oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

11 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

The Gazette are reporting we're moving for Michael Smith of Rotherham.

Wouldn't be the worst back up, but that's an awful choice if it's to be our main striker.

Low scoring everywhere he's been.

Scoring 10 goals for a struggling relegated team is more than our far more esteemed strikers managed. Playing for a better team he could or should add another 4 or 5 goals to those 10 or maybe even a few more if they have a decent run. It's a far better gamble than spending millions on misfiring duds. If he doesn't work out at least it won't have a long term crippling effect financially.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Scoring 10 goals for a struggling relegated team is more than our far more esteemed strikers managed. Playing for a better team he could or should add another 4 or 5 goals to those 10 or maybe even a few more if they have a decent run. It's a far better gamble than spending millions on misfiring duds. If he doesn't work out at least it won't have a long term crippling effect financially.

This season's return is fine, but he's struggled to break double figures in League One and League Two repeatedly.

Though that seems to be partly down to a lot of half season loans at a glance.

21 hours ago, Barnaby said:

No I had Wing on the back of mine as it was £8.00 cheaper than Assombalonga An if Job was still playing for us it would have been Job 

I did think of shortening it to Ass...as I was ex Navy thought better of it 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
56 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

The Gazette are reporting we're moving for Michael Smith of Rotherham.

Wouldn't be the worst back up, but that's an awful choice if it's to be our main striker.

Low scoring everywhere he's been.

it looks like warnock wants three strikers so id assume he would be an impact player , a pretty decent cheap option wages wise and transfer fee shouldnt be more than 500-700k as hes 30 and last year of his contract . I say go for it , would help with our set pieces . Him and grant hall would get a few over the season 

1 hour ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Fletcher to Watford just proves how little *** loyalty there is left in football. What a ***, I hope he fails spectacularly.

Don't worry, he will. He is just about mid-table championship standard. No way he will get much chance in the Prem. He will be on of those players forever loaned out again and again. I reckon Watford will be thinkin that they are signing him without a fee, will be loaning him out to the championship from january, hope he does OK and sell him for a fee.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Barnaby said:

I did think of shortening it to Ass...as I was ex Navy thought better of it 

I got this Blokes full name on the back of mine. Not linked to Boro but thought it would future proof my shirt and save me money in the long term.

Screenshot_20210411-204136_Google.jpg

• Haha 1
11 hours ago, SmogDane said:

image.thumb.png.0423ebd6a34830d61c7e8706c0456c05.png

Hey if we could get Gareth Bale when his RM contract runs out, to provide service to him, I'd make those 8-hour round trips to the Riverside every weekend.

7 minutes ago, Ruathain said:

I got this Blokes full name on the back of mine. Not linked to Boro but thought it would future proof my shirt and save me money in the long term.

Screenshot_20210411-204136_Google.jpg

I notice Charles isn't among his many, many, MANY names...so where the hell did Charlie come from?

• Like 1

Question - does anyone genuinely think we have a real shot at promotion with the players we are being linked with right now? Not one player we've been linked to do far would make it into one of the top 6 sides this season. Maybe their squad but no where near their first 11. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I'm shocked Watford have gone for Fletcher but fair play to him for joining them especially the length of the contract if true. He is in danger of becoming another Gestede in terms of fitness so not being expected to play but on Premiership wages should be a good fit. Fair play to him, most of us would have done the same in our careers.

Me too. He's no better than what they already have. You would think they would be trying to upgrade their firepower to give them a chance of staying up. I'm really baffled that they went for someone like Fletcher.

As you say, he's only costing them wages, so if it doesn't work out, they can farm him out on loan.

1 minute ago, Neverbefore said:

Question - does anyone genuinely think we have a real shot at promotion with the players we are being linked with right now? Not one player we've been linked to do far would make it into one of the top 6 sides this season. Maybe their squad but no where near their first 11. 

I think Andy Carroll would be a starter in any championship team but none of the other linked players so far would 

1 minute ago, Neverbefore said:

No. I'd give us a fluke 5% chance unless something dramatic happens over the summer. I think we will drop a few places in the table. But I suppose teams have shithoused their way to promotion before.

6 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Looking at the players we're targeting, we're not building for a promotion push next season...just trying to improve slightly on this season. No matter what the club says to the contrary.

Which as I've said before makes perfect sense. The club is in a financially precarious state, with a manager who will (hopefully) be gone after next season. With that in mind, it makes no sense to spend significant money on players who may not be wanted a season from now.

3 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Looking at the players we're targeting, we're not building for a promotion push next season...just trying to improve slightly on this season. No matter what the club says to the contrary.

Which as I've said before makes perfect sense. The club is in a financially precarious state, with a manager who will (hopefully) be gone after next season. With that in mind, it makes no sense to spend significant money on players who may not be wanted a season from now.

I agree with this part in particular. So the follow up question would be... What is the point of Neil Warnock being here? Putting aside all my obvious misgivings about him, last season sort of made sense because we were fairly close to being relegated and he kept us up. With covid and uncertainty all round in the sport, I can see the logic behind giving the ship to a steady hand even if I disagreed with who we chose to be the steady hand. 

But as fans return and football starts to get back to some normality, if we're not going to go for promotion this season under a man who only has another year left in him, I ask again, what is the point?

• Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""