oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

35 minutes ago, p_mards said:

Steve Gibson can win: He can get the club to operate with a robust, long-term strategy. My reservations are regarding his two major flaws: he likes to take over control when he shouldn't, and makes decisions without any sort of long-term strategy.

He does have a track record of getting too involved in recruitment decisions (Alves, Woodgate, Downing, Rhodes etc) so it wouldn’t be a surprise if history has repeated itself. It’s notable that signing players from Argentina and Brazil goes against everything that Warnock has done in his previous promotions, and Warnock’s quotes clearly show that it’s not him driving the signings. Leo Percovich and his contacts in South America recommended us Carlos de Pena, our only signing directly from South American in his 5 years employed by us, so his recruitment influence over the years has been minimal and not very good to be honest, so that gives me no added confidence in the thoroughness of the decision-making.

Signing previously unknown young Argentinian or Brazilian players is obviously exciting, and I really hope that they prove to be excellent signings, but if we're signing them without an overall long-term strategy then I wouldn’t be surprised to see them turn out like the previous countless short-term exciting signings that ultimately turned out to be expensive failures. My key question is what is our plan for when Warnock likely retires at the end of the season? Will Gibson appoint a manager that plays a similar or a completely contrasting style of football? It's inescapable that the past 8 managerial appointments have been knee-jerking styles: Southgate, Strachan, Mowbray, Karanka, Monk, Pulis, Woodgate and Warnock. Another knee-jerk will have a major impact on all our current players and potentially render a Payero or Ikpeazu a square peg in a round hole and they'll obviously struggle. That's why a robust, long-term strategy needs to be in place.

If our scouting and recruitment team have picked out the players based on their ability and adaptability, and at the top of the club we have a robust, long-term strategy – that Gibson actually has the self-control to follow - to give them an excellent environment to perform and improve within then that’s excellent; It’s all I’ve ever wanted for more than the past decade. I'm sick of seeing a constant stream of square pegs in round holes through the various new styles of play that come with a new manager. However, if it is just some populist, short-sighted dalliance into Argentina and Brazil, without any thought about the bigger picture, then it is absolutely flawed strategically. You only have to take a cursory glance at to see Gibson’s shambolic short-sightedness in the Summer transfer window of 2017 in which we spent god knows how much on Assombalonga, Braithwaite, Fletcher and co, only to then sack the manager 4 months later and replace him with Pulis who played a completely different style of football. 

I appreciate that South American markets are more appealing for work permits after Brexit, but we've been absolutely awful at signings from abroad in the 4 years since relegation. I think there's only Braithwaite, Harrison (albeit he was born in England) and Stojanovic who we've signed from abroad - all of which we've handled absolutely terribly. So Gibson needs to learn the lessons of what went so wrong for us in them signings, and even the countless terrible domestic signings for that matter, so that the likes of Payero and any other Argentinians or Brazilians have a good chance of excelling in the environment here.

Hopefully it’s the start of a new, adventurous and successful approach to recruitment that blends into a robust, long-term strategy from the top of the club. 

Good read but 80-90% conjecture on Steve Gibson.

• Like 1
  • Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

54 minutes ago, p_mards said:

Steve Gibson can win: He can get the club to operate with a robust, long-term strategy. My reservations are regarding his two major flaws: he likes to take over control when he shouldn't, and makes decisions without any sort of long-term strategy.

He does have a track record of getting too involved in recruitment decisions (Alves, Woodgate, Downing, Rhodes etc) so it wouldn’t be a surprise if history has repeated itself. It’s notable that signing players from Argentina and Brazil goes against everything that Warnock has done in his previous promotions, and Warnock’s quotes clearly show that it’s not him driving the signings. Leo Percovich and his contacts in South America recommended us Carlos de Pena, our only signing directly from South American in his 5 years employed by us, so his recruitment influence over the years has been minimal and not very good to be honest, so that gives me no added confidence in the thoroughness of the decision-making.

Signing previously unknown young Argentinian or Brazilian players is obviously exciting, and I really hope that they prove to be excellent signings, but if we're signing them without an overall long-term strategy then I wouldn’t be surprised to see them turn out like the previous countless short-term exciting signings that ultimately turned out to be expensive failures. My key question is what is our plan for when Warnock likely retires at the end of the season? Will Gibson appoint a manager that plays a similar or a completely contrasting style of football? It's inescapable that the past 8 managerial appointments have been knee-jerking styles: Southgate, Strachan, Mowbray, Karanka, Monk, Pulis, Woodgate and Warnock. Another knee-jerk will have a major impact on all our current players and potentially render a Payero or Ikpeazu a square peg in a round hole and they'll obviously struggle. That's why a robust, long-term strategy needs to be in place.

If our scouting and recruitment team have picked out the players based on their ability and adaptability, and at the top of the club we have a robust, long-term strategy – that Gibson actually has the self-control to follow - to give them an excellent environment to perform and improve within then that’s excellent; It’s all I’ve ever wanted for more than the past decade. I'm sick of seeing a constant stream of square pegs in round holes through the various new styles of play that come with a new manager. However, if it is just some populist, short-sighted dalliance into Argentina and Brazil, without any thought about the bigger picture, then it is absolutely flawed strategically. You only have to take a cursory glance at to see Gibson’s shambolic short-sightedness in the Summer transfer window of 2017 in which we spent god knows how much on Assombalonga, Braithwaite, Fletcher and co, only to then sack the manager 4 months later and replace him with Pulis who played a completely different style of football. 

I appreciate that South American markets are more appealing for work permits after Brexit, but we've been absolutely awful at signings from abroad in the 4 years since relegation. I think there's only Braithwaite, Harrison (albeit he was born in England) and Stojanovic who we've signed from abroad - all of which we've handled absolutely terribly. So Gibson needs to learn the lessons of what went so wrong for us in them signings, and even the countless terrible domestic signings for that matter, so that the likes of Payero and any other Argentinians or Brazilians have a good chance of excelling in the environment here.

Hopefully it’s the start of a new, adventurous and successful approach to recruitment that blends into a robust, long-term strategy from the top of the club. 

Excellent post. You have put into words my thoughts very eloquently. I love SG to bits, but he meddles too much in recruitment for me. I wish him and Boro well, without him we’d not have a club but I hope we have a longer term strategy from the lurching from style to style of late. I have seen on various forums some signings allegedly being called gifts by Karanka, which when you look back in hindsight and after a bit of googling appears to hold some truth. Let the Manager and his team identify the players and Bausor do his best to deliver who we can within whatever budget we have. 

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

Seems to be a lot of that on here, I do get it and we are all frustrated with our dealings since the first relegation but there is a bit of an anti Gibson element

It's his club, what are you expecting? The buck stops with him, especially when a lot of us who have a problem with it are talking about the long term.

19 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

A bit of a nuanced view without conjecture mainly

There's always going to be conjecture, we're not working with the man. Why would you expect the average fan to deliver a view, positive or negative, on Gibson without conjecture?

• Like 1

Just had it pointed out that Spence doesn't appear to be on the trip to Cornwall, he doesn't seem to be in the team pic by the plane, unless he's hiding behind someone else.

4 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Just had it pointed out that Spence doesn't appear to be on the trip to Cornwall, he doesn't seem to be in the team pic by the plane, unless he's hiding behind someone else.

Nevermind, he's just hiding behind Dijksteel, the cheeky scamp!

• Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""