oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

8 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

No mate, but the season in question we had ayala, Gibson, Kalas, r Williams as well as woodgate. We also had fry coming through and de laet who could play CB from January. We also only played 2 centre backs.  

and this year we'll have Fry, Hall, McNair, Dijksteel, Peltier, Bola and probably one of Bryan/Brown all ahead of Bamba.

• Like 1
  • Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

As per the above, look at our list of defenders and the fact we're looking at another 1 or 2. I don't see why anyone would look at this potential signing and think he's gonna be playing unless we have a huge crisis.

Well I have no problem if we bring in a really solid CB that would compete for the 1st team spot as presumably he'll be on a pittance

I haven't seen much of Brown or Bryan but apparently they're more LBs who can play CB, I'd rather us keep Coulson around and bring a solid out and out CB in personally 

4 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I just don't think Warnock is sat there thinking Bamba is first or second to be called in in case of a crisis right now. He won't play him if the others are available, he's there for big emergencies and probably for cup games where he won't want to play the first team players and would mostly be there on a super low budget contract to help around the squad.

This is how I'm viewing it as well. I know you were allowed to name a larger matchday squad last season, but it was pretty common that every fit player we had was involved. This year I'm hoping we have enough depth that we can actually afford to leave players out altogether, and only call on them when we need to. If we sign Bamba, this is where I imagine he'd fit in.  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Brunners said:

and this year we'll have Fry, Hall, McNair, Dijksteel, Peltier, Bola and probably one of Bryan/Brown all ahead of Bamba.

Say we lose dijksteel to injury and fry gets suspended for 3 games. Were playing someone who plays 3 at the back so we want to match up. 

Immediately were looking at 

Peltier hall McNair bamba Bola (assuming Spence is sold and fishers injury is as bad as it seems)

A back 5 with a 34 year old and a 36 year old who haven't been playing. With no one on the bench. We might well sign another but for right now, that's not the case. Who's to say bamba isn't the back up to one of those other signings if they don't go through and he's the only one we end up with? That's what I'm worried about.

It's all hypotheticals for now, but I don't see the value of someone who can't step in and be an able deputy long term if things go wrong. 

1 minute ago, Neverbefore said:

Say we lose dijksteel to injury and fry gets suspended for 3 games. Were playing someone who plays 3 at the back so we want to match up. 

Peltier hall McNair bamba Bola (assuming Spence is sold and fishers injury is as bad as it seems)

A back 5 with a 34 year old and a 36 year old who haven't been playing. With no one on the bench. We might well sign another but for right now, that's not the case. Who's to say bamba isn't the back up to one of those other signings if they don't go through and he's the only one we end up with? That's what I'm worried about.

It's all hypotheticals for now, but I don't see the value of someone who can't step in and be an able deputy long term if things go wrong. 

you're more likely looking at 

Peltier - Hall - McNair - Brown/Bryan - Bola

Just now, Brunners said:

you're more likely looking at 

Peltier - Hall - McNair - Brown/Bryan - Bola

Like I said, neither of them have signed, bamba could well be considered an alternative rather than an addition. Well have to see what the makeup of the squad is at the end of the window.

3 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

There's a lot of assumptions you're making there though, mate. 1 player being sold and not replaced, 1 specific player being injured and another suspended. You know how I said big emergencies? Huge crisis? This is that scenario.

I don't see why we'd sell Spence and not replace him, either, really. He's played a lot in pre-season. Peltier was Fisher's cover apparently so I'd think Spence would be replaced.

2 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Like I said, neither of them have signed, bamba could well be considered an alternative rather than an addition. Well have to see what the makeup of the squad is at the end of the window.

Okay so my assumption that we'll sign one isn't allowed, but your end of the world assumptions are fine? 

At the end of the day if what you're suggesting happens, that's a freaking unfortunate crisis that might cause Bamba to have to play, yes. The likelihood of all of those things happening seems incredibly low.

2 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

There's a lot of assumptions you're making there though, mate. 1 player being sold and not replaced, 1 specific player being injured and another suspended. You know how I said big emergencies? Huge crisis? This is that scenario.

I don't see why we'd sell Spence and not replace him, either, really. He's played a lot in pre-season. Peltier was Fisher's cover apparently so I'd think Spence would be replaced.

I'd assume Spence would be replaced by a winger though - that's where he played most of the back end of last season. We have peltier and dijksteel as right backs, so I don't think we're getting any more cover there. 

But anyway, yeah I'm making a lot of assumptions and I don't have as big a problem with bamba being signed if he's only going to be used in a crisis. Problem is, for the squad to get into a position where that is the case we will need to sign at least 2, maybe 3 that are better than him. 

2 players being unavailable from a defence is not unfathomable, we missed fry and dijksteel at the end of last season, hall was out for a huge chunk, Bola is injured now, fisher is out long term- all it takes is a couple of those to happen at the same time and were in trouble.

2 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Okay so my assumption that we'll sign one isn't allowed, but your end of the world assumptions are fine? 

At the end of the day if what you're suggesting happens, that's a freaking unfortunate crisis that might cause Bamba to have to play, yes. The likelihood of all of those things happening seems incredibly low.

It's not low. See my response to Wilson because I couldn't be bothered typing it out again. Getting 2 or 3 injuries at that end of the pitch is a frequent occurrence for us.

Just now, Neverbefore said:

It's not low. See my response to Wilson because I couldn't be bothered typing it out again. Getting 2 or 3 injuries at that end of the pitch is a frequent occurrence for us.

I don't understand you man. You'll take literally anything as a chance to bash the club and NW, including a *** depth CB signing who is going to be something like 5th or 6th choice at the club. Absolutely unreal.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
1 hour ago, Mr_Maz said:

who said anything about unqualified, maybe they are.... it's all rumour and conjecture for now. not worth getting wound up about it........yet

You have been on the oneBoro forum before, haven’t you? 😂

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

I'd assume Spence would be replaced by a winger though - that's where he played most of the back end of last season. We have peltier and dijksteel as right backs, so I don't think we're getting any more cover there. 

But anyway, yeah I'm making a lot of assumptions and I don't have as big a problem with bamba being signed if he's only going to be used in a crisis. Problem is, for the squad to get into a position where that is the case we will need to sign at least 2, maybe 3 that are better than him. 

2 players being unavailable from a defence is not unfathomable, we missed fry and dijksteel at the end of last season, hall was out for a huge chunk, Bola is injured now, fisher is out long term- all it takes is a couple of those to happen at the same time and were in trouble.

I don't think we'll replace Spence with an out-and-out winger if we're playing with wing-backs half the season, though. He's one of those players that Warnock will like simply for him being able to defend as well as attack, whether he sees him as a good player or not.

Even just looking back on the York City game, the difference in the 2nd half when Spence was playing out wide when we were defending was really noticeable, they didn't get in down the left as often if at all in the 2nd half from my recollection because he was doing the job I presume Paterson or Crooks were meant to be doing in the first half and didn't do very well. I could see a scenario with maybe a Kebano-like player playing at wing-back instead of Peltier. He played there once or twice IIRC last season?

Still, I think we're worst off right now losing a Watmore or a Tav to injury than we are a couple of defenders, even assuming we only signed Bamba. I sincerely doubt Bamba is an alternative to Bryan or Brown though, mate.

• Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""