• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Humpty said:

I never understand this kind of reasoning. You're happy to sell two of our best players off and make us weaker, to gamble on bringing in two or three new players that may or may not improve us? You've even noted how the clubs recruitment policy is as well 🤷‍♂️

Plus we have years of evidence to prove that this approach literally never works at Middlesbrough. Selling our best players has only ever weakened us.

Brentford/Southampton we are not. 

• Like 1

He didn't play as a 10 because we don't play with a 10. He was the most advanced of a mostly flat midfield 3. That midfield 3 is the number one reason why we are such an impotent attacking force, I rolled my eyes everytime is seen it. It were playing it in the future tav must be at the point and given a licence to roam. If he's not fit id sooner we play 2 in midfield and play another striker or something, the sav, howson and morsy trio is miserable to watch. 

• Like 2

Just because Saville doesn’t play as a conventional 10, in his midfield three role, he was asked to do a job similar to a 10, which my all accounts he doesn’t have the skill for. 

3 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

Just because Saville doesn’t play as a conventional 10, in his midfield three role, he was asked to do a job similar to a 10, which my all accounts he doesn’t have the skill for. 

No he wasn't. He was asked to do the job of an 8.

Ok, I'll rephrase it.  He was consistently our most advanced central midfielder last season.  He had more shots than anyone over the season.  He had more shots inside the penalty area than anyone over the season.  He had more shots inside the 6 yard box than anyone over the season.  Some of that is because he is a threat from set pieces but he was also only behind Tavernier for shots in open play as well.  When opposition GK's had the ball his starting position was usually right up against a defender.  He was hardly sat next to Howson for 90 mins was he?  Any of them are replaceable but we were talking specifically about Saville, and I'd sooner a more attacking player in that role than him.

• Like 4

Saville did miss more great chances last season than even britt, or at least it felt it. Someone more clinical in that position would have been worth a few more goals for sure 

I still haven't managed to get my head round why Howson isn't played in a more advanced role. He carries and uses the ball more intelligently than most of our other midfielders, Tav excluded. Having Morsy on the ball in the final third expecting him to make something happen is wishful thinking from my perspective.

9 minutes ago, Humpty said:

I still haven't managed to get my head round why Howson isn't played in a more advanced role. He carries and uses the ball more intelligently than most of our other midfielders, Tav excluded. Having Morsy on the ball in the final third expecting him to make something happen is wishful thinking from my perspective.

because he covers the pitch side to side a bit like a championship kante better than anybody else in the squad

12 minutes ago, Humpty said:

I have to disaggree here .. I think Howson is way too conservative! 

He is often in a position to drive the ball and/or play a creative pass, but he takes the safe option .. 

6 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

I have to disaggree here .. I think Howson is way too conservative! 

He is often in a position to drive the ball and/or play a creative pass, but he takes the safe option .. 

eye hes become less of a risk taker in his old age. like when he is deep and put under pressure a bit he just lumps it in behind. some could say that is under manager instructions. but i'm not convinced the gaffer is happy for him to punt 99% of the time hopeless balls way off target over the top.

32 minutes ago, Humpty said:

As CT rightly mentioned the other day, it's because Howson doesn't have the legs for it, at least not anymore.

• Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""