oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

So as I understand NW plan we should expect 8 to 9 new players during the transfer window and I believe he claims in interviews with the press, will give us realistic chance of challenging for promotion. I also understand by what he claims these players are known as one he wanted signed for Cardiff unfortunately. Very bold optimistic statements but there again there is a lot of season tickets to sell.  

NW give himself a grade B for last seasons effort, bold and I don’t disagree with the assessment simply because I expected mid table or above should he have got the signings he wanted, he did but in reality he lost great deal of points to bottom clubs, conceded far to many self inflicted goals and had a great deal of international breaks. 

So any which way you put it we will be starting again, with new faces, on a learning curve so can we realistically expect to be challenging promotion? 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

@Changing Times.  Sorry for late reply.

I keep saying up to 10 goals for Wyke or Smith as I hope if they come then they come as the 2nd striker as opposed to the main striker.  I think about 7-10 from the 2nd striker is a reasonable expectation. 

I am going of the theory if the 1st striker can get 15 odd goals then hopefully the 2nd striker can add up to 10

Hopefully if your strikers can manage that and you got a half decent defence you can get in to play offs.

8 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

So as I understand NW plan we should expect 8 to 9 new players during the transfer window and I believe he claims in interviews with the press, will give us realistic chance of challenging for promotion. I also understand by what he claims these players are known as one he wanted signed for Cardiff unfortunately. Very bold optimistic statements but there again there is a lot of season tickets to sell.  

NW give himself a grade B for last seasons effort, bold and I don’t disagree with the assessment simply because I expected mid table or above should he have got the signings he wanted, he did but in reality he lost great deal of points to bottom clubs, conceded far to many self inflicted goals and had a great deal of international breaks. 

So any which way you put it we will be starting again, with new faces, on a learning curve so can we realistically expect to be challenging promotion? 

You typically need about 75 points to get in the play-offs, we got 64 this season despite a notable slump and a number of defeats to bottom half teams in the second half of the season.

A few decent signings and a bit more luck with injuries and I genuinely don’t think 11 points is that much ground to make up.

There are plenty of seasons where 70 points has been enough to make the play-offs, that's just turning two of our defeats in to wins.

I'm not saying we will make the play-offs, but I don't think it's that much of a gap to bridge, though obviously we could just as possibly struggle even more next season.

6 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

You typically need about 75 points to get in the play-offs, we got 64 this season despite a notable slump and a number of defeats to bottom half teams in the second half of the season.

A few decent signings and a bit more luck with injuries and I genuinely don’t think 11 points is that much ground to make up.

There are plenty of seasons where 70 points has been enough to make the play-offs, that's just turning two of our defeats in to wins.

I'm not saying we will make the play-offs, but I don't think it's that much of a gap to bridge, though obviously we could just as possibly struggle even more next season.

It could go either way, but I'd argue that there are more factors going against us than for us here. 

For us, you have to say we have a manager that has done it before. I don't agree with his methods and I don't think they fit in with modern football, but it's irrefutable that he's managed it before. We also have some very good players at this level. Not many, but some. Tav and fry would get into any team in the league, hall, Bola dijksteel, McNair would get into a lot of them on last season's form. 

The major problem were going to have is the fact that we are potentially going to need to sign an entirely new attacking unit. Assuming bolasie, nml, Johnson don't sign new contracts and akpom gets bombed out, we will need 4 wingers (unless he sees coulson and Spence as two of these, which lets face it would not bode well) and 3 strikers.  Tav is better at the point of a midfield 3 in my opinion, and I actually think that warnock shares that view. 

So the issue here is not just getting 7 players that are good enough at this level, it's getting players who will gel and function as a unit. Who can do the job Warnock asks of them in a consistently effective manner. How likely is that to happen right away? Any team needs time to click. And by the time it does, momentum and confidence could well be low and potentially unrecoverable.  

As things stand, and knowing that we will sign players, I would happily put money on us finishing on less points next season than we did this season. It's a transition year no matter what way the club and it's mouthpiece in the media tries to sell it. Which is why I'm so down on the idea of putting a short term manager in charge of it. 

Anyone looking to fill 5 minutes, EFL stats on Twitter are picking a team of the season, going through the stats of players in each position. So far covered keepers, turns out Bettinelli isn’t the worst keeper in the league... but he’s pretty close!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Neverbefore said:

It could go either way, but I'd argue that there are more factors going against us than for us here. 

