oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

17 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

Haha I actually think Besic is a better version of Morsy. Personally don’t really see what Morsy brings to the team tbh and don’t really get some of the high reviews some fans give him. Saville has had a much better season yet gets so much more abuse which is weird to me All my opinion though.

I don't think Morsy has had a good season either. I don't agree Besic is better than him personally but I don't think it's been very often we've seen high reviews of him from fans, not on here at least? Especially early in his time here, he has had a lot of energy and tenacity to his play but often more to his detriment. He's also played in a more advanced role than I expected him to.

Saville has been a weird one this season. I think he's been almost deceptively tenacious at times in midfield, though less effectively so towards the end. But he has also grabbed some very important goals. He's actually joint top goal contributor with Watmore.

I think he still gets dogs abuse because he spent such a large amount of the time in his first 18 months not really doing anything of note at all, which isn't really fair to judge him on right now. He was quite a significant investment though too, lets not forget. Tony Pulis hyped him up to be a captain of the club to come in the long term too, I always remember that and think eh? How?

But for what good he has done, I don't think he's really ever, at any stage of his Boro career, been undroppable. Some of that is circumstantial as he has often been one of a million central midfielders we have to choose from but I don't think he particularly stands out in the way he plays. I don't know if anybody else feels like this but even acknowledging his goals, and he has scored some good'uns, I almost feel like it's a shock that he's scored them at times. It's been a bit like watching Bettinelli make a good save this season. You have to applaud the execution as it's only fair but there's also a sense of 'where the hell did that come from?'

• Like 1
  • Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Well...if you think making half a dozen appearances before doing his ACL or something and being out for the rest of the season is a good use of our limited resources... 🤷‍♂️

Also, being a level above everyone else isn't automatically a good thing. I could see him making intelligent runs into the box and being angry & frustrated when no-one is pinging crosses in to him.

Just saying...

Higher level players raise the game of those around them. He is by far the best player we have been linked to for the centre forward role. Way better than Collins, Smith or Diedhieu IMO

For what it's worth, according to transfrmarket he's only had one injury this season, missing just one game. Not sure how accurate that is.

However the previous season he had 5 seperate injuries, missing half the season - this not taking into account the time it then takes to get back to match fitness so you'd assume he was available for 25% of that season. It would be a huge risk to sink a decent amount of our limited resources into someone who might not be available for a lot of the season. 

Plus he's a Geordie.

• Like 1

@Neverbefore insofar as his injury record this season is concerned I think that is correct mate. He has been on they bench a lot this season.

If he wants to join us on a basic wage with a appearance added incentive come along.

Albeit depends if he wishes to stay in NE or head back down south where his Mrs is from.

23 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Higher level players raise the game of those around them. He is by far the best player we have been linked to for the centre forward role. Way better than Collins, Smith or Diedhieu IMO

Thats one possibility, for sure. The other is that the rest of the team could drag him down to their level. 

I'm not denying his quality...just questioning his ability to fit in with our other players and adapt to life in the Championship.

29 minutes ago, Blanco said:

That's not hard. We've just let two strikers leave on a free who are better than those linked so far.

We are so unimaginative in the transfer market. It's quite depressing really.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Humpty said:

I think there’s a little bit of revisionism going on with Bettinelli. Don’t get me wrong he had a very poor 2nd half of the season but the first half of the season he was more than competent for this level. 

The thing with the internet is that there’s more information out there so there rightly should be more discussion and deeper scrutiny. Pears was a fantastic shot stopper and “the Internet” would’ve highlighted that too.

i'll do a pears vs betti in common for us all to enjoy.

they both conceded direct from a corner.

pears managed in against portsmouth a young man called Darren (sicknote) Anderton at ayresome park. i was there. tbf he wasn't half whipping them that night nearly scored from every corner he took lol. everyone was fuming with the defense but sicknote was clearly the best player on the pitch by a country mile.

belli did is in a game against some crappy team cant even remember from an average no mark champo player from a straight forward punt into the box. 

betti supposed to be good at coming from crosses. i will bet any of the guys now that lumly will not condede direct from a corner in his whole time at the boro.

1 hour ago, TeaCider24 said:

I've been one of the biggest critics of Bettinelli over the season, I think he's been largely awful throughout.

But I know for a fact that there are posts on here where I've praised him for having a surprisingly good game or for not making mistakes for a while.

