oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

9 minutes ago, Oldham boro said:

Does anybody else think that the only reason the club haven't issued a retained list is because they are waiting to see if the soon to be out of contract players will re sign with us??. 

Recon there’s only Bolasie he will be trying to sign? NML maybe but haven’t seen enough of him to judge but Warnock obviously has before 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

I don't think many people legitimately suggested we need an actual new left-back or centre-back, someone made a comment about a Sunderland player coming in as cover for Bola and it turned into a conversation stating a generalisation that you should always look to buy better than what you have when you purchase a new player, that buying cover is going backwards. It's an unrealistic perspective, context of resources and the current squad quality across all the positions will help to determine whether buying a player as cover is a good thing to do, it isn't an outright negative thing which is what that generalisation paints a picture of. Sometimes cover is only the short-term expectation of a transfer too.

But to put it into an extreme, lets say you have a squad of 11 players. Half of them are good players at this level, half of them are clearly points where we can improve. But you still only have a squad of 11 players and need to essentially double that. There are sacrifices to be made there. You want to improve your strongest 11 as a priority, so you'll dedicate the majority of your work to improving on the 5-6 who aren't that good at this level. But that's also likely going to take the majority of your resources financially to do. The other 5-6 players who are good still need alternatives in case of injuries. It's not always going to be the case of needing one extra for every position but if you have a good player who you can't buy better than, with no adequate youngsters ready to step up, I'd want to have the option of keeping the system the same and not be forced into changing it to accommodate the fit players.

Taking our situation into account with those two mentioned positions, I've said myself, I'd have Coulson in there as back-up to Bola right now. I still think he's good enough to challenge Bola for that spot, at least when Warnock buggers off and stops seeing him as every bloody thing other than the role he earned his contract with. I'd also 100% have Wood for back-up to Fry, Hall and McNair, I don't even agree with most that he had an awful time of it when he was in the team, I thought he did as well as you'd expect, perhaps even more. So sod bringing in a new left-back or centre-back as far as I'm concerned as it stands, I'd keep both of them here and those positions would be sorted.

I don't know if I've mentioned it before but this conversation does make me think of how some have perhaps framed signing Wyke or Smith as a back-up, with the squad as it is right now. That's not good because we currently only have one striker who they could possibly be back-up to and he's apparently not good enough. I know the intention is to say they will be back-up to another striker we inevitably bring in but right now I wouldn't expect much beyond Smith being back-up to Wyke or the other way around. I'd rather we spent our time and money bringing the first choice in than the cover; my worry is that is exactly what we are already doing with Wyke/Smith.

• Like 4
38 minutes ago, Oldham boro said:

Does anybody else think that the only reason the club haven't issued a retained list is because they are waiting to see if the soon to be out of contract players will re sign with us??. 

Retained lists I've seen from other clubs show contracts offered to certain players whether they've accepted them or not so I think it only needs to show the intention. I've no idea why we haven't released it either.

The only things I can think is either we're pushing it to the bottom of our to-do list or we've not actually decided whether we're offering certain players a new deal yet. Maybe Warnock wanted to put his feelers out there to see if he can nab a freebie who improves on those players who are out-of-contract here and if he can't, he'll offer Johnson, NML etc. a new deal. Either way it's odd because I'm sure he said he was telling the press the Wednesday after the last game.

47 minutes ago, Oldham boro said:

Maybe it's because the manager is going to appear on the list as well 🙏

• Haha 1
36 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Possibly a stupid question but is there a set date that it has to be released by?

Does it actually have to be released?

We had to submit it to the FA by the 15th of May, but I'm not sure if there's an obligation to release one to the public?

Either way, I feel like they might just be waiting until the contracts actually end or more likely for when Warnock gets back to Teesside.

Edited by TeaCider24
22 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Possibly a stupid question but is there a set date that it has to be released by?

Not really I think it’s a courtesy to realise them.

Registrations expire end of June regardless for out of contract players.

35 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

We had to submit it to the FA by the 15th of May, but I'm not sure if there's an obligation to release one to the public?

Either way, I feel like they might just be waiting until the contracts actually end or more likely for when Warnock gets back to Teesside.

Must be.

1 hour ago, TeaCider24 said:

Another thought that crossed my mind is that they have all agreed to stay but on reduced terms.

I seem to recall at the back of my mind that Arca and Hoyte had to be ‘released’ before they could resign with reduced terms.

1 hour ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

Another thought that crossed my mind is that they have all agreed to stay but on reduced terms.

I seem to recall at the back of my mind that Arca and Hoyte had to be ‘released’ before they could resign with reduced terms.

Think that was a thing, in terms of not being able to offer reduced terms whilst the contract was running. But that has changed now, I'm sure we had the same discussion when Howson signed his deal! 😂

35 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Think that was a thing, in terms of not being able to offer reduced terms whilst the contract was running. But that has changed now, I'm sure we had the same discussion when Howson signed his deal! 😂

Did we. Sorry I forgot. That’s won’t be the reason then if it’s not a thing. Probably just Orta being *** at his job 

54 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

Did we. Sorry I forgot. That’s won’t be the reason then if it’s not a thing. Probably just Orta being *** at his job 

To be fair it may not have been you at all! 😂

I think it's likely we are maybe seeing if any of the free agents are signing before making a decision on our out of contract lot.

• Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""