oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

2 minutes ago, Brunners said:

and doesn't really make sense from their point of view though does it? A player you've said yourself they want rid of; who they're very likely to get back unless he hits some very specific targets.

Yeah, but they can't get rid of him because nobody will give them the money that they want, which I would imagine is at least what they've paid for him.  So this way they get him off their books on loan, and potentially get a fee in excess of what they paid.  It's certainly not ideal from their point of view but it's the only way they are likely to get what they want.

• Like 1
  • Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

II think that generally fans have a reasonable idea of the level of player they are watching.  Sometimes allowances aren't made for age and development, but usually if the comments about a player are universally bad then the player probably isn't a great signing. 

Brentford seem to agree. Part of their scouting system is looking at forums.

3 minutes ago, Brunners said:

and doesn't really make sense from their point of view though does it? A player you've said yourself they want rid of; who they're very likely to get back unless he hits some very specific targets.

We hold the aces though. Even if he doesn’t hit those targets and just do moderately well they will think they can get an ok fee for him. If there is no interest at all currently this might just be their best bet to put him in the window. It has to be “and”. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

I do get that, it had seemed inevitable from the second we lost that play-off semi-final.

But you could argue we didn't have a choice in selling Bamford either.

We'd just signed Assombalonga for £15m on daft wages, Braithwaite for £8-9m on daft wages when he'd never done anything of note, and then we had Bamford for £6m on less daft wages.

He was the only sellable asset.

Ignore Gestede, he ruins any argument in that regard.

Well if you remember, we flogged Bamford, Traore and Gibson that summer.  And if the ITK types were to be believed, that would have suited our manager down to the ground kerrrccchinnngggg.

• Like 1
Just now, newyddion said:

We turned down a £6m offer for Gestede from Leeds apparently (the summer after relegation) How different things could have been!!

That can't have been true cos nobody would be daft enough to do that.  Nobody.  Nobody.

Nobody nobody nobody nobody.

Nobody.

• Haha 4
9 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I think that generally fans have a reasonable idea of the level of player they are watching.  Sometimes allowances aren't made for age and development, but usually if the comments about a player are universally bad then the player probably isn't a great signing.  In terms of this guy, he's struggled since he moved there, so their opinion will not be that high.  What matters to us is whether there are reasons for this that aren't to do with ability, cos if it is just ability then he will probably not do that well here as well.  If however it's the move to Portugal, style of play, or something else, then he could turn out to be good.  Their fans would look wrong from that point of view but of course they are only judging him based on what he's done in a Sporting shirt.

Could just be an agenda, I think Sporar is one of their several attempts to replace Bas Dost so could be frustrations related to that blinding their view of Sporar

Same thing for wages and facial expressions about Britt on here, would think he's never scored a goal the way people go on but he has a 1 in 3 championship record 

Edited by LBP
Replied to the wrong comment
  • Like 1
Just now, LBP said:

Could just be an agenda, I think Sporar is one of their several attempts to replace Bas Dost so could be frustrations related to that blinding their view of Sporar

Same thing for wages and facial expressions about Britt on here, would think he's never scored a goal the way people go on but he has a 1 in 3 championship record 

(I think you're actually talking about their fans views of him rather than the post you replied to?)

The agenda would be backed up by the form, at least to a certain extent.  It's always a difficult situation for anyone to replace a good player/crowd favourite, we all know that.  But Sporar's form hasn't really looked that good, and being loaned out quite soon after joining probably illustrates that he has been struggling there.  This is what the fans see.  From some of those comments earlier, they weren't actually all terrible as some suggested he had something about him but he just wasn't scoring goals.  If they were simply saying he was a donkey then there would be more concern about him I guess.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, newyddion said:

We turned down a £6m offer for Gestede from Leeds apparently (the summer after relegation) How different things could have been!!

When was that during that summer? If it was after the first couple of games, I can see how that happened.

If I remember rightly, Gestede started up top on the left of Monk's front 3 as Braithwaite was injured? And Fletcher got dropped immediately after the first 45 minutes at Wolves.

And he actually started relatively well. Everyone was surprised. He scored our first goal that season in a good performance at home to Sheffield United.

1 minute ago, wilsoncgp said:

When was that during that summer? If it was after the first couple of games, I can see how that happened.

If I remember rightly, Gestede started up top on the left of Monk's front 3 as Braithwaite was injured? And Fletcher got dropped immediately after the first 45 minutes at Wolves.

And he actually started relatively well. Everyone was surprised. He scored our first goal that season in a good performance at home to Sheffield United.

It wasn't really a good performance, and from memory he didn't play well.  Also, it's Rudy Gestede FFS!

By the way, Gestede up top on the left, absolutely mental 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1
Just now, uncle_rico said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/12383403/chelsea-transfer-news-michy-batshuayi-close-to-joining-besiktas-on-season-long-loan

Looks like this one is about to be finalised and probably now means they won’t be wanting Akpom.

Queue gazette article about Apkom getting COVID twice but now he is over it he has come back a different striker 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I really like the look of Sporar. Looks a very solid all round striker who is good at finding half a yard to get a shot off. His statistics look very promising too, especially considering he's playing at a high level.

- 2020-2021: 9 goals from 16.06 xG (expected goals)

- 2019-2020: 28 goals from 22.14 xG

- 2018-19: 36 goals from 32.3 xG

- 2017-18: 8 goals from 7.34 xG

He has massively under-performed his expected goals in the past season, so this is going to cloud Sporting Lisbon's fans opinions. However, he massively outperformed his expected goals in the two seasons previously, so this has probably made his underperformance in the past season feel even more severe. He could have had personal problems in the past season for a multitude of reasons, especially playing without fans during the strange Covid times. If he was still on fire banging in 36 and 28 goals a season in Portugal's top division then we'd have absolutely no chance of signing him, so we need to understand that his dip last season is the only reason we have a chance to sign him. A transfer and a return to full attendances cheering him on might be just what he needs to reignite his form.

• Like 5

I don't see a way back for Akpom at us, although I don't mind him honestly - he hasn't really been given a fair chance imo 

Didn't someone say he might be going back to PAOK on loan? 

On the winger front, Hedges left the pitch on crutches in his last match hamstring injury apparently 

I do hope we're focusing on the creativity front as much as we are strikers, we've already made that mistake in 2017 

• Like 1
  • Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""