• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned on here, amongst all the Star Wars stuff, but Ciaron Brown of Cardiff is out for up to a month, injured. It explains why he didn’t appear in Carabao Cup game. Either means he’s odds on to come here, or  we will have moved on to other targets - maybe why we’ve been reported as interested in Guinness- Walker?

8 minutes ago, newyddion said:

The point I would like to make is the TWO main positions we need to replace and improve on only brought in 11ish goals, the bar is set quite low in my opinion and I don’t see it as an impossible task to replace the contributions from Britt and Johnson.

That's kinda the point though, isn't it?  The bar is set quite low, if we are just compared to last season, but compared to what we might need to actually challenge for the top six, the improvement we will likely need is going to be greater than that.

So as an example, We scored 55 goals last season, and conceded 53.  As a general rule that isn't good enough to win promotion.  On the odd occasion something similar has been able to get it done (Huddersfield 2016/17, 56 for 58 against) but usually it's not enough.  Barnsley finished 5th last season with 58/50 but obviously couldn't get further than that.

So we've lost Assombalonga, Fletcher, Bolasie, Saville, Johnson, Kebano, Mendez-Laing, Wing.  That's 22 goals.  Browne and Akpom add another 7 from last season and aren't likely to be involved much so that's 29 goals.  They've been replaced currently by Crooks, Ikpeazu, Payero and Jones with hopefully another few to follow. They don't only need to replace 29 goals, they really need to add another 20 on top of that, so now we're looking for close to 50 goals from Crooks, Ikpeazu, Payero, Jones, and whoever else ends up coming in.  That's assuming everything else stays roughly the same such as defensive record, and goals from other players.

Of course you can improve your defensive record to make yourself a better team, but at the moment we can't say we've done that.  Maybe Lumley improves us a bit or maybe he doesn't but it's difficult to look at our other additions and say with any certainty that we're a better team as it stands.  More depth at the back perhaps but not more quality, and no improvement to defensive midfield either.

We're looking to find about 20 goals from somewhere this season, either from scoring more or conceding fewer, but that's additional goals, not simply replacing those we've lost as players have moved on.  I'm optimistic in the sense that I believe we should end up being more effective this season than last but we've got some work to do in order to get to that point.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

That's kinda the point though, isn't it?  The bar is set quite low, if we are just compared to last season, but compared to what we might need to actually challenge for the top six, the improvement we will likely need is going to be greater than that.

So as an example, We scored 55 goals last season, and conceded 53.  As a general rule that isn't good enough to win promotion.  On the odd occasion something similar has been able to get it done (Huddersfield 2016/17, 56 for 58 against) but usually it's not enough.  Barnsley finished 5th last season with 58/50 but obviously couldn't get further than that.

So we've lost Assombalonga, Fletcher, Bolasie, Saville, Johnson, Kebano, Mendez-Laing, Wing.  That's 22 goals.  Browne and Akpom add another 7 from last season and aren't likely to be involved much so that's 29 goals.  They've been replaced currently by Crooks, Ikpeazu, Payero and Jones with hopefully another few to follow. They don't only need to replace 29 goals, they really need to add another 20 on top of that, so now we're looking for close to 50 goals from Crooks, Ikpeazu, Payero, Jones, and whoever else ends up coming in.  That's assuming everything else stays roughly the same such as defensive record, and goals from other players.

Of course you can improve your defensive record to make yourself a better team, but at the moment we can't say we've done that.  Maybe Lumley improves us a bit or maybe he doesn't but it's difficult to look at our other additions and say with any certainty that we're a better team as it stands.  More depth at the back perhaps but not more quality, and no improvement to defensive midfield either.

We're looking to find about 20 goals from somewhere this season, either from scoring more or conceding fewer, but that's additional goals, not simply replacing those we've lost as players have moved on.  I'm optimistic in the sense that I believe we should end up being more effective this season than last but we've got some work to do in order to get to that point.

Howay CT, man - I don't see one Star Wars pun in there... 

As efforts go that's prequel level.

51 minutes ago, newyddion said:

They’re in a bit of a bad way financially Inter Milan financially.

..still can’t believe that little meff chose Fulham over Boro!!

Good thing you are big enough to not act all bitter

48 minutes ago, ScarBoro said:

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned on here, amongst all the Star Wars stuff, but Ciaron Brown of Cardiff is out for up to a month, injured. It explains why he didn’t appear in Carabao Cup game. Either means he’s odds on to come here, or  we will have moved on to other targets - maybe why we’ve been reported as interested in Guinness- Walker?

Yeah, Guinness-Walker is our new hope.

2 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Yeah, Guinness-Walker is our new hope.

I feckin love Guinness and the oul Walker crisps aren’t the worst either 😃

1 minute ago, CrazyL said:

I have been told that there is a potential new signing staying at Rockcliffe, but as usual my tittle tattle is far too flaky to stretch to an actual name. 

I'll settle for flaky need some news after that shower of ***

7 minutes ago, CrazyL said:

I have been told that there is a potential new signing staying at Rockcliffe, but as usual my tittle tattle is far too flaky to stretch to an actual name. 

Did he turn up in a big MintBox Removals van by any chance?

• Haha 3
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""
  • Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""