oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

1 minute ago, Changing Times said:

Not for undrafted rookies and practice squad players.  If you think that an NFL roster has 90 players on it to begin with, and then gets gradually cut down to 53, a lot of those players won't be on big money I'd guess.  The average of the 53 will be a fair bit higher than the average of the 90.

During training camp that is true about undrafted rookies - although obviously if they make the final 53 they make the minimum.

Practice squad players made between 8.4k to 12k in 2020, depending on if they were classed as "veteran" practice squad players. Practice squad rules changed last year cause of covid. Average practice squad salary is between $436,800 & $624,000

Not sure if these average salary things will utilise 90 man squads or the 53 man squads that a roster usually is.

• Like 1
  • Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Will said:

Clubs are poorly run.

I do find it an odd difference between the US and UK that when big sports stars get paid big money over there there isn't this pearl clutching disgust that they earn a lot of money, instead they congratulate them for making their money and accept that they are the attraction and therefore deserve their share of the pie.

The US is a very money orientated society though, and I don't think we are at the same level over here.  If anything we seem to resent people who do well for themselves.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Someone getting injured playing around on a scooter, someone getting injured when their mate fell on them.  Have we got a squad full of Frank Spencers?

I was watching Ben Fosters podcast yesterday where he explained that you get these explanations for injuries because players don't want to admit they were doing something they shouldn't have been. For example he blew his ACL playing 4aside football and told Stoke he had done it playing tennis with his brother.

Made me start looking at these injury explanations in a different light.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Will said:

The average career length is correct, but $300k is lower than the minimum NFL salary, even for a fresh out of college rookie.

it was from memory and a few years old, but the stars make the money and the squad make diddly squat

Just now, Brunners said:

During training camp that is true about undrafted rookies - although obviously if they make the final 53 they make the minimum.

Practice squad players made between 8.4k to 12k in 2020, depending on if they were classed as "veteran" practice squad players. Practice squad rules changed last year cause of covid. Average practice squad salary is between $436,800 & $624,000

Not sure if these average salary things will utilise 90 man squads or the 53 man squads that a roster usually is.

I think the average salary would be the full 90 man squad, and that would explain why the average could be lower than you'd think.  I know teams tend to have a lot more undrafted rookies on their initial squads.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Brunners said:

I was watching Ben Fosters podcast yesterday where he explained that you get these explanations for injuries because players don't want to admit they were doing something they shouldn't have been. For example he blew his ACL playing 4aside football and told Stoke he had done it playing tennis with his brother.

Made me start looking at these injury explanations in a different light.

Footballers can be pretty stupid and/or careless, though.

5 hours ago, Brunners said:

This is with regards to Bahamboula. Sounds like we might know more within the next week.

You've got a cat like a drew yesterday.  Are you a Bond villain as well?

11 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

The US is a very money orientated society though, and I don't think we are at the same level over here.  If anything we seem to resent people who do well for themselves.

I think that perception comes from what is shown in the media. There is certainly a larger money divide here in the States than in the UK (90% of the wealth is owned by 1% of the people), but I believe that there is a higher percentage of the population below the poverty line here. Minimum wage in the UK I believe is 8.75GBP and in the US $7.25 and $2.13 for tipped labour. I am not sure anyone in the world stacks up to the Premier League payments, but for the major sports most American players lead very extravagant lifestyles as do all "successful" entertainers.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Brunners said:

yep, true, not ruling it out, just wonder how many of them are doing it playing unauthorised sports and would rather people think they were clumsy.

Dimi regularly played 5-a-side at the JD Sports Domes while under contract with Boro. I don't think Karanka would have been very happy if he'd injured himself doing so. I wonder what excuse he might have made up, haha

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

You've got a cat like a drew yesterday.  Are you a Bond villain as well?

No but she might be, I'm not 100% sure what she gets up to when I'm not around.

29 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

That was sort of my point. Not that we should be like them, but there's certainly a happy middle ground where we don't just say that someone earns too much money because they are well paid.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Not for undrafted rookies and practice squad players.  If you think that an NFL roster has 90 players on it to begin with, and then gets gradually cut down to 53, a lot of those players won't be on big money I'd guess.  The average of the 53 will be a fair bit higher than the average of the 90.

I think to be considered an NFL player you have to be at least eligible to play a game in the NFL, which those 37 players who get cut aren't. If they make a 53 man roster then they earn the minimum, which is above the average that was quoted.

2 minutes ago, Will said:

I think to be considered an NFL player you have to be at least eligible to play a game in the NFL, which those 37 players who get cut aren't. If they make a 53 man roster then they earn the minimum, which is above the average that was quoted.

I wonder if the pre-season games count perhaps?  That might explain it?

• Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""