• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

1 minute ago, wilsoncgp said:

I don't see why yesterday is a good judge of Dijksteel as a wing-back. He spent the most significant defensive moments of the game, i.e. the goals we conceded, on the other side of the pitch because of a man-marking system that pulled him out of position with nobody covering for him.

I think we learned more about why having your right wing-back man marking across the pitch in a 5 at the back system is dumb (or at least hard to do properly) than we did about Dijksteel individually in that position. I still think he was decent going forward.

at least why it's dumb to do when your forward doesn't come back to cover him. I still refuse to believe that there isn't meant to be someone dropping into his gap there.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

All this talk of us switching formation to match up whoever were playing... I really hate that. Were hoping to be one of the top 3 teams in the league, we need to be imposing our own style and you only get results from consistency. Can anyone name a team in any league that has finished as one of the 3 best teams that changes their whole set up based on their opponents?

433 or 4231 is very clearly our best option, everyone can see it - so let's work on it and make sure everyone knows their jobs inside and out. If we're good enough at our own jobs then it shouldn't matter what our opponents are doing. 

Seems like an incredibly arrogant take to me. There are very few teams world wide that stick to the same formation week in week out regardless of opposition. Are we really in a position to say that we’re A) competing for a top 3 position right now and B) good enough to compete for a top 3 position by imposing our will on the rest of the league?

The answer for me to both questions is a resounding no. That may change but right now, we’re no where close to that level of comfort.

• Like 2
Just now, Brunners said:

at least why it's dumb to do when your forward doesn't come back to cover him. I still refuse to believe that there isn't meant to be someone dropping into his gap there.

Aye, I completely agree with that. It didn't seem to be as much of a problem when we had Spence essentially playing wing-back in the 2nd half and Dijksteel just floating around the defence. But that means you arguably want 2 bloody wing-backs on one side just to allow you to have one of them man-marking and that seems dumb. Might as well be playing with 10 men half the time when you're on the counter.

• Like 1

The thing about Dijksteel playing as a Rwb is he seems to get forward okay but rarely puts a ball into the box, and if he does it lacks any real quality. I'd much prefer him as part of the back 3 and have someone more used to playing Rwb.

Another thing, although I do agree Bola has massively improved, his assists are a a bit shy for me. I think playing as a wing back you ought to be involved in providing a service for the strikers. Evidently, this was difficult last season as there was no target man, so i'd be hopeful Bola's stats in this area will improve now we have big Uche

34 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

From what I know we have only watched 2 strikers from abroad live.

1 which we turned away from because we were not impressed and didn't represent value for money. The other player is still ongoing but depends on outgoings such as Akpom for a fee.

Was I Sory Kaba we turned away from? And do you know what we were quoted if it was him? It’s become a bit of a transfer saga for Midtjylland as the player wants away so he’s not getting any game time but apparently the clubs isn’t getting any offers. 

• Like 1
Just now, BoroJake said:

Not at all. Reckon we’ll need to be very busy in the transfer window

I'm hoping one way we might be able to convince Muniz to sign is by bringing Lazaro in too as a winger, solving 2 problems at once. But then maybe we'll need to sell McNair. 😅

3 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

No, but that is in response to the question whether Ameobi would be ready for Fulham.

I don't think even the most optimistic of us would have expected him to feature after no preseason. If he's ready by mid September, that's not too bad. Obviously if it's much worse than we know, it's a bigger issue. 

• Like 1
  • Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""