For us, you have to say we have a manager that has done it before. I don't agree with his methods and I don't think they fit in with modern football, but it's irrefutable that he's managed it before. We also have some very good players at this level. Not many, but some. Tav and fry would get into any team in the league, hall, Bola dijksteel, McNair would get into a lot of them on last season's form. 

The major problem were going to have is the fact that we are potentially going to need to sign an entirely new attacking unit. Assuming bolasie, nml, Johnson don't sign new contracts and akpom gets bombed out, we will need 4 wingers (unless he sees coulson and Spence as two of these, which lets face it would not bode well) and 3 strikers.  Tav is better at the point of a midfield 3 in my opinion, and I actually think that warnock shares that view. 

So the issue here is not just getting 7 players that are good enough at this level, it's getting players who will gel and function as a unit. Who can do the job Warnock asks of them in a consistently effective manner. How likely is that to happen right away? Any team needs time to click. And by the time it does, momentum and confidence could well be low and potentially unrecoverable.  

As things stand, and knowing that we will sign players, I would happily put money on us finishing on less points next season than we did this season. It's a transition year no matter what way the club and it's mouthpiece in the media tries to sell it. Which is why I'm so down on the idea of putting a short term manager in charge of it. 

To play devils advocate, Watmore and Tav would probably be a part of that attacking set up. So it’ll probably be two more outside forwards/wingers and 2-3 strikers.... It’s still not ideal.

15 minutes ago, Humpty said:

To play devils advocate, Watmore and Tav would probably be a part of that attacking set up. So it’ll probably be two more outside forwards/wingers and 2-3 strikers.... It’s still not ideal.

Like I say, I think (and hope) Tav ends up in the midfield behind the attacking unit. I forgot about watmore tbf, but he hasn't really found his best position yet for us imo, which is a problem. Not his fault - he was shifted around a lot, particularly at the end of the season when Warnock decided he didn't have any strikers.

7 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

If you read back to my posts like season I stated signings in the second window are more likely to be disruptive and I believe that’s what happened. I feel the impact of bringing in so many individuals is going to have the same effect because for a while it will disrupt balance. Players need a great deal of time working together before they read and understand there partners and trust is established. Now this may be preference of a early ball, coming on or to the feet , a early run or turning inside but it’s instinct. Opposition read the game and it’s the element of surprise that gains the advantage, unpredictable, speed, the ability to lose markers.  

Ben Davies would be a good signing to cover two positions, and I'm sure Liverpool will be looking to let him go as he's never made a single appearance since they signed him.

7 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Ben Davies would be a good signing to cover two positions, and I'm sure Liverpool will be looking to let him go as he's never made a single appearance since they signed him.

Davies is a very good player, I'd love him here.

Unfortunately if you believe The Athletic (who tend to be well connected), they reckon he's in line to get more game time next season. I also think pre-covid Preston were wanting £10m + for him. Obviously in the end Liverpool ended up paying £2m* due to his contract expiring, so think we could be priced out of any deal.

*Most of it clauses.

1 minute ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Davies is a very good player, I'd love him here.

Unfortunately if you believe The Athletic (who tend to be well connected), they reckon he's in line to get more game time next season. I also think pre-covid Preston were wanting £10m + for him. Obviously in the end Liverpool ended up paying £2m* due to his contract expiring, so think we could be priced out of any deal.

*Most of it clauses.

Yeah, we'll probably be unable to match any offers for him right now anyway.

Not sure I do believe the Athletic as they're signing yet another centre back this summer and Van Dijk and Gomez will surely be fit again in the next few months.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Borolad1876 said:

Several championship clubs tracking Dundee United player louis appere I wonder if we are in the hunt. 

Never heard of him 

googled him, 22yrs old,mainly right sided forward/winger

scored 1 and assisted 1 in around 20 league games last season

9 hours ago, Bennyboy137 said:

Anyone looking to fill 5 minutes, EFL stats on Twitter are picking a team of the season, going through the stats of players in each position. So far covered keepers, turns out Bettinelli isn’t the worst keeper in the league... but he’s pretty close!

Jesus Christ, that made for some depressing reading...

• Like 1
  • Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""