oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

1 minute ago, macapes said:

If you consistently expect the worst at least you are never disappointed.

Being excited about new players with potential is all part of the fun. 

I don't constantly expect the worst though, I think we'll be fairly comfortable 8th-12th this season again and we'll see some good performances and some bad ones! Just don't expect us to make it to the play offs with the squad and manager we currently have, that's hardly expecting the worst.

I've said numerous times that I'm looking forward to seeing how our players develop this season and how we shake things up next summer and that I'm feeling a lot more positive about boros future than any time since monk, yet the second I say something I deem realism I get jumped on every time. It's just a tad ridiculous at this point. 

• Like 3
  • Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

The point is that we had better options then and we still didn't do anything with them, so talk of our wide positions being sorted are premature imo, that's all I'm saying. But yet again I get jumped on immedaitely for being negative when I'm just being realistic. 

Where did I say you were negative? I think you make a good point, I was just weighing up their effect

18 minutes ago, newyddion said:

Warnock highlighted the massive area of concern last season which was if we had Tavernier injured.. there was NOBODY in the squad to replace him. That issue is being rectified across the squad now, two good players for every position.

In midfield Tavernier and Payero play very similar roles.. most folks can see that he may not necessarily be dropped straight all singing all dancing kung fu fighting machine. When he is fully up to speed he will one hell of an option to have in the side if his argentinian stats can carry over to the english game.  

A fit Tavernier and an upto speed Payero will cause teams countless problems. add into the mix Crookes who is frightening at this level and Morsy and we're going for gold imo.

I agree with all of that, but if Tav and  Payero are our most creative players then surely we must find a way to integrate both of them in the side

18 minutes ago, pikerman said:

I agree with all of that, but if Tav and  Payero are our most creative players then surely we must find a way to integrate both of them in the side

Depends if they perform essentially the same kind of role.

If you put both in the side, it might be at the expense of weakening us in other areas. Also depends on the formation, opposition etc. Could be like trying to play Gerrard and Lampard in the same team. 

In any case, given Tav's injury record, Payero should see a decent amount of action. Or even just as a precaution to make sure Marcus doesn't suffer burnout.

1 hour ago, Neverbefore said:

I don't think any of the wingers we have signed/are signing are better than either kebano or bolasie (happy to be proved wrong by the dutch lad). We've basically replaced those two very good championship wingers with unknown quantities so I'm not sure why people are getting carried away (again). 

Happens every time we make a signing. Everyone put all the new players into there dream starting 11 and thinks its amazing. I’ve seen people dropping Crooks in there 11’s who been our best player past two games with 2 goals.

Imo we are still weaker attacking wise then we were last year. I used to get carried away with every new signing but I’ve seen too many ‘good’, ‘exciting’ signings turn out *** and then forgotten about 6 months down the line.

Like NB, I’m holding judgement and not getting overly excited. We hadn’t even heard of the Dutch lad and Sporar before we were linked with them. Hopefully they turn out great 🤞🏼

Edited by BoroSmoggie
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

Imo we are still weaker attacking wise then we were last year. I used to get carried away with every new signing but I’ve seen too many ‘good’, ‘exciting’ signings turn out *** and then forgotten about 6 months down the line.

Not sure I really agree.

From last August, in the striker/winger areas we've lost Assombalonga, Fletcher, Johnson and Roberts.

Obviously Sporar could turn out to be a bag of ***, and then we're a bit short in the striker department, but I don't think those 4 were particularly hard to replace, especially not with Assombalonga's total lack of effort last season.

We might be a bit weaker on paper than the end of last January, but it's not January.

18 minutes ago, newyddion said:

Toyosi 'Mr T' Olusanya - grew up on the same street as Isaiah Jones! They've known each other for years apparently! 

I'm convinced he's the one that Warnock said he'd have tomorrow.. 

image.thumb.png.3e36a56145b98dfdd7d49f08c2741075.png

2nd fastest at the club apparently.. and he was holding back!!

Who's the fastest?

2 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Not sure I really agree.

From last August, we've lost Assombalonga, Fletcher, Johnson and Roberts.

Obviously Sporar could turn out to be a bag of ***, and then we're a bit short in the striker department, but I don't think those 4 were particularly hard to replace, especially not with Assombalonga's total lack of effort last season.

We might be a bit weaker on paper than the end of last January, but it's not January.

Was mainly on about the wide areas tbh. I already think Uche is an improvement on Britt/Fletcher, especially the way we play. Hopefully him and Sporar can fight it out to be our no.9. 

Out wide though we’ve replaced Kebano and Bolasie with a lad from the National South league, and a young lad from the Dutch league. On paper I don’t think it’s an improvement, but I hope I’m wrong. Hopefully van Bergen and Payero are the real deal.

Also want to add that if Jones keeps up his form then he will be the best winger we’ve had in years. Big ask though, but he doesn’t seem phased at all. 

4 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

Was mainly on about the wide areas tbh. I already think Uche is an improvement on Britt/Fletcher, especially the way we play. Hopefully him and Sporar can fight it out to be our no.9. 

Out wide though we’ve replaced Kebano and Bolasie with a lad from the National South league, and a young lad from the Dutch league. On paper I don’t think it’s an improvement, but I hope I’m wrong. Hopefully van Bergen and Payero are the real deal.

Also want to add that if Jones keeps up his form then he will be the best winger we’ve had in years. Big ask though, but he doesn’t seem phased at all. 

Kebano and Bolasie came in half way through the season though, and we might well still end up bringing Bolasie back anyway (I doubt it though).

As much as I liked Kebano, Jones only needs to score 1 goal now to equal his contributions and he's played 3 games compared to Kebano's 18.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Kebano and Bolasie came in half way through the season though, and we might well still end up bringing Bolasie back anyway (I doubt it though).

As much as I liked Kebano, Jones only needs to score 1 goal now to equal his contributions and he's played 3 games compared to Kebano's 18.

True, but we weren’t good enough before January, or after January, to get in the playoffs. I don’t really get why people keep saying we only had Bolasie/Kebano from January onwards? What is the meaning of this? 

Yep, Jones looks the real deal. Fingers crossed he keeps it up. But again, not putting to much expectation on the lad.

2 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

True, but we weren’t good enough before January, or after January, to get in the playoffs. 

I guess we will all find out soon enough!!!

To be fair we were a point off the playoffs at the halfway point, a great position really but injuries and lack of depth meant we ended up miles off

11 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

I don’t really get why people keep saying we only had Bolasie/Kebano from January onwards? What is the meaning of this? 

We signed Bolasie and Kebano at the end of January, at the halfway point of the season.

So I'd say it's a faulty comparison to compare that January squad to this squad in August.

Especially when we actually did far better in the first half of last season.

I'm not expecting it given how many bodies we've brought in already, but we could very possibly bring in attacking players this January too.

• Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""