oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

26 minutes ago, Oldham boro said:

Is anyone else getting nervous about the lack of signings. I get the feeling that we are waiting for July the first to sign free agents only as any money we do have is being kept for players wages.

Not really, it always takes a long time for free agents to start signing.

• Like 1
  • Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Humpty said:

I don't know much about him but is he an improvement on Sam Morsy? 

He's an upgrade on Morsy playing as a box 2 box I think, yes. Not when you play Morsy properly because then they're different players.

He'd be an upgrade on Saville too IMO.

28 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Without wanting to be pedantic, we need players who can succeed at this level, not just compete.  All of our players can compete at this level, that's why we finished 10th last season.  So are the players we are interested in those that can succeed at this level because if they aren't then why are we bothering?

Competing and succeeding are hardly mutually exclusive though but I get your point and there was probably a better word to use. My point was more that I don't know want us to roll over in games or be making excuses, I want competitors and us to be at the very least hard to beat in every game

8 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

Competing and succeeding are hardly mutually exclusive though but I get your point and there was probably a better word to use. My point was more that I don't know want us to roll over in games or be making excuses, I want competitors and us to be at the very least hard to beat in every game

Yes, it does sound a tad pedantic really. Who knows who can succeed? We have come notably unstuck in the past by investing a lot of dosh in “goal machines” who failed to deliver after moving to Boro. Alves and Britt spring to mind. The transfer window has always been a lottery, and even more so now.

• Like 2

what does Johnny Howson provide? we need goals from everyone , 6m   for a player who cant score, whats his record ? Warnock is right , 6,7,8 new players needed and the type pushing for a start

20 minutes ago, Oslo_Syd said:

Yes, it does sound a tad pedantic really. Who knows who can succeed? We have come notably unstuck in the past by investing a lot of dosh in “goal machines” who failed to deliver after moving to Boro. Alves and Britt spring to mind. The transfer window has always been a lottery, and even more so now.

The transfer window isn't a lottery.  As to who knows who can succeed, well there are people being paid to have at least a reasonable idea of that, one of them being the manager.

Alves was signed on the back of one outstanding season, and a career playing at a relatively low level, certainly in comparison to the Premier League.  Assombalonga, for the most part, did what he'd done before he signed for us with the exception being this past season of course.  If we bought those players on the basis that they would be something else then that's a failure in our assessment of them.

38 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

No they aren't mutually exclusive but they do mean different things.  All of our current senior players can compete at this level.  I'm not sure if they can succeed at this level though.  I suppose the difference is in what you're looking for.  I'm looking for a team who can finish in the top six, ideally first, if at all possible.  Being hard to beat would be a part of that but not my actual aim as such.  If we're hard to beat but finish mid-table are you content or a little disappointed?

13 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Just my opinion but I genuinely don't think Mpanzu is an upgrade in midfield for us at all.

unless hes a replacement its mad that its another season of flooding the same positions. 

Just now, nunthorpered said:

unless hes a replacement its mad that its another season of flooding the same positions. 

Yeah it's a bit mad!

That said Luton had Dewsbury-Hall on loan from Leicester last season. Now he looked class and importantly is different to what we already have. 

If we are looking at signing a midfielder him and Grant (Lincoln) would be high on my list.

We don't actually have many senior central midfielders now, do we?

Howson, whose legs seem to have gone.

Wing, who Warnock seems not to rate.

Morsy

Saville, who is rumoured to want to leave/we want to move on.

You could probably add McNair if we signed more defenders.

That's 5 players for a position where we tend to play 2 or 3, and two of them aren't even guaranteed to be here next season, and one spent almost the entire season in defence.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

No they aren't mutually exclusive but they do mean different things.  All of our current senior players can compete at this level.  I'm not sure if they can succeed at this level though.  I suppose the difference is in what you're looking for.  I'm looking for a team who can finish in the top six, ideally first, if at all possible.  Being hard to beat would be a part of that but not my actual aim as such.  If we're hard to beat but finish mid-table are you content or a little disappointed?

I used compete as an example because I felt we had enough ability in games but didn't compete as well as we should, particularly against those below us in the league or those who chose to play with awkward, stubborn styles. I am well aware they are very different things, I just wanted to highlight I want players who will compete and fight in every game which is a character I don't feel we have enough in our current squad.

We were good enough ability wise to finish higher last season but we were outfought and didn't compete in games especially against so called lesser sides.

17 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Have I missed something as cant see anywhere that we are close to signing this Mpanzu but discussions on here suggest we are?

I think @diggerlad07 mentioned he might be signing. Since then people have discussed the merits of signing him. 

Not seen anything concrete in terms of him signing, but equally not sure many on here are looking at it as a done deal.

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

We don't actually have many senior central midfielders now, do we?

Howson, whose legs seem to have gone.

Wing, who Warnock seems not to rate.

Morsy

Saville, who is rumoured to want to leave/we want to move on.

You could probably add McNair if we signed more defenders.

That's 5 players for a position where we tend to play 2 or 3, and two of them aren't even guaranteed to be here next season, and one spent almost the entire season in defence.

Personally I'd add Tav as one of the central players, I'd also add Malley.

• Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""