oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

2 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Then Fulham bring up the fact we accepted a deal in the exact same manner with Bamford and Leeds. I don't see what about it is cheating.

I was literally about to say Leeds didn't pay us anything for the first year.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, BoroJake said:

Didn’t understand a word to be honest

“He is really looking forward to moving to Middlesbrough or the mighty Boro I hear they are called. They have a history with South America and are the best at samba outside of Rio De Janerio is my understanding. Personal details are sorted when they added weekly Parmo’s to his salary can’t wait to do the lambada in the Claggy Mac with the pretty girls. 
On the pitch he plays midfield but doesn’t like running So Mr Warnock style of play is perfect as they tend to bypass that part of the pitch most of the time “ 

**From Google Translate **
Take it as true and please don’t fact check it👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 11
  • Thanks 1

It is no secret that Ciaron Brown was the subject of a bid from Middlesbrough this week, with Neil Warnock, the man who brought the Northern Ireland international to the Welsh capital, keen on a reunion with the defender.

Should Cardiff see an offer fit for Brown and the player departs, Cardiff fans might see it as the weakening of two positions, with the 23-year-old capable of playing both at centre back and out at left back.

However, Bluebirds supporters should rest assured that if a transfer for Brown does transpire, both Jones and Davies are proving themselves to be more than useful prospects.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cardiff-city-youngster-who-really-21140778

If I was a Cardiff fan I'd read those paragraph's as Brown will probably be gone and Boro's rejected bid wasn't far off, it would be interesting if we sign him AND Kean Bryan. It would definitely add some depth to our left side especially if we're looking to play 5 at the back more often than not.

1 hour ago, ScarBoro said:

It’s up to both clubs to negotiate what the transfer fee is and when it is paid - it’s purely a commercial decision and normally the selling club is interested enough in getting cash in to refuse any extended terms over and above the norm. If Liverpool are prepared to accept the cash at a later date, then there is nothing to stop them.

the point is though that the timing of payment doesn’t normally affect FFP rules. You depreciate the players worth over the length of the contract - so if Wilson is going on a 5 year deal for £12m, say, then the cost for FFP is £2.4m per year irrespective of when you pay for him. Lazy journalism?

It'll be a loan deal for a year as Mr_Maz says.  If it's got any link to FFP then I can only think it's to help Fulham's FFP position for the coming year.  I don't believe they've sold anyone for any serious money so far, and they would ideally want to keep the net transfer spend as close to zero as possible, as their wage bill will be higher than the parachute payments they receive.  If things don't go as they plan this season then they will probably sell players next summer, which would balance things out for FFP and also cash flow, so the transfer of Wilson then will be fine.

1 hour ago, ScarBoro said:

It’s up to both clubs to negotiate what the transfer fee is and when it is paid - it’s purely a commercial decision and normally the selling club is interested enough in getting cash in to refuse any extended terms over and above the norm. If Liverpool are prepared to accept the cash at a later date, then there is nothing to stop them.

the point is though that the timing of payment doesn’t normally affect FFP rules. You depreciate the players worth over the length of the contract - so if Wilson is going on a 5 year deal for £12m, say, then the cost for FFP is £2.4m per year irrespective of when you pay for him. Lazy journalism?

Surely depends how they account for the actual transfer fee payment, can’t remember if they put it through operating costs or not (and Cba to check right now). If the transfer fee is incurred in the P+L as it’s paid then there is definitely a FFP benefit to back ending payments. 

Under normal accounting standards for intangible assets, transfer fees are amortized on a straight-line basis over the period of the players’ contracts. This was how Derby got into trouble by assigning a residual value to reduce the annual amortized cost to the club. Let's say you are allowed to defer the payment, the costs would have to be assessed over a reduced period and therefore be higher in the out years, big risk if you don't succeed.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Boro Banker said:

Surely depends how they account for the actual transfer fee payment, can’t remember if they put it through operating costs or not (and Cba to check right now). If the transfer fee is incurred in the P+L as it’s paid then there is definitely a FFP benefit to back ending payments. 

I could be wrong but I'm not sure the actual accounting record would touch the P&L side (until the amortisation is accounted for). If they paid all £12m upfront the bank/cash account would take the hit, but you'd have an asset appear in the accounts. Even if they didn't pay for all £12m upfront they'd most likely record the asset in full and then have a liability account (Liverpool) which would be reduced if and when they paid (using the bank as the other side).

But as @ScarBorosays the amortisation (and the expense - P&L side) would still only show as the original cost split between the contract length in this instance £2.4m regardless of when they actually paid.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

I could be wrong but I'm not sure the actual accounting record would touch the P&L side (until the amortisation is accounted for). If they paid all £12m upfront the bank/cash account would take the hit, but you'd have an asset appear in the accounts. Even if they didn't pay for all £12m upfront they'd most likely record the asset in full and then have a liability account (Liverpool) which would be reduced if and when they paid (using the bank as the other side).

But as @ScarBorosays the amortisation (and the expense - P&L side) would still only show as the original cost split between the contract length in this instance £2.4m regardless of when they actually paid.

Yes you’re right, you capitalise the transfer fees so don’t touch the P+L, not sure how delaying the cash payments circumvents the FFP rules then. Presumably they are just looking to preserve cash as any club would do. 

• Like 1
  • Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""