• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Changing Times said:

What was it the other night?  'Can you just stop it for once please' 🙄

no no, just an hour or so after that he said Payero deal BACK ON so he's all covered now.

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Brunners said:

no no, just an hour or so after that he said Payero deal BACK ON so he's all covered now.

Yeah I know.  Amazing how quick these things can turn around 🤦‍♂️

29 minutes ago, RiversideRed said:

I really rate Tavernier. Think on his day he's one of the best players in the league.

Aye, which would make him not keeping himself in good shape a huge shame. Lad's got the world at his feet if he looks after himself.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

The Rotherham tweet criticising Warnock going mad on the sideline looks in bad taste now.

To be fair the lads on the radio didn't think there was much in the challenge at the time.

5 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

To be fair the lads on the radio didn't think there was much in the challenge at the time.

Yeah, but they often haven't got a clue what's happened anyway.

Probably busy describing the colour of the seating when he was injured.

• Haha 1
41 minutes ago, RiversideRed said:

I really rate Tavernier. Think on his day he's one of the best players in the league.

Think he is our best player and also most important. However, imo he needs to increase his goals contributions (goals and assists) to be considered one of the best players in the league. He has the potential and I’m always hoping that one season it will ‘click’ with him and he can get double figures for both. Prob won’t do that in our team though.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Watching it live, i thought it was a 50:50 challenge tbh. But then again, there's probably a reason why I'm not asked to ref games from 60 yards away while I'm half cut. 

• Haha 1
Just now, IPB86 said:

Watching it live, i thought it was a 50:50 challenge tbh. But then again, there's probably a reason why I'm not asked to ref games from 60 yards away while I'm half cut. 

You'd get more decisions correct and make the other refs look bad?

• Haha 1
27 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

Think he is our best player and also most important. However, imo he needs to increase his goals contributions (goals and assists) to be considered one of the best players in the league. He has the potential and I’m always hoping that one season it will ‘click’ with him and he can get double figures for both. Prob won’t do that in our team though.

This has always been my feelings with Tav. You can see he has bags of ability, he has a cracking left foot, is a good finisher and plenty of energy to get about the pitch. He always seems to be playing within himself to me however, and sometimes lets games pass him by, he should be aiming for double figures in terms of goals and assists with the ability he has but he can't keep himself fit and I think he lacks a little on the mental side, as others have mentioned. 

Stats obviously don't tell the full story of a player and his impact on the team but if we were linked with an attacking player who scores 1 in 9 with a very sketchy injury record people would be rightly concerned. 

Big season ahead of Tav, needs to stamp his authority on the team and the league. 

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, boksicdink said:

I'm not stuck in the 90s for basically saying you should draw the comparison between the two owners for a larger period than the one small sample that suits your argument. 

Apart from Burnley and Brentford, the other clubs all have billionaire owners so I dont think you can use them as a direct comparison. 

I genuinely think that Gibson isnt stuck "in the 1990s" either. He had the foresight to make the academy the focal point of the club in the early 2000s, which has become the most common way that similar sized clubs stay afloat to this day. We were at the forefront of that strategy. 

I'm not entirely disagreeing with your point, I do think the Brentford model is the model we are now looking to copy and should copy and at least Gibson is trying to implement that. 

I know we've agreed in the past that we just lurch from footballing style from one manager to the next but I think he has right this time and all this "we deserve better" stuff is ridiculous.

I do find your constant anti-Steve Gibson stuff and this idea that he is meddling really strange. If he is like that, then why has he got such a good reputation with managers?

I also dont think im making those types of fans up, read some of the comments on this forum...

It's not because it suits my argument, it's because that's not my argument. We've steadily declined for the past 15 years so what happened between 25 and 15 years ago is irrelevant to me. We have a fundamental problem that needs fixing. All I care about is Gibson addressing this and being able to hand over power to a high quality director of football like Delia Smith did in 2017. If it really means that much to you then I can say that Gibson done better than Delia Smith between 15 and 25 years ago, but, again, that's not my argument.

I don't see any of them club's achievements as being beyond what we can realistically achieve. I will never criticise Gibson for not spending enough. However, what I do take issue with is when we spend money, we generally waste it as it's not spent with any sort of long-term vision or overall strategy. It's in them circumstances that I no longer give him credit as it's just absolutely needless waste.

He doesn't have a good reputation with all managers. Managers generally praise their chairman in public. McClaren and Gibson didn't get on too well as Gibson felt McClaren was looking for the next move. Gibson went over Mowbray's head to sign Woodgate. There's the power battles with Karanka and Orta, over the signings of Downing and Rhodes. He sued Monk. It's probably normal business for the chairman to evert this sort of control in traditional English clubs, but them sorts of things do not fit into the modern way football clubs run with a long-term strategy.

• Like 3
  • Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""