There was a period of 3 or 4 games in the second half of the season where he wasn't at fault for anything.

It doesn't change the fact he's been terrible, I'd actually say it highlights just how poor he's been that I've felt the need to mention that he's not made a mistake or that he's came off his line well.

All I’m getting from that Teacider24 is don’t believe a thing you write 😉

10 minutes ago, Dynamo Kev said:

i'll do a pears vs betti in common for us all to enjoy.

they both conceded direct from a corner.

pears managed in against portsmouth a young man called Darren (sicknote) Anderton at ayresome park. i was there. tbf he wasn't half whipping them that night nearly scored from every corner he took lol. everyone was fuming with the defense but sicknote was clearly the best player on the pitch by a country mile.

belli did is in a game against some crappy team cant even remember from an average no mark champo player from a straight forward punt into the box. 

betti supposed to be good at coming from crosses. i will bet any of the guys now that lumly will not condede direct from a corner in his whole time at the boro.

For balance, I saw Randolph concede direct from a corner last night 😃

8 minutes ago, Humpty said:

For balance, I saw Randolph concede direct from a corner last night 😃

No you didn’t. It was a flicked header right in front of him

Just now, Blanco said:

No you didn’t. It was a flicked header right in front of him

He was defo saving that before his own team mates header took it away from his grasp.

Pulled off a great one handed save few moments later from despite that short taking a deflection. Lads still got his reflexes.

1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

I don't think Morsy has had a good season either. I don't agree Besic is better than him personally but I don't think it's been very often we've seen high reviews of him from fans, not on here at least? Especially early in his time here, he has had a lot of energy and tenacity to his play but often more to his detriment. He's also played in a more advanced role than I expected him to.

Saville has been a weird one this season. I think he's been almost deceptively tenacious at times in midfield, though less effectively so towards the end. But he has also grabbed some very important goals. He's actually joint top goal contributor with Watmore.

I think he still gets dogs abuse because he spent such a large amount of the time in his first 18 months not really doing anything of note at all, which isn't really fair to judge him on right now. He was quite a significant investment though too, lets not forget. Tony Pulis hyped him up to be a captain of the club to come in the long term too, I always remember that and think eh? How?

But for what good he has done, I don't think he's really ever, at any stage of his Boro career, been undroppable. Some of that is circumstantial as he has often been one of a million central midfielders we have to choose from but I don't think he particularly stands out in the way he plays. I don't know if anybody else feels like this but even acknowledging his goals, and he has scored some good'uns, I almost feel like it's a shock that he's scored them at times. It's been a bit like watching Bettinelli make a good save this season. You have to applaud the execution as it's only fair but there's also a sense of 'where the hell did that come from?'

All fair points mate. If we look at value for money then Morsy is always going to be better then Saville in that respect. Morsy tbh has probably been a good signing just because of how cheap he was (free?). The cost of Saville isn’t his fault so still feel the abuse he gets is unwarranted most of the time. 

On your last point, he’s definitely not a player that’s easy on the eye, but he does his job and imo does a lot of the dirty work that isn’t pretty. Like you said, he’s actually got a good return of 6 goals and 4 assists this season, and even then that should be minimum 10 goals with some of the chances he’s missed! I think he’s got a great knack of getting into the box at the right time and timing his runs. It’s something we’ve been crying after for ages at boro, a midfielder willing to get into the box. Having him and Tav ahead of a holding midfielder will mean we have two genuine goal threats for midfield, and I’d definitely have them two starting next year as it stands. 

What are everyone’s thoughts on Howson? I’m not sure tbh. 

21 minutes ago, Humpty said:

All I’m getting from that Teacider24 is don’t believe a thing you write 😉

All I'm getting is that you're daft enough to think a player can't be poor if he has a good game.

5 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

What are everyone’s thoughts on Howson? I’m not sure tbh. 

I seem to remember someone describing him when he signed for us as a steady 7/10 player. He'll rarely be MotM, but he puts in a shift when not carrying an injury and he can be a useful component of the team. 

Howson reminds me of Adam Clayton - okay in isolation, but he needs a vocal partner, which Howson hasn't really had. Leadbitter made Clayton look better than he probably was, and I don't think it's a coincidence they both did their best work side-by-side.

I wouldn't be sad if Howson left, but - in common with many recent signings - I don't think we've really played to his strengths.

• Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""