oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

5 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

Surly we can't be outbid by Luton and Huddersfield if we really wanted the player 

Its a sign of the times where we cant even compete with teams like Luton for players.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

Fans like you just accept it when it clearly isn't good enough the position we are in. The club have no plan to get out of the mess either as just continuing with the same mistakes 

Yeah I couldn't agree more on this.

Respect Gibson's for everything he has done, but the club is living in the dark ages and making the same mistakes all the time because of his stubbornness and lack of money.  The game is a money game now so for me it's time for him to move on as there's no room for sentiment in the game these days.

The 70's and 80's era fans obviously would disagree with my statement which I accept and understand but for us to move forward as a club then Gibson has to move aside and let someone else either invest in the club or run the day to day foundations.

• Like 1

At our lowest ebb in the dark days in the few years leading up to liquidation in 86 we went on record that we couldn't compete with the Notts Countys, Grimsbys & Oxfords of the 2nd division back then when signing players, it looks as though those days are returning 

54 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

Fans like you just accept it when it clearly isn't good enough the position we are in. The club have no plan to get out of the mess either as just continuing with the same mistakes 

Not a matter of accepting it. I want better, ultimately want to see us back in the premier league and trying for Europe like the old days but I’m saying people are complaining already about next season and Gibson when no one is really making signings and improvements yet. Let’s see what the start of the season and end of the window brings before we start moaning at least. No?

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Riverside94 said:

Personally I can’t stand the Gibson bashing. Have you heard of financial fair play. There’s only so much he can do and put into the club. Even if he had multi billions spare lying around he couldn’t say here you go here’s a transfer budget. Even with a takeover they would have the same spend limit so would be no difference.

The Gibson 'bashing' is very little about his actual monetary investment from what I've seen. I know some will always hark back to times when we spent a lot of money in the transfer market and not see that we can't do that any more but that definitely doesn't seem to be the overwhelming anti-Gibson narrative, certainly not on this forum. It's more about Gibson's control and decision making with the money he has and has had.

He's not a modern football director but he, Bausor and one or two others at any one time often seem like they try to operate as such. There's a reason in the modern game that clubs dedicate this role to someone and when the club got rid of Victor Orta, they threw the baby out with the bathwater and decided to hand over significantly more control than needed to a young manager who clearly had no idea what to do with the money he had available to him. Then when that didn't work out, instead of recognising that maybe we should find someone to put back into Orta's position, Gibson hired a manager who thoroughly disagreed with that way of handling a modern football team. He further cemented us as a team that required the manager to be a significant stakeholder in the footballing direction of the club.

There are some who quite understandably don't think Gibson is the man to run the club when he's not capable of seeing we can't realistically expect to achieve his aims without handing over significant control to someone who understands football direction. Personally, I still think the value of having a club over the risk of losing it to a shoddy owner with no stake in the club or the area is a risk and not one worth taking. Whatever Gibson gets wrong with the club, he still stands as one of the owners in football who will stick at it and keep putting his money in when it needs to go in to keep it afloat. He's very unlikely to throw caution to the wind if the risk going wrong means the club going into administration or worse. I'd rather live with Gibson in charge and with the faint hope that stories like those about Kieran Scott could come true than risk having no club at all.

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

The Gibson 'bashing' is very little about his actual monetary investment from what I've seen. I know some will always hark back to times when we spent a lot of money in the transfer market and not see that we can't do that any more but that definitely doesn't seem to be the overwhelming anti-Gibson narrative, certainly not on this forum. It's more about Gibson's control and decision making with the money he has and has had.

He's not a modern football director but he, Bausor and one or two others at any one time often seem like they try to operate as such. There's a reason in the modern game that clubs dedicate this role to someone and when the club got rid of Victor Orta, they threw the baby out with the bathwater and decided to hand over significantly more control than needed to a young manager who clearly had no idea what to do with the money he had available to him. Then when that didn't work out, instead of recognising that maybe we should find someone to put back into Orta's position, Gibson hired a manager who thoroughly disagreed with that way of handling a modern football team. He further cemented us as a team that required the manager to be a significant stakeholder in the footballing direction of the club.

There are some who quite understandably don't think Gibson is the man to run the club when he's not capable of seeing we can't realistically expect to achieve his aims without handing over significant control to someone who understands football direction. Personally, I still think the value of having a club over the risk of losing it to a shoddy owner with no stake in the club or the area is a risk and not one worth taking. Whatever Gibson gets wrong with the club, he still stands as one of the owners in football who will stick at it and keep putting his money in when it needs to go in to keep it afloat. He's very unlikely to throw caution to the wind if the risk going wrong means the club going into administration or worse. I'd rather live with Gibson in charge and with the faint hope that stories like those about Kieran Scott could come true than risk having no club at all.

Yea I agree with this, I do think he tried though e.g. Kenyon, Orta but think maybe the whole Karanka, Orta power battle whatever happened has put him off giving over too much power/control? Who knows 

2 hours ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

Does anyone know if Wing is apart of the Smith deal?

Can't see wing dropping down to league 1 like, and surely he is worth a few mil if we decide to let him go

24 minutes ago, scotty189 said:

Can't see wing dropping down to league 1 like, and surely he is worth a few mil if we decide to let him go

Not really sure how much Wing would be worth he does however only have 12 months on his contract.

I think he would drop down for games and if he saw Rotherham could challenge to come back up.

21 minutes ago, RiversideRed said:

Boro, along with Sheffield United, West Brom and Blackburn Rovers, are keen on Toulouse striker Rhys Healey.

We were linked with him last summer think he’s ex cardiff

20 minutes ago, RiversideRed said:

Boro, along with Sheffield United, West Brom and Blackburn Rovers, are keen on Toulouse striker Rhys Healey.

I'd be happy with him, watched the play off games between Nantes and Toulouse and he reminded me a bit of Scot McDonald.  He's a squat little thing but seemed strong and held the ball up well.

• Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""