oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

1 hour ago, DurhamRed said:

One thing I would say is now we signing all these players for long ball style of football. If it doesn't work out and Neil doesn't get us promoted then he retires next summer. I hope we don't get in a passing tika taka manager we need someone who wants to play same style. 

Who are all these long ball style players we have signed?

• Like 2
  • Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

At least we're getting someone from near the top of our list, last year around this time we were being linked with Gnanduillet!

My one worry with Ameobi and Ikpeazu is we still lack that bit of technical ability, we need someone we can rely on to trap a ball and dictate the play around the box I dare say someone in the mould of what Junior Hoilett was 3 years ago. 

25 minutes ago, xathras said:

That's no way to judge a player. Take George friend as example we bought him for peanuts from a relegated side and he went on to be the back bone of our side for years

I'm judging him on his stats and at 26 he's done very little for a forward even in a poor league in Scotland, ok so what's he been judged on then. So we've been scouting a player who's in a team that was fighting relegation and got relegated, not having it.   

Some claim negatively- I would class it more realism.A very thorough analysis of the guy really leaves one scratching your head wondering how we have reached such depths in our recruitment. This has to be the bottom of our descent of poor buys. 

If he is anything much better than useless then that will be surprising. If he scores anything like double figures equally it will be a surprise.

Poor choice has been made, if this is the future of MFC then it ain’t looking too rosey!

• Like 2
  • Angry 1

The negative reaction to Ikpeazu is reminiscent to the generally negative reaction to our serious interest in Kieffer Moore last summer. Moore’s time at Cardiff has shown that he’d have been an excellent signing for us, so hopefully us signing Ikpeazu can turn out as successfully as Moore at Cardiff. All that really matters is that he’s a really good fit for our system. As he’s 6 foot 3 and powerfully built, he’s surely going to be a marked improvement on the likes of small likes of Assombalonga that can’t hold the ball up.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, TeaCider24 said:

It's hard to judge though, isn't it?

I'm not overly enamoured with this signing but he was in a very poor team, he was in a very poor team at Hearts too.

He might well have struggled because he was in a struggling side.

Though you could equally argue that the sides struggled in part because of him.

He looked decent enough when we played Wycombe though.

He was in a poor side but he still had more shots than our lot.  His lack of goals can't be said to be from a lack of chances or simply because he played for Wycombe.  His inability to keep hold of the ball shouldn't really be relevant to what team he plays for likewise his aerial stats.  We're looking at the end result of those stats and saying they aren't great because he played for a poor side.  But then you break down his individual work and it's poor, and that is down to him, not the team he plays for surely?

8 minutes ago, Robin Johnson said:

Some claim negatively- I would class it more realism.A very thorough analysis of the guy really leaves one scratching your head wondering how we have reached such depths in our recruitment. This has to be the bottom of our descent of poor buys. 

If he is anything much better than useless then that will be surprising. If he scores anything like double figures equally it will be a surprise.

Poor choice has been made, if this is the future of MFC then it ain’t looking too rosey!

yeah but you hated Bolasie but wanted Grosicki, so I don't entirely trust your judgement.

• Like 2

I guess that this guy will earn in a month what Britt earned over a weekend plus it would take another 15 years at £1M (More likely only £750K rising depending on appearances, goals and promotion etc.) to equal the cost of just one Britt Assombalonga. His goals per game ratio certainly isn't as good as Britt's but we aren't shopping in Harrods any more unfortunately, at least his cost per goal will be significantly less.

He showed decent ball control in the games against us and no doubt like Lumley the games against us have had a major impact in the decision to buy him. Bernie wasn't exactly a sensation North of the border either and done OK for us, Dimi wouldn't have been anywhere near anyone's goalkeeping list let alone top of it and as mentioned George Friend was only a quarter of the reported figure for Ikpeazu. More recently we have seen how Dijksteel and Bola proved to be worth more than their original fee.

A top four Championship Player or a bottom to lower half Premiership Player will cost at least £5M plus and I doubt we have £5M to spend in total let alone sign 8 or 9 Players with. Whether Ikpeazu can offer us anything remains to be seen but he looks like he could fit the type of Player Warnock wants which is better than one who doesn't. None of us know if he will be any use to us or indeed will only be used as an 80th minute sub for most of the season, regardless of that its what we can afford.

• Like 6
20 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

He was in a poor side but he still had more shots than our lot.  His lack of goals can't be said to be from a lack of chances or simply because he played for Wycombe.  His inability to keep hold of the ball shouldn't really be relevant to what team he plays for likewise his aerial stats.  We're looking at the end result of those stats and saying they aren't great because he played for a poor side.  But then you break down his individual work and it's poor, and that is down to him, not the team he plays for surely?

The stats can easily be skewed by *** passes from bad players, both in terms of his shots and losing the ball.

Not saying they are, but pure stats don't show everything.

He might have taken a load of desperate shots from distance because he was in a struggling side, he might have struggled to hold up the ball because he was receiving sub-par balls from struggling players.

It might be a bit of straw-clutching, but it's possible.

3 minutes ago, Brunners said:

yeah but you hated Bolasie but wanted Grosicki, so I don't entirely trust your judgement.

Grosicki probably has a better record than Bolasie in fairness.  Bolasie has had a fairly unremarkable career when you actually look at it.  In the Championship they've both played 118 games oddly enough.  Bolasie has 10 goals and 18 assists, Grosicki has 26 goals and 25 assists.  Grosicki obviously hasn't had the Premier League experience that Bolasie has, although he has played in Ligue 1, where he got 13 goals and 13 assists in 81 games, compared to Bolasie's 119 games, 10 goals and 23 assists.  Overall, Grosicki has twice as many goals in professional football with nearly twice as many assists from 70 more appearances - 86 goals to 43 goals, 100 assists to 59 assists, and Grosicki has played more top flight football around the continent as well as more international football.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Grosicki probably has a better record than Bolasie in fairness.  Bolasie has had a fairly unremarkable career when you actually look at it.  In the Championship they've both played 118 games oddly enough.  Bolasie has 10 goals and 18 assists, Grosicki has 26 goals and 25 assists.  Grosicki obviously hasn't had the Premier League experience that Bolasie has, although he has played in Ligue 1, where he got 13 goals and 13 assists in 81 games, compared to Bolasie's 119 games, 10 goals and 23 assists.  Overall, Grosicki has twice as many goals in professional football with nearly twice as many assists from 70 more appearances - 86 goals to 43 goals, 100 assists to 59 assists, and Grosicki has played more top flight football around the continent as well as more international football.

jeez man stop disagreeing with me, ugh.

3 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

The stats can easily be skewed by *** passes from bad players, both in terms of his shots and losing the ball.

Not saying they are, but pure stats don't show everything.

He might have taken a load of desperate shots from distance because he was in a struggling side, he might have struggled to hold up the ball because he was receiving sub-par balls from struggling players.

It might be a bit of straw-clutching, but it's possible.

Not being funny, but what type of passes do you think he was mostly getting?  Cos I think he was getting the types of passes that our strikers were getting.  His stats are the worst in the league, you really think that's down to bad passes? Akinfenwa won more in the air than he did by way of a direct comparison - 6.6 won and 5.6 lost from 12.2, and his unsuccessful touches were obviously a lot fewer 1.1 with 0.7 dispossessed per game.  Ikpaezu played about 2000 mins, Akinfenwa played about 1200.  It's quite a sizeable difference for two players from the same club who essentially performed the same role.

If he's signing for us then I'm gonna support him either way.  But I sincerely hope he has a lot more in his locker than just a couple of decent games against us.  The stats don't suggest that he does, they suggest he's actually a poor target man, never mind a poor striker.

9 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Not being funny, but what type of passes do you think he was mostly getting?  Cos I think he was getting the types of passes that our strikers were getting.  His stats are the worst in the league, you really think that's down to bad passes? Akinfenwa won more in the air than he did by way of a direct comparison - 6.6 won and 5.6 lost from 12.2, and his unsuccessful touches were obviously a lot fewer 1.1 with 0.7 dispossessed per game.  Ikpaezu played about 2000 mins, Akinfenwa played about 1200.  It's quite a sizeable difference for two players from the same club who essentially performed the same role.

If he's signing for us then I'm gonna support him either way.  But I sincerely hope he has a lot more in his locker than just a couple of decent games against us.  The stats don't suggest that he does, they suggest he's actually a poor target man, never mind a poor striker.

I've no idea, I can honestly say I've watched Wycombe twice in my life and both were against us.

The first he scored a beauty but they were deservedly beaten as a team.

The second we were torn a new arsehole and he was heavily involved in that as well.

That's clearly not a reflection of their full season given they were bottom of the table before they played us on the final day of the season.

• Like 4

Wycombe fans say their entire team was set up around Ikpeazu and he scored 6 goals, gestede wouldve had 20 apparently 😉

Hearts fans say this 

• Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""