oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

Let's try and find more than that from somewhere, so we can stop playing at this level.

We tried that under Woodgate but our pesky chairman sacked him and brought in Warnock to stop it happening.

• Haha 1
  • Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

Hugill is no better than Ikpeazu would be a totally pointless signing imo, he’s another one who if wasn’t from the area would never get brought up as a potential signing.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Boromadman said:

bbc sports have us paying 2.5 mill for Bidwell of swansea . Would rather have kept coulson and kept the money for another position 

It's just the Sun link, that says we would have to pay 2.5 to sign him, not that we are going to.

5 hours ago, LinoJo3 said:

Hugill is no better than Ikpeazu would be a totally pointless signing imo, he’s another one who if wasn’t from the area would never get brought up as a potential signing.

I disagree with this. He's primarily getting brought up because Warnock likes a big physical centre forward and regardless of what happened whilst he was here, he has scored a decent amount of goals in teams that actually supplied him with anything.

It's interesting as if we look back at the season he was here, Britt scored a fair few more but his xG was significantly higher too, both of them actually scored their rounded down xG across the season. It's a relatively simplistic view I'll admit (takes out the individual's effect on their own xG) but you could argue had Hugill been supplied with the same number and quality of chances as Britt, he'd have scored a similar number of goals.

I think he'd fit with what we want this season relatively well. Yeah, maybe we can do better but if all other pursuits fail, a loan for Hugill wouldn't be the worst fallback plan.

• Like 3
49 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I disagree with this. He's primarily getting brought up because Warnock likes a big physical centre forward and regardless of what happened whilst he was here, he has scored a decent amount of goals in teams that actually supplied him with anything.

It's interesting as if we look back at the season he was here, Britt scored a fair few more but his xG was significantly higher too, both of them actually scored their rounded down xG across the season. It's a relatively simplistic view I'll admit (takes out the individual's effect on their own xG) but you could argue had Hugill been supplied with the same number and quality of chances as Britt, he'd have scored a similar number of goals.

I think he'd fit with what we want this season relatively well. Yeah, maybe we can do better but if all other pursuits fail, a loan for Hugill wouldn't be the worst fallback plan.

One of my concerns with Hugill is his fitness, he tends to get some bad injuries. With our squad depth slim as is we might not want to gamble with some one like that?

Hugill didn’t do brilliantly for Norwich lash season - how many games and goals? Wasn’t brilliant for us in a system similar to what we have now. I’d be very disappointed if we got him back, we should be looking for better. 

32 minutes ago, Skinemrippers said:

Hugill didn’t do brilliantly for Norwich lash season - how many games and goals? Wasn’t brilliant for us in a system similar to what we have now. I’d be very disappointed if we got him back, we should be looking for better. 

He barely played for them because Teemu Pukki started virtually every game.

Played 674 minutes across the full season, equivelent to 7 games, and scored 4 goals.

He did very well for QPR the season before though.

• Like 1

I’m not a huge Hugill fan and wouldn’t be overly fussed about him coming back but if he did I know he’d give every match 100% which wouldn’t be a bad thing.

For me though, where we have lacked in the past few years is to do with matching our playing style to our strikers.  We don’t play to their strengths.  I’m not a performance analyst but I know that last season Ivan Toney didn’t score from outside of the box. Now I know Brentford are an attacking team but regardless of that if I was manager of Brentford I would be finding ways to get the ball into the box for Toney,and maximising the type of chances he has the highest on target/goal stats for.  

We seem to set up with lots of players that are 7’s every week in the managers head. Those that should win more than 50% of duels. Yes you want to win more balls than you lose but in the opponents half we lack creativity and what good is winning the ball more times than you lose it if you can’t create.  

So in my opinion, yes we need a striker but we need one that we can provide the crosses/passes/through balls - whatever he needs in order to create good chances. We need to be looking for a Player who unlocks defences but unfortunately it doesn’t seem to suit our recent managers and they aren’t that easy to find!

2 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

The xG just shows to me that Britt had much better movement and found himself in better positions. I wouldn't be opposed to Hugill for the right price, I think he'd do much better in a Warnock system where he's trying to press high up the pitch than in his previous stint. I'd have him behind Uche but Warnock keeps bringing him off to try and keep him fresh for the season and our bench is very sparse behind him.

Still talking about Hugill😵 The lad is not good enough and not worth the money.

We really need a breakthrough soon as we are very light in numbers in the final third of the pitch. Saw some Leeds fans saying the other day that the club should look to offload Costa, as he doesn't seem like the player who can take them further. Could he be an option for the wing? Quality at this level.

• Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""
  • Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""