• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, boksicdink said:

Any Monday morning gossip to get excited about?

Nothing new really, just waiting for the Sporar and Van Bergen deals to go through officially. When that happens Akpom is likely on the way.

Nowt else happening unless it's very under the radar. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, estonpidge said:

Given the size of academy intakes, and the comparatively small population our catchment area covers I think we've done ok. It's not like we're in the northwest covering Manchester/Merseyside, the midlands or London with its 25m populous, so let's give credit were it's due. we've had a few who at 16-18 have looked like they may kick on but have decided that pubs and clubs are more important and not dedicated themselves to the ultimate goal.

Let's face it the last big thing was Chapman and by all accounts his attitude stank after 'that' goal, players have to take some of the responsibility for the academy's success or failure, whilst they can be taught the necessary skills only they can provide the drive and aptitude to actually fulfil their potential. 

I agree that the Academy can't be accountable for the behaviour of individuals but should that not be part of the vetting process? Attitudinal behavioural aspects are just as important as practical skills. There are arguments for the geniuses like Gazza or Merson as just two examples but they are relatively very few and far between. We have had a couple of those whose heads were far bigger than their boots and they should have been weeded out.

The catchment area thing does not sit with me as personally its quality over quantity and I have yet to see us develop real top quality, arguably the North East was once a hot bed of footballing talent and I am sure still is.

52 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

That's a weird one if true.

It smacks of a Rudy Gestede type signing. if we are struggling just hoof it up front. Of course the comparison ends there and then as Moore will actually be on the pitch and not in the medical room.

I'm not sure whether our location is an advantage rather than a disadvantage. 

Look at someone like Blackburn in the North West who are a similar sized club to us, they are competing with some massive clubs within an hour of them for players and that area is so condensed with football league clubs. 

We are competing with Sunderland and Newcastle locally and our scouting set up has been better than both of theirs in recent years. 

@Redcar Rioja I agree that the NE is an area that should develop more footballers, but the last Gem to be produced in the NE was Gazza. Who was well before the academy set up began. I personally believe that we aren't getting our U23's out on loan early enough for it to aid their development.

The law of averages shows that if you're picking from 25m not 1m you are 25 times more likely to find a gem

Edited by estonpidge
1 minute ago, estonpidge said:

@Redcar Rioja I agree that the NE is an area that should develop more footballer, but the last Gem to be produced in the NE was Gazza who was well before the academy set up began, I personally believe that we aren't getting our U23's out on loan early enough for it to aid their development, but the law of averages shows that if you're picking from 25m not 1m you are 25 times more likely to find a gem

Or conversely you have to sieve through a lot more of the 25m and the gems are harder to find. Either way I'm not sure that Academies are working as well as they should for a lot of Clubs not just ours.

The nature of the game is instant success for a manager and youth players don't sit with that scenario. Clubs like Chelsea and Man City just voraciously hoover up young players and then spit them out whereas it used to be they would be found playing for a Bury or Stockport or a Leyton Orient.

There's something doesn't sit right when the likes of Man City and Chelsea can hoover up all the best young players.

The other side of that is that as a country we seem to be producing some very good young players at the moment, I guess that could be an argument that the academies are working? 

14 minutes ago, estonpidge said:

@Redcar Rioja I agree that the NE is an area that should develop more footballers, but the last Gem to be produced in the NE was Gazza. Who was well before the academy set up began. I personally believe that we aren't getting our U23's out on loan early enough for it to aid their development.

The law of averages shows that if you're picking from 25m not 1m you are 25 times more likely to find a gem

Since Gazza came through how many players of his natural ability have we produced as a country? 

There's probably only Rooney with a similar ability at 17/18 years old. 

I just don't think any area or country churns out players with Gazza's ability on a regular basis. 

• Like 1

I believe the academy costs about £2m a year to run, most managers admit it's not competitive enough to really asses the full potential or a players ability to compete physically. Many fail to step up.i prefer the consept of a reserve or B team competing against quality opposition , I don't understand why clubs don't prefer that idea , teams from north of the border could be part of a league , I think fringe players would prefer to be playing than sat at home.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, kentucky said:

I believe the academy costs about £2m a year to run, most managers admit it's not competitive enough to really asses the full potential or a players ability to compete physically. Many fail to step up.i prefer the consept of a reserve or B team competing against quality opposition , I don't understand why clubs don't prefer that idea , teams from north of the border could be part of a league , I think fringe players would prefer to be playing than sat at home.

When I was a lad we used to call them Reserve sides but it's just not complex and sophisticated enough in this day and age.

• Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""