oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

nothing like a bit of optimism is there'll.id prefer to wait and see who comes in ,we've only offloaded the ones that needed to go in my opinion..so we've made a good start, the goalie is an improvement for a start

• Like 1
  • Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

15 hours ago, Changing Times said:

It's basically the squad that just finished 10th in the league.  Hardly frightening?

Yea don’t think it’s too bad as a starting point before the windows really open?!

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Well all the evidence points to us having a poor transfer window.

Most, if not all clubs are in a financial hole, but Boro also have to contend with having a short-term manager in charge, who appears to be looking for very specific types of players to fit with his preferred style of play. 

Well I would certainly rather he signed players to fit his style than not.

If that means we have to put up with signing people like Bolasie, Kebano, NML and Watmore I can live with that.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, boronutter said:

nothing like a bit of optimism is there'll.id prefer to wait and see who comes in ,we've only offloaded the ones that needed to go in my opinion..so we've made a good start, the goalie is an improvement for a start

But regardless of what business Boro do and who we bring in (even if they are improvements), you also have to factor in the clubs that finished above us...the ones that didn't get promoted...plus the 3 relegated from the PL.

Do you really think Boro are going to have a stronger squad than those teams? Its not like we just missed out on the play-offs...we were a fair way adrift.

Edited by AnglianRed
  • Like 2
8 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

Well I would certainly rather he signed players to fit his style than not.

If that means we have to put up with signing people like Bolasie, Kebano, NML and Watmore I can live with that.

What I meant by that is Boro will be competing for a relatively small pool of players, which decreases our odds of signing better ones than we already have.

Again, if Warnock does manage to pull it off - brilliant. I sincerely hope he does. I just think if you were a bookmaker you wouldn't give us great odds.

1 hour ago, AnglianRed said:

What I meant by that is Boro will be competing for a relatively small pool of players, which decreases our odds of signing better ones than we already have.

Again, if Warnock does manage to pull it off - brilliant. I sincerely hope he does. I just think if you were a bookmaker you wouldn't give us great odds.

I think this is a very unique transfer market.
Lots of freebies, not much money around anywhere and a big uncertainty over contracts.  

It could either go in our favour or scupper us completely.

• Like 1

I agree with both AR and GB, and another worrying aspect is that it hands a huge advantage to the three sides coming down from the Prem as they will have their squads largely in place already and loads of cash to strengthen where necessary. Basically the Championship has become an unfair competition and my money to Skybet will go on all three relegated clubs going back up again next season. You have to be pretty useless to not use the parachute payments successfully, like errhh, let me think, Gary Monk springs to mind!

2 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

Most, if not all clubs are in a financial hole, but Boro also have to contend with having a short-term manager in charge, who appears to be looking for very specific types of players to fit with his preferred style of play. That alone limits the number of players who will want to sign.

Then there's the old chestnut of Boro being "a small town in the North East" and a not particularly attractive / fashionable place to live.

Then there are all the highly rated players we are linked with, who end up signing for other clubs.

Doesn't exactly fill one with confidence.

Last but not least, last season showed why we have very good reason NOT to rate half our players.

I reckon we have about half a decent squad, but given all the players that have left, I simply don't see us being able to replace them with equal or better quality.

I don't get why some people on here think we will magically be transformed into a promotion-chasing club next season, given we will be operating under essentially the same conditions, with a similar, or weaker squad.

But, as I've said before, its early days and I will be more than happy to be proven wrong...

I agree with what you have wrote. I think a lot of our fans are still living in the robbo era. We simply can not afford big name signings like ravanelli, juninho ect. But I would like us to take a chance on some  league one players who would probably work their socks off for any championship club who signed them. Unfortunately we are along way away from the good old days. But hopefully not too far away. LETS GET BEHIND THE CLUB WHEN THE SEASON STARTS UTB.

• Like 5

Do I have complete faith in us bringing in the right players? Not really. I cite Akpom being the main reason and also Warnock’s definition of a striker and the role he expects from them. I would be happy to see a couple of one dimensional strikers brought in - whose main attribute was sticking the ball in the net. Presently, and has been the case, we don’t have any strikers who can put the fear of God into any defence. It is all too easy for them.

Whilst it is true there’s some decent free transfers kicking about, I don’t know if we have the ability to sell the club and it’s perceived ambition. I guess the next few weeks will either add testimony to this view or not.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, boronutter said:

The reason there's a lack of optimism is our dealings in the transfer market over the last few years has been abysmal, and many of us can't see that changing given our recruitment team. You could employ half a dozen off this forum and I fail to see how they could fair any worse., our scouting and recruitment is rubbish. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Rioch's Braves said:

The reason there's a lack of optimism is our dealings in the transfer market over the last few years has been abysmal, and many of us can't see that changing given our recruitment team. You could employ half a dozen off this forum and I fail to see how they could fair any worse., our scouting and recruitment is rubbish. 

Plus we're a town club nowhere near the Capital

5 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

Most, if not all clubs are in a financial hole, but Boro also have to contend with having a short-term manager in charge, who appears to be looking for very specific types of players to fit with his preferred style of play. That alone limits the number of players who will want to sign.

Then there's the old chestnut of Boro being "a small town in the North East" and a not particularly attractive / fashionable place to live.

Then there are all the highly rated players we are linked with, who end up signing for other clubs.

Doesn't exactly fill one with confidence.

Last but not least, last season showed why we have very good reason NOT to rate half our players.

I reckon we have about half a decent squad, but given all the players that have left, I simply don't see us being able to replace them with equal or better quality.

I don't get why some people on here think we will magically be transformed into a promotion-chasing club next season, given we will be operating under essentially the same conditions, with a similar, or weaker squad.

But, as I've said before, its early days and I will be more than happy to be proven wrong...

I would be happy with 11 prepared to shed blood for the cause....Maybe some of our youngsters will step up

4 hours ago, Oldham boro said:

I agree with what you have wrote. I think a lot of our fans are still living in the robbo era. We simply can not afford big name signings like ravanelli, juninho ect. But I would like us to take a chance on some  league one players who would probably work their socks off for any championship club who signed them. Unfortunately we are along way away from the good old days. But hopefully not too far away. LETS GET BEHIND THE CLUB WHEN THE SEASON STARTS UTB.

Indeed.

I know I may be coming across as a doom monger but I'm just managing my own expectations...hopefully others' as well.

I'm fully prepared for another top 10 finish next season.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Barnaby said:

I would be happy with 11 prepared to shed blood for the cause....Maybe some of our youngsters will step up

Unlikely while Warnock is in charge. He prefers seasoned veterans, as he showed this season...only putting youngsters in long after our play-off hopes had been extinguished.

Hopefully his replacement will show more faith in the academy lads.

5 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Indeed.

I know I may be coming across as a doom monger but I'm just managing my own expectations...hopefully others' as well.

I'm fully prepared for another top 10 finish next season.

Going up as champions @AnglianRed UTB

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""