oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

I reckon a midfield 3 of Morsy Tav and Mpanzu would definitely be a top 6 midfield, Fry and McNair will be as good a CB pairing as there will be in the Championship so if we can sort out the front 3 we will be pretty close

• Like 2
  • Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, mj south said:

I reckon a midfield 3 of Morsy Tav and Mpanzu would definitely be a top 6 midfield, Fry and McNair will be as good a CB pairing as there will be in the Championship so if we can sort out the front 3 we will be pretty close

Yes I'm having that

10 minutes ago, mj south said:

Akpom-Smith-Watmore sorted 😉

Mpanzu is a defensive midfielder according to transfermarkt. Might work if you want to play two holding midfielders but you sure as hell better have a bit of creativity either side of the striker.

25 minutes ago, Humpty said:

Mpanzu is a defensive midfielder according to transfermarkt. Might work if you want to play two holding midfielders but you sure as hell better have a bit of creativity either side of the striker.

I'd describe him as a midfielder who links between the holding and creative mids. I said before I think he'd be the perfect transition player in a midfield 3 of Morsy, PRM, and Tav - which would also allow Morsy to play a more natural version of his game.

He might be another central midfielder, but I think he'd bring a lot of balance to us in the centre of the park where we have, at times, looked a bit frantic and clueless. 

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Snowblind said:

I'd describe him as a midfielder who links between the holding and creative mids. I said before I think he'd be the perfect transition player in a midfield 3 of Morsy, PRM, and Tav - which would also allow Morsy to play a more natural version of his game.

He might be another central midfielder, but I think he'd bring a lot of balance to us in the centre of the park where we have, at times, looked a bit frantic and clueless. 

My worry about that is that the Warnock midfield 3, certainly here, has neither involved such a dynamic midfield 3, nor would we really benefit from it when the best our midfielders can often hope for is a knockdown from a defender. There's very little transition through the middle of the pitch.

So whilst Mpanzu might do well in that kind of midfield, I just don't know if that's how Warnock will actually use him.

1 hour ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

I think Watmore could really benefit by having a target man in front of him to play off.

Bit old school as in 442 with Watmore the second striker.

4321 formation would be good I think.  Tav RW, Watmore #10, and a new LW (still hoping for Bolasie) all playing off a target man.

Don't think it will happen though.

2 hours ago, Changing Times said:

The transfer window isn't a lottery.  As to who knows who can succeed, well there are people being paid to have at least a reasonable idea of that, one of them being the manager.

Alves was signed on the back of one outstanding season, and a career playing at a relatively low level, certainly in comparison to the Premier League.  Assombalonga, for the most part, did what he'd done before he signed for us with the exception being this past season of course.  If we bought those players on the basis that they would be something else then that's a failure in our assessment of them.

With all due respect, I don’t think it’s quite as simple as that. Take Alves as an example. He was the top scorer in the Eredivisie (not the worst division in the world) before we bought him from Heerenveen, and they were very loath to let him go. But he was used to having the ball fed to him on a silver platter and that simply didn’t happen at Boro. Mostly he was wandering aimlessly about waiting for a ball that never came. On the few occasions when it actually did happen – as in the case of the 8-1 thrashing of a very out-of-sorts Man City, he performed well.

My point here is that all too often, the Boro staff have gone for players who performed well in a different team, under a different manager, playing a different style, and sometimes in a different country, and assumed they would just slot neatly into a Boro team that played an entirely different sort of football. So yes, a failure in our assessment of them, and also of our ability to play them.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Oslo_Syd said:

With all due respect, I don’t think it’s quite as simple as that. Take Alves as an example. He was the top scorer in the Eredivisie (not the worst division in the world) before we bought him from Heerenveen, and they were very loath to let him go. But he was used to having the ball fed to him on a silver platter and that simply didn’t happen at Boro. Mostly he was wandering aimlessly about waiting for a ball that never came. On the few occasions when it actually did happen – as in the case of the 8-1 thrashing of a very out-of-sorts Man City, he performed well.

My point here is that all too often, the Boro staff have gone for players who performed well in a different team, under a different manager, playing a different style, and sometimes in a different country, and assumed they would just slot neatly into a Boro team that played an entirely different sort of football. So yes, a failure in our assessment of them, and also of our ability to play them.

I think it’s more to do with our chairman trying to indulge us by signing high scoring strikers for big money regardless wether they fit in with the managers plans or not. 

I remember braithwaite saying one reason he wasn’t happy here (in an interview he did for Denmark press) was he was under the impression he was coming as our main striker. Then assombalonga pops up a week later, he was another ‘gift’ imo. His heart is in the right place but I wish he’d stop and spend the money more wisely. 

4 hours ago, LinoJo3 said:

I think it’s more to do with our chairman trying to indulge us by signing high scoring strikers for big money regardless wether they fit in with the managers plans or not. 

I remember braithwaite saying one reason he wasn’t happy here (in an interview he did for Denmark press) was he was under the impression he was coming as our main striker. Then assombalonga pops up a week later, he was another ‘gift’ imo. His heart is in the right place but I wish he’d stop and spend the money more wisely. 

so we had gestede bamford then signed braithwaite telling him hes our number 1 striker. then we signed britt. no wonder he was miffed off. we clearly lied to him never even played him as a cf. stuck him out wide left.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Dynamo Kev said:

so we had gestede bamford then signed braithwaite telling him hes our number 1 striker. then we signed britt. no wonder he was miffed off. we clearly lied to him never even played him as a cf. stuck him out wide left.

Don't forget we also added Fletcher for another 7 mil, quality stuff!

• Angry 1

Makes you shake your head in disbelief when you read stuff like this.

What other business or sector of industry would you hire people like this?

Did any of our last few managers ever sit down with Gibson and say, "This is how l like my teams to play, these are the sort of players I need...I have a few in mind, but lets put the scouts to work, scouring the UK and Europe, to find others that fit the bill, for the kind of money we can afford".

Those that were actually there for more than a couple of transfer windows, that is...

I think Boro have proven, beyond any reasonable doubt, that just snapping up big names for big money, without any consideration for the rest of the team, is absolute folly.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Brunners said:

He's an upgrade on Morsy playing as a box 2 box I think, yes. Not when you play Morsy properly because then they're different players.

He'd be an upgrade on Saville too IMO.

Suppose it depends on what you expect. Saville certainly is a lot more dangerous around the box and has three times the experience of Mpanzu in the championship despite only being 1 year older. Also add 31 international caps. Saville is virtually the ONLY goal thread we have from midfield, and you want to change him with someone less threatening. I'm not sure Saville is the one that needs changing. I'd rather change Morsy or Howson.

• Like 2
  • Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""