for the team, so I'd be inclined to say that if Spence showed the disinterest many have accused him of on here, he'd be out on his ear. 

As for lack of alternatives, he could have just picked folarin or any of the other academy lads, they're the same age group after all.

1 hour ago, AnglianRed said:

That's a question of his judgement of quality though. I'm talking about desire and effort. He's shown a zero tolerance policy towards lacking effort over the course of the last 12 months. 

16 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Well he's alread kicked gestede, Britt, Fletcher, shotton and a couple of others to the curb for not showing the desire to play for the team, so I'd be inclined to say that if Spence showed the disinterest many have accused him of on here, he'd be out on his ear. 

As for lack of alternatives, he could have just picked folarin or any of the other academy lads, they're the same age group after all.

Absolutely zero credence to what you just said. All those players kicked out were out of contract. Spence is not and we want a price. Clearly Warnock/Gibson understand the importance of finances and maxing a return, which is why they were so annoyed when Fletcher revealed his injury (whilst we were in the market for a striker). And why most recently Spence has been dropped with a touted 'knock' (perhaps an attempt to disguise the fact he is unwanted), yet still made it to the bench (perhaps a show of "it's nothing serious"). Didn't Warnock even recently sub Spence off before his subsequent rant about players not showing enough that they want to be here?

I honestly think at this point you are just being stubborn. Have you seen some/most of his performances? Someone on here described him as 'lacklustre' - I couldn't agree more, that epitomizes what Warnock does not want to continue to see.

With the benefit of many years of coaching at junior level, I watch Spence and I just want to run onto the pitch, grab him by his shirt and give him a good shake. There is definitely talent there but the lack of concentration is a huge weakness, he just seems to switch off and the game (and opposition players)just passes him by.  Can he be coached into a top rate player, no in my opinion, you either have a football brain or not, and that is what separates the exceptional from the good. Any decent offer, accept it and move on.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, AnglianRed said:

Also refused to give Coulson or Roberts a run in the side,

I remember Coulson getting covid and taking a long-time to return.. then when he did, he gave that really sloppy penalty away and was banished to the bench.

For me, it's not necessarily about ability, but money.

We have two decent right backs already. We don't need 3. Spence will command a decent fee, and if that can be reinvested in the team elsewhere then that is what we should do. 

We don't need 3 right backs, especially when we only have 1 striker!

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, 2plus2 said:

Absolutely zero credence to what you just said. All those players kicked out were out of contract. Spence is not and we want a price. Clearly Warnock/Gibson understand the importance of finances and maxing a return, which is why they were so annoyed when Fletcher revealed his injury (whilst we were in the market for a striker). And why most recently Spence has been dropped with a touted 'knock' (perhaps an attempt to disguise the fact he is unwanted), yet still made it to the bench (perhaps a show of "it's nothing serious"). Didn't Warnock even recently sub Spence off before his subsequent rant about players not showing enough that they want to be here?

I honestly think at this point you are just being stubborn. Have you seen some/most of his performances? Someone on here described him as 'lacklustre' - I couldn't agree more, that epitomizes what Warnock does not want to continue to see.

I'm basing my opinion on having watched 41 games this season, as well as many games last season. I think he's a good young talent and is about the level you'd expect for a player who is 20 years old with lots of talent but holes in his game. 

For what it's worth our scouting staff, our coaching team, woodgate, warnock all definitely agree. If the reports are to be believed ancelotti, Nuno, Gerrard and all of their respective scouting teams do too. So I'm pretty comfortable with my opinion and also fairly convinced that there's going to be a lot of people with egg on their face in 2 or 3 years time when he's actually at a senior level age. 

• Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""