oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

12 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

Why are some people on here so desperate to write off a season? Smith is nowhere near the journeyman or poor player he's described as on here

Darlington, Charlton, Accrington, Newport County, Colchester United, AFC Wimbledon, Swindon, Barnsley, Portsmouth, Northampton, Bury and Rotherham.  That's who he has played for, most on loan though in fairness.  I think journeyman probably applies to him given his career to date  He's never really caught on anywhere before Rotherham.  As for his ability, I dunno, he has 36 goals in 152 games for Rotherham, which isn't great, especially when two of his four seasons have been in League One, but he does have a decent handful of assists (14).  He looks to me like a fairly typical lower league striker of his type.  He's a unit so he will always be able to play up to a certain level or contribute something but he'll struggle to ever go beyond that.  I don't believe a Championship side would have bought him prior to this season but that alone doesn't mean anything I suppose.  He could be a late bloomer of sorts, not convinced mind.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

@diggerlad07  Sorry i was meant to ask earlier but got sidetracked at work. You said Smith is due here for talks on weekend. Do you know if that means a fee has been agreed? Or is it a situation where Rotherham are happy for us to talk to Smith while the two clubs try and agree a fee? Thanks for the info mate.

6 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Darlington, Charlton, Accrington, Newport County, Colchester United, AFC Wimbledon, Swindon, Barnsley, Portsmouth, Northampton, Bury and Rotherham.  That's who he has played for, most on loan though in fairness.  I think journeyman probably applies to him given his career to date  He's never really caught on anywhere before Rotherham.  As for his ability, I dunno, he has 36 goals in 152 games for Rotherham, which isn't great, especially when two of his four seasons have been in League One, but he does have a decent handful of assists (14).  He looks to me like a fairly typical lower league striker of his type.  He's a unit so he will always be able to play up to a certain level or contribute something but he'll struggle to ever go beyond that.  I don't believe a Championship side would have bought him prior to this season but that alone doesn't mean anything I suppose.  He could be a late bloomer of sorts, not convinced mind.

Truro, Dorchester, Yeovil, Viking, Forest Green Rovers, Torquay, Ipswich, Rotherham, Barnsley, Wigan is equally unimpressive than Smith's history yet Kieffer Moore has just had a great season and is doing alright at the moment in the Euros. He has scored 107 goals in 314 games to date, 1:3, managing 10 in 36 games for Wigan when they went down.

Granted Smiths ratio to date is more like 1:4 but Warnock wanted Moore last season and I don't think any of us were particularly excited by the thought of a big lump from a relegated side, albeit they had points deducted, but Wigan wasn't exactly the pedigree we were all hoping for.

Moore wanted to be in Wales which is why we lost out (that and Cardiff could probably offer him a better deal). Smith is from Wallsend so Boro is probably about as close as he could get to going home (assuming he wants that) plus of course Steve Bruce isn't going to nip in with a late bid or indeed Sunderland don't push the boat out for him to replace Wyke. Smith is also a year older than Moore but he is what we can afford and at that cheap price point there are not many around to pick from. If he gets thirteen or fourteen goals that would be a result I suppose but I doubt it would propel us to the Premiership.

Overall, Smith is probably the closest thing to Moore but at two inches shorter at 6ft 3", a year older and a 1:4 rather than a 1:3 ratio looks to be a lesser version but he does at least fit the Warnock template. Putting aside how we would like to play there is no point in signing players that don't fit "the system" plus in fairness to Warnock he seems able in a lot of cases to squeeze a little bit more out of some players. Let's just hope that he is a late bloomer although like yourself I'm not particularly enamoured. Traditionally our history with Strikers isn't great (a Striker's graveyard is probably more apt) so maybe this one will buck the trend when we least expect it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The thing I don't like about Smith is just because he's linked to us, some people go on as if he's the best we can possibly do when quite clearly looking at his career he's not 

Also it's unfair on Moore to compare him to Smith, Moore has 8 less goals in league 1 in 90 odd less games

What you have to remember is that Warnock isn't looking for a prolific striker who plays off the shoulder of the last defender, he's looking for a link up man who can hold up the ball and supply runners from midfield which is the kind of thing Smith could be very good at.

He may not score 20+ goals but could very much be involved in 20+ goals with assists and goals

• Like 5
46 minutes ago, LBP said:

The thing I don't like about Smith is just because he's linked to us, some people go on as if he's the best we can possibly do when quite clearly looking at his career he's not 

Also it's unfair on Moore to compare him to Smith, Moore has 8 less goals in league 1 in 90 odd less games

Tbh I think Smith is actually about the best we can do. We're not signing anyone from abroad and we don't have the money to buy someone prolific from the domestic leagues. That's just the harsh reality. Have a look at last seasons scoring charts. Who above Smith do you honestly think we can attract that can be better?

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, LBP said:

You're forgetting that money is the deciding factor - not ability.

What every transfer will come down to is whether or not Boro can offer enough in wages, to entice players to come to the Riverside. Or transfer fees to persuade clubs to part with them in the first place.

As has been pointed out, there is a lot of talent (of varying quality) out there, available on free transfers. But a lot of those will be filtered out by whether Warnock actually wants them or not, plus the wages we're prepared to offer.

On that basis, Smith might well be the best we can possibly do.🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
13 hours ago, CWC said:

There’s definitely business to be done in the free-agent market. Quite a few on that list I like the look of. 

Some decent names on this list id take loads to be fair.

Both keepers, Barry Douglas, Scott Dann, Mo Besic, Lewis Holtby, Mpanzu, Grosicki, Brady Hoilett, Bolasie Atsu, rEACH Harris, and Diedhou.  

Job done easy this signing lark.

• Haha 1

We'll have to agree to disagree then as for me Michael Smith will never be the main man in a championship winning/promotion team unless we sign very good wingers/attacking midfielders which we won't, so I'd rather us just use Akpom, Coburn and a free agent saving money for the next manager to use

I reckon signings will start to come through soon. Just a feeling. More like Bola and Dijksteel would be my guess - probs reading too much into today's Gazette piece but it seemed to be hinting at certain types of players.

• Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""