oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

1 minute ago, Brunners said:

You're doing that thing again where you frame your opinion as fact. You didn't say "you think" at all, you said:

This is your opinion, which is fine - it's a perfectly valid opinion and one I'm sure plenty of people might agree with.

But it's not fact, which is how you've phrased it above. You do this a lot, your opinion = the right one and is therefore fact. 

Where did he even win player of the year?

Paddy McNair won ours on here & on the Boro site.

Bola came 3rd on here (8 votes) and 2nd in the official one (14.7%).

And you are doing that thing where you get argumentative all of the time, whilst trying to pretend you are the one being reasonable.

Of course it was an opinion, if I present something as fact I tend to provide some actual evidence of it, which is why I often use stats and data.  I would have thought it was clear that I was stating my opinion of something by the fact that I was writing it on here, and clearly talking about something that couldn't definitively be proven one way or another?  Do I really need to add 'in my opinion' to everything that's an opinion for you to be able to tell the difference?  You aren't stupid so please don't act like you are whenever it suits you to do so.

I don't know where he won player of the year.  I think the idea was that he was some people's player of the year, and my OPINION, is that part of that is based on how poor he was the season before.  When people make an improvement, especially from a low point, it stands out more IN MY OPINION.

Is that ok?

• Like 1
  • Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

No, I just really don't think people were over-rating his performances under Warnock because he was poor in the 7 games he played at the start of the previous season under a different manager.

And I think that some people were.  So we have a difference of opinion, and that's totally fine right?

2 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

And you are doing that thing where you get argumentative all of the time, whilst trying to pretend you are the one being reasonable.

Of course it was an opinion, if I present something as fact I tend to provide some actual evidence of it, which is why I often use stats and data.  I would have thought it was clear that I was stating my opinion of something by the fact that I was writing it on here, and clearly talking about something that couldn't definitively be proven one way or another?  Do I really need to add 'in my opinion' to everything that's an opinion for you to be able to tell the difference?  You aren't stupid so please don't act like you are whenever it suits you to do so.

I don't know where he won player of the year.  I think the idea was that he was some people's player of the year, and my OPINION, is that part of that is based on how poor he was the season before.  When people make an improvement, especially from a low point, it stands out more IN MY OPINION.

Is that ok?

you literally said "he won the player of the year award"

He did not.

And yes; you always intentionally frame things as facts and make definitive statements about them. 

It's okay though, I accept your apology.

2 minutes ago, Brunners said:

you literally said "he won the player of the year award"

He did not.

And yes; you always intentionally frame things as facts and make definitive statements about them

It's okay though, I accept your apology.

In your opinion 😉

• Haha 1
Just now, LBP said:

In your opinion 😉

No that one is actually a fact, you only need to look through his history of comments to see a repeating pattern, this being the latest one.

1 hour ago, Brunners said:

What's the source for that fact?

I have seen the email , showing time , date and sender. His teammate at Bratislava was also reccomended 

I have seen the email from the sender , with time and date on. His teammate at Bratislava , Holman was also reccomended.

47 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

To make a comparison, Friend at his best for us was quite a bit ahead of where Bola is right now.

True, Bola is nowhere near Friend at his peak. 

Our recruitment has definitely had a dual approach this summer. Under the first arm of this, Warnock signed his "typical Warnock" type, value for money signings that fit his system, and then there has been a second arm which was targeting Payero and others from foreign leagues such as Sporar. I questioned this dual approach to recruitment in June as it clearly wasn't Warnock directing this second approach. As Scott's impending arrival as our Head of Football coincided with this second arm to our recruitment, it's certainly logical to connect him with this. It being anyone else other that Scott behind it would be absolutely illogical, and disjointed from the whole logic behind us appointing Scott in the first place. It will help Scott to get some signings in before he officially starts and allows us to smooth the transition to the new approach from next season onwards.

Whilst Scott is still officially under contract at Norwich until he starts here in September, he hasn't been involved in Norwich's summer transfer business since our talks with him broke earlier in the summer and he's long-term friends with Norwich's Sporting Director, Stuart Webber, so I can imagine that there's going to be some goodwill there. At the moment, us and Norwich aren't direct rivals and, generally speaking, we're buying players of different standards as they're Premier League and we're Championship. If Norwich really want a player then we can't exactly compete with them, so I don't think Norwich will be particularly concerned about them missing out key targets due to him being involved here before September.

Edited by p_mards
  • Like 6
4 minutes ago, p_mards said:

Our recruitment has definitely had a dual approach this summer. Under the first arm of this, Warnock signed his "typical Warnock" type, value for money signings that fit his system, and then there has been a second arm which was targeting Payero and others from foreign leagues such as Sporar. I questioned this dual approach to recruitment in June as it clearly wasn't Warnock directing this second approach. As Scott's impending arrival as our Head of Football coincided with this second arm to our recruitment, it's certainly logical to connect him with this. It being anyone else other that Scott behind it would be absolutely illogical, and disjointed from the whole logic behind us appointing Scott in the first place. It will help Scott to get some signings in before he officially starts and allows us to smooth the transition to the new approach from next season onwards.

Whilst Scott is still officially under contract at Norwich until he starts here in September, he hasn't been involved in Norwich's summer transfer business since our talks with him broke earlier in the summer and he's long-term friends with Norwich's Sporting Director, Stuart Webber, so I can imagine that there's going to be some goodwill there. At the moment, us and Norwich aren't direct rivals and, generally speaking, we're buying players of different standards as they're Premier League and we're Championship. If Norwich really want a player then we can't exactly compete with them, so I don't think Norwich will be particularly concerned about then missing out key targets due to him being involved here before September.

My thoughts entirely. 

4 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Lovely to see loads more bickering……..not

Don't worry, you'll see me and CT bicker all the time.

But it's only because I care so much, I'm his number 1 fan you see.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Don't worry, you'll see me and CT bicker all the time.

But it's only because I care so much, I'm his number 1 fan you see.

The amount of bickering you pair do the make up sex must be incredible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Wow 1
Just now, Duvel said:

True, Bola is nowhere near Friend at his peak. 

I agree, though it's probably also fair to say that last season, we as a team were nowhere near what we were when Friend was at his peak either. 

There's 2 things being talked about here too. Bola was my player of the season last year, he wasn't everybody's but he was mine and a few others. I do think he was really good. But that doesn't mean he's the best left-back in the division now or then, that's a comparison between him and his fellow left-backs as opposed to him and his colleagues.

Even voting for him as our player of the season last year isn't really saying an awful lot, is it haha. We weren't great last season on the whole. But there are all sorts of reasons people will award a player as player of the season. Some people voted for Dael Fry, Marcus Tavernier or Duncan Watmore, I presume because they were relatively good when they were fit and available but I personally didn't put them into contention myself because they missed quite a few games. Paddy played every game, Bola wasn't far behind so I think my choice was pretty much between those two and I felt Bola was more consistent throughout the season than Paddy was.

• Like 1
  • Